benzbaronDaryn
benzbaronDaryn Dork
9/22/18 1:05 a.m.

Well the stupid exhaust manifold on my fathers 2005 zx3 focus with 2.0 duratec has bad welds in the exhaust manifold, verified using the shop vac blowing  into the exhaust.  Weird there is no soot. The leak is perfect so it blows right into the hvac intake.  

Bottom line is this manifold needs to come out for welding and I could use any tips, got top three manifold bolts and a couple heat shields off so far, need to go back for round two.  More of the car probably needs to come apart.  Nice night.  

TurboFocus
TurboFocus Reader
9/22/18 7:15 a.m.

dang, wrong year for me to be too much use.

anywho, if your first gen is anything like my first gen, put it on jacks as high as you can get it.

our transmissions can be shared, that logic leads me to believe that the subframes and engine positions are pretty close/the same.

if our subframes and engine positions are the same, you should be able to reach all of the bottom bolts by reaching around the subframe from underneath.

as ive found from workin on my own mk1 focus, take everything off thats in the way and have every style of whatever mm you need. ex 15mm = socket, deep socket, wrench, extentions, wobbly arms, etc. theyre not always the easiest cars to work on

hope someone with a mk1 d-tech based focus can jump on give you  more direct help than i can

benzbaronDaryn
benzbaronDaryn Dork
9/22/18 4:55 p.m.

Got the bugger loose, now just gotta jack the engine around to be able and pull the sucker out.  Wish ford would have done better welding but for 140k miles car has been reliable.  Get some pics up later, only casualty is one broken wire.  

15mm is the key like Turbofocus says, thank god I have a 6 point matco, these bolts put up a fight and there isnt any rust, if I was back east this would be a lot funner.  

benzbaronDaryn
benzbaronDaryn Dork
9/24/18 8:54 p.m.

Got the devil out, had to loosen upper and lower motor mount and pull sucker out, tight fit.  The manifold is cracked in a few places, bringing to weld shop for repair tomorrow.  Pretty bad welding on it the manifold ripped open like a tin can.  There are also tubes inside head that are ratteling around, need fixing. The catalyst has 3 sensors on it, kind of weird.

Casualties so far, radio supression wire broke, a fuel line clip broke and I managed to pop the hydraulic motor mount, sure it was on the way out anyways at 140k miles, tried raising the engine up a bit to help getting out the manifold and motor mount bled out.  

TurboFocus
TurboFocus Reader
9/27/18 8:39 a.m.

ouch, glad its out and causalities should be cheap

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ftNWXIjntFm5vEQVKyeT89MbNbKdc6dsRrlER4CR51njd6TwOSTsV27LwHU82Zus