Wayslow
Wayslow HalfDork
3/15/18 6:12 p.m.

As the title states my Daughter's Accent randomly shut off tonight for the third time. She had been driving on the freeway and it shut off, without warning, at the top of the exit ramp. It cranked over but didn't try to start. She called me but by the time I got there she had been able to restart the car and pull it to the shoulder. She stated that it jerked and shuttered while she was pulling it off the road. I jumped in and it started right up and ran fine. It's back to running like a top now. It did this to her before but, those times, she stated that it felt like it was running out of ges before it quit. It restarted after sitting for 15 or so minutes those times too. No codes wee registered.

I'm suspecting either fuel pump or crank position sensor. I only have her description to go by since it always runs fine when I drive it. What say the hive?

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/15/18 6:58 p.m.

In reply to Wayslow :

I suggest she drives it like she stole it & tries to catch some air more often. At least that's what I did with my 2007 and I never had this problem.

TJL
TJL New Reader
3/15/18 7:05 p.m.

My wife had a 08 hyundai car, elantra i think. If i remember right it was behaving similar to your description, ended up being the fuel pump. I recall it being much easier than i thought it might be to swap. 

Stealthtercel
Stealthtercel Dork
3/15/18 10:03 p.m.

I have no idea whatsoever if this makes any sense, but what jumped out at me from the description was the possibility that Large Adult Male = running car and Smaller, Younger Female = intermittently running car.  Is there any aspect of the vehicle that might work better with your weight in the driver's seat than it does with hers?  For example, do you tilt the car, and therefore the fuel pump, just enough to keep a marginal unit functioning?

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
CnZwuz3SwXChOrD6l8viWxkoMJwRkb6tU3W16UBWjqBoj1lvHAN5C3LIPGtMjNhj