dankspeed
dankspeed HalfDork
3/14/19 12:24 p.m.

So I decided to start a separate thread about XBs from my other thread just because it's not considered very sporty.

Any thoughts on these?

I'd be looking for a manual and like the special edition "series"

I know they come with 2.4 that the camry and TC get. 

Not sure why they only got a 5spd ( i believe the TC had a 6spd)

Look to fill my needs regarding safety and room for my daughters car seat and bike. 

Not anywhere near as fast as a MS3 or Focus ST but with the 2.4 should not be slow.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
3/14/19 12:36 p.m.

I like these Xb's but they are not small.  I see them as being akin to the Rav4 of the same era just w/o the larger rear cargo area of the Rav4.  Aside from not being small, they also don't get good mpg; rated at 22/24/28.  That big box is not aero.  

If looking at Xb then also look at Matrix/Vibe.  In '08+ the Vibe/Matrix came with 1.8L base and 2.4L upgrade.  Both available in manual trans.  Before '08 all Vibe/Martix were 1.8L

1.8L = mpg of 26/28/32

2.4L = mpg of 21/24/28

dankspeed
dankspeed HalfDork
3/14/19 1:20 p.m.

Honestly I wouldn't even look at these if it wasn't for their odd shape.  I don't think 28 on the hwy is that bad. 

I also think they look nice lowered with a larger set of wheels.

dxman92
dxman92 Reader
3/14/19 8:36 p.m.

I almost bought one. They don't seem to have as much room with seats up as one might think. They shine in cargo room with back seat down. Nice interior tho..

Curtis
Curtis GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
3/15/19 5:54 a.m.

My ex had the earlier generation (2005) xB with the 1.5L.  Slow, but 30+ mpg.  Couldn't kill it.  I called it the Tardis because it was much bigger on the inside.  

sleepyhead
sleepyhead GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
3/15/19 6:37 a.m.

I remember when I was researching these around 2016 that there was a bunch of complaints about oil burn... which seems to be shared across that engine family?

G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man UltraDork
3/15/19 12:04 p.m.

The 7.0 is the best one because Murasaki Purple, the 2nd gen xBs had an available TRD supercharger, they were pretty hefty but with coilovers, sway bars and the available TRD big brake kit they're actually kinda fun despite the stability control being non-defeatable. The car seat will fit and the bike will fit although I'm not sure if both will fit at the same time. IIRC they had good safety ratings.

dankspeed
dankspeed HalfDork
3/15/19 2:35 p.m.
sleepyhead said:

I remember when I was researching these around 2016 that there was a bunch of complaints about oil burn... which seems to be shared across that engine family?

I thought I had read that was isolated to the 08' and possibly '09 only...

dankspeed
dankspeed HalfDork
3/16/19 1:57 a.m.

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/l-Used-Scion-xB-d435?sourceContext=facebook&utm_campaign=remarket&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=facebook#listing=228580061

Found this one. Looks like a great deal and I love the color. Getting it bought and back to Ohio seems almost too much trouble though. 

I've done fly and drives but from Cali?!?!

Love that purple color above as well. Sadly the ones I can find are all autos. The red is also nice and there's also a very bright almost smurf blue that looks good as well.

dankspeed
dankspeed HalfDork
3/16/19 8:58 a.m.

There seems to be about a $2000-2500 bump from regular XB to Series# XB. Do you guys feel that's?

Looks like I'd have to do some decent traveling if I want a special one and I really do but that's a lot of money left over to make improvements...

dankspeed
dankspeed HalfDork
3/22/19 5:28 p.m.

dankspeed
dankspeed HalfDork
3/22/19 5:30 p.m.

Picked this up on Wednesday. Not sold on the wheel color but love the car.

Dootz
Dootz New Reader
3/22/19 6:10 p.m.

The only advantage the 2nd gen has is more power. The 1st gets better gas mileage, weighs significantly less, and feels much less claustrophobic thanks to great visibility

chandler
chandler PowerDork
3/22/19 7:42 p.m.

My brother has some special edition also, didn’t realize there were so many different versions.

Jerry
Jerry UberDork
3/25/19 12:47 p.m.

I've owned two different 1gen xB's, an '06 from 2008 to 2014? I think, and just recently had an '04 for two years.  I love these things, like someone mentioned it's like a Tardis on the inside.

I met a bunch of Scion people with the first one, many ended up with 2gen cars.  Dated a girl with one, a friend ended up buying a fully loaded Release Series including leather seats "Because she wanted a red car".

I will take an older one over the xB2 any day for looks, but the xB2 definitely had more power.  I knew two guys with manuals, and would go that route myself.  Typical Toyota, watch the fluids they run forever.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
RTAIfvX0aXp8Spi3mwfaAEJNf0n7ZF4llfZoAZuheTwoW1DTD2eLHfM3dLi8Spdp