1 2 3 4
dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/9/16 8:28 p.m.

The but is that I was told it had a blown motor. So when I pressed further I was told that if you put five quarts in it pumps five out at the back of the motor.

This is a 1500 4x4 with the 6.0l motor. I seem to remember that the oil pressure sender is at the back of the motor and they can fail and leak.

I also seem to remember having a similar leak on my 03 H2 that also has the 6.0. Since it is a free truck that is suppose to be in otherwise very good shape. I think it is worth looking at.

Any other bits at the back of these motors that could be the problem? I have not seen the truck yet so there very well could be a hole in the block but I am trying to see what to look for if the motor is in tact. If the truck is in as good a shape as I have been told I will get it no matter what the motor issue is as I can get another motor and slap it in and still be ahead.

dropstep
dropstep Dork
7/9/16 8:42 p.m.

Theres a block off plate on the driverside above the oil filter. Seen alot of them leak but not too that extreme. The sending unit failure seems fairly common though.

untchabl
untchabl New Reader
7/9/16 8:49 p.m.

If it has the 6.0 it's more than likely a 2500 or a VortecMax I think was a 1500 with a 6.0. Regardless it's worth getting if it's free no matter what it is. Should be a 4L80E or 4L85E behind the 6.0 and that's worth probably $500 easily plus the transfer case is probably worth another $300-400. 2500 would have a full float 14-bolt rear axle. And the 2500HD front body work is desirable too. Local place here gets $600-800 for front fenders, hood, bumper, grill and lights.

MrJoshua
MrJoshua UltimaDork
7/9/16 9:04 p.m.

Yeah, a simple call to the junkyard gets you $400 and they pick it up. The only way you lose is if you don't get it.

nocones
nocones GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
7/9/16 9:16 p.m.

I struggle to imagine anything short of a total loss fire, or use as dead body storage could render an 05 4*4 Silverado that starts worth less than FREE.

Also seems rear main seal could lead to those symptoms.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
7/9/16 9:34 p.m.

I'm pretty sure 1500 trucks had the 5.3L or the 4.8L, not the 6.0L.

Not that it matters much- they are all LS engines.

The 2005 1500 should have an LM7 5.3L. 8th digit in the VIN code should be a "T". If the 8th digit is a "Z", it;s a flex fuel L59 5.3L.

The only 1500 that got the 6.0L was the HD Crew Cab. That's the LQ4 8th digit is "U".

dean1484
7/9/16 10:05 p.m.

This is a HD and it is a crew cab.

dean1484
7/9/16 10:07 p.m.

I am hoping it is not the rear main seal.

Cotton
Cotton UberDork
7/9/16 10:36 p.m.

It should already be on your trailer.

dean1484
7/9/16 11:32 p.m.

It may be by Monday pm.

gearheadmb
gearheadmb HalfDork
7/10/16 12:51 a.m.

PM me the sellers contact info and I'll, uh, make sure its a legit deal for you. Yeah, that's it. It could be a scam probably. I'll make sure its not.

KyAllroad
KyAllroad UltraDork
7/10/16 2:20 a.m.

I never get free trucks

You should have it already.....

tr8todd
tr8todd Dork
7/10/16 6:34 a.m.

Buddy of mine just picked up a F350 that is about 5 years old. I asked him what he did with the Chevy. His reply was that he just gave it to the guy that delivered the truck so that he didn't have to give him a ride back. Running 6.0 with 280K miles. When I started telling him what some of the pieces on the truck were worth, his face turned white as a ghost. Continually amazes me that people think something is worthless once it doesn't fit their needs anymore. My wife is driving a $1000 Range Rover, and I recently passed along to a friend a running but totaled 2003 Land Rover that he scored for $300. Took out the 4.6 and scrapped the rest to get his $300 back.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/10/16 8:04 a.m.
MrJoshua wrote: The only way you lose is if you don't get it.

^Troof.

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
7/10/16 8:59 a.m.

oil pressure sensor is on the valley cover at the very back of the engine, behind the intake and just offset to the driver's side. look there first.

if it hasnt been run dry it might be a find the issue and fix it deal. if you plan to flip it, drive it for a while to make sure it doesnt develop a knock and unintentionally screw someone over. 6 liters are not cheap, so bear in mind replacement cost, associated bits(snapping off exhaust studs, worn motor mounts, "while you're in there" stuff like belts and hoses) might make it not worthwhile if you plan to flip it but could make it a nice truck if you plan to keep it for you. you could technically toss in any cheap 5.3 or 4.8 and just have someone with hptuners program you a stock (correct size) file with the correct transmission parameters(take a stock 2005 5.3 file, swap the 4L65 parameters for the 4L80 ones from the HD) and be in business way cheaper than putting a 6.0 back in.

markwemple
markwemple SuperDork
7/10/16 10:03 a.m.

Hell, if it has a title, its worth 300 at a junkyard

dean1484
7/10/16 12:31 p.m.

It is going to be a keeper for me. I need a pick up for towing and a general get stuff done vehicle. I have been looking on and off for a while.

I know the current owner. A friend of mine. We have done million's of dollars of business together over the years.

dean1484
7/10/16 12:32 p.m.

I am going to go after the oil pressure sender first. We will see.

markwemple
markwemple SuperDork
7/10/16 12:34 p.m.
dean1484 wrote: It is going to be a keeper for me. I need a pick up for towing and a general get stuff done vehicle. I have been looking on and off for a while. I know the current owner. A friend of mine. We have done million's of dollars of business together over the years.

So its really a no brainer then.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/11/16 5:45 a.m.
dropstep wrote: Theres a block off plate on the driverside above the oil filter. Seen alot of them leak but not too that extreme. The sending unit failure seems fairly common though.

The oil pan gasket is a pretty common failure point there, too. Pressurized oil goes through it right above the oil filter. (The blockoff is for the cooler lines in some applications)

I'm going to bet sending unit unthreaded itself from the engine somehow. Even when they fail to leakage mode, they don't hemhorrage that badly. Usually. I mean, I have had seen a sender go into oil-spray mode on an old VW, but GMs use sealed connectors and the connector does a pretty good job of holding the fluids in, even under pressure.

Mind you, it will pump oil into the wiring harness in the process. (Oil-filled computers is a very common problem with certain Chryslers. That starts to get trippy, as you see oxygen sensors leaking oil from them...)

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 PowerDork
7/11/16 5:53 a.m.

There are no buts.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/11/16 7:10 a.m.
1988RedT2 wrote: There are no buts.

Everyone I know...

KyAllroad
KyAllroad UltraDork
7/11/16 8:07 a.m.

I dunno if it's the same sort of oil pressure sending unit but the one on my 350 Vortec crapped out last year and it poured out the oil like a tap had been opened.

It also showed zero oil pressure while running.

PITA spot to reach and replace but ultimately not too bad a job.

xflowgolf
xflowgolf Dork
7/11/16 9:10 a.m.

yeah a 3/4 ton crew cab that's in reasonably nice shape. I don't care if the engine is completely missing. for free? get it now.

dean1484
7/11/16 2:39 p.m.

Done deal being delivered by AAA later this week. I am excited!!!! Will post up photos. I committed to it with out inspecting it just to lock in the deal. I hope to get to inspect it tomorrow.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ZNXF8kdCa0ormdJj0ZRixnCP0cGL2l16YdWZrQsPE8Htm18z4IpU6mrChym18kvZ