D2W
D2W New Reader
10/23/14 3:07 p.m.

So my son bought a mustang, its a nice car with some upgrades. Ken Belle, some Steeda subframe parts, ect. Its really fast in a straight line but it handles like a pig. He can't afford to do everything at once so what is a good path for suspension upgrades?

GCooper
GCooper Reader
10/23/14 5:25 p.m.

I have no experience with it, but I hear good things about Maximum Motorsports and their kits

BlueInGreen44
BlueInGreen44 Reader
10/23/14 5:27 p.m.

There's a good tech tip article in the May 2014 GRM about modifying that generation of Mustangs. I just re-read that one last night.

Will
Will SuperDork
10/23/14 6:13 p.m.

I'd call Sam Strano.

http://www.stranoparts.com/

RexSeven
RexSeven UberDork
10/23/14 6:58 p.m.

Maximum Motorsports make good stuff (I have their caster/camber plates on my 2013 V-6). Whiteline, Steeda, and BMR also make good parts like control arms.

One thing to remember is that if you lower the Mustang, you will need to get an adjustable Panhard bar or Watt's link to re-center the rear axle. Forum member SkyRender has a whole series on MotoIQ about how he modified his 2012 GT.

http://www.motoiq.com/Projects/Ford/Mustang50(Grey).aspx

Mr_Clutch42
Mr_Clutch42 Dork
10/23/14 10:23 p.m.

The easiest way is to trade it in for a NB Miata. I would say that the first thing to do is to put Koni Yellow or Bilstein sport shocks.

ddavidv
ddavidv PowerDork
10/24/14 6:38 a.m.

Here's a thread I started almost a year ago on the S197 forum when I began shopping for one. Most of the respondents are guys who actually track their cars and don't just spout off internet myths. S197 forum-making a Mustang handle like a BMW Couple it with the GRM suggestions and you should be set. Strano's sway bars are considered the best out there.

Mad_Ratel
Mad_Ratel Reader
10/24/14 7:05 a.m.

Oddly enough I have a buddy that uses his bullit s197 for track days only with Cortex Racing in california. They had nothing but BAD things to say about strano's sway/spring setup for track days.

They also recommend a Watt's link as the very first mod done. Then shocks. If he does not care about class, a link and some koni's will go a long way.

I'm personally saving up for either a set of http://www.vorshlag.com/product_info.php?cPath=141_142_179&products_id=559 those. or a full set of yellows plus springs...

I just cannot make my mind up to either follow strano and do koni str's with springs or koni yellows.

HiTempguy
HiTempguy UberDork
10/24/14 7:23 a.m.
Will wrote: I'd call Sam Strano. http://www.stranoparts.com/

I wouldn't, I don't support people with bad customer service and he is a complete ASS. And his parts aren't anything special.

fasted58
fasted58 PowerDork
10/24/14 8:40 a.m.

Every build can be a compromise, spend a lotta time researching before spending a nickel.

As a street driven car went w/ a conservative 1.0" F/ 1.25" R drop w/ Steeda Sport springs, Tokico D-Spec struts/ shocks, GT-500 strut mounts, Eibach tubular rear LCAs, BMR adjustable panhard bar w/ brace, camber bolts, strut tower brace. Still on stock sway bars yet w/ Prothane bushings. While I was in there I added GT-500 front LCAs and replaced the I/O tie rod ends w/ Moog at 48K miles. As a 'first step' it's a good handling road car. Might upgrade sway bars down the road as things progress.

Local road conditions were a major consideration w/ the mild spring drop. Tubular LCAs made a huge difference in launch over stock. Strut tower brace is a must. Love the D-Specs for adjustability. Steeda, Ford Racing, BMR, Eibach are good names by me.

Replace the rear parking brake cables while yur in there, they are prone to sticking w/ age.

Sky_Render
Sky_Render Dork
10/24/14 9:40 a.m.

Shocks, springs, and camber plates will make a big difference. Stiffer sway bars, if you can afford them. I recommend Koni Yellows for the dampers and BMR for the sway bars.

Watts link? I'm not convinced. There are plenty of very fast AIX cars not using them. The lateral displacement of the rear axle, when using a panhard bar with stiff bushings or rod ends, is very slight, on the order of less than a quarter inch. The tire sidewalls deflect more than that.

nderwater
nderwater PowerDork
10/24/14 10:03 a.m.

I don't mean to hijack, but do any of you know whether the suspension recommendations in this thread are applicable to the Mustang rear-end parts on the Factory Five Roadster? My dad is really interested in starting a FFR build, but wants to get the suspension stuff figured out before he purchases anything.

ddavidv
ddavidv PowerDork
10/24/14 3:54 p.m.

FFR is Fox/SN95 chassis to my knowledge. S197 is different.

D2W
D2W New Reader
10/27/14 3:41 p.m.

Thanks for the info, looks like its time to start spending his money.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
fOtjzMX6mEiL2tO7i68iANVt2KfmTtGCx94QPkQ01AQleE5HvCy4pvHAkWj6WA1E