Wowak
Wowak SuperDork
7/20/08 4:55 p.m.
feature_image

I really don't see the P1800 in this car at all. And I like the P1800.

Read the rest of the story

GlennS
GlennS Dork
3/18/09 10:22 p.m.

I drove on of these as well as a mazda speed 3 today. I felt that the volvo was far less likely to kill me.

integraguy
integraguy UltraDork
10/18/11 9:41 a.m.

If anyone reads: My godson bought one of these recently. Ironically, one of the cars he "cross-shopped" was a Mini. His comments pretty much mirrored those made by the staff writers for GRM. I'm just a little ticked he didn't invite to take a test drive or go for a ride (but time constraints prevented that). His is silver, no idea which transmission, but would guess the automatic.

Tom Heath
Tom Heath UberDork
12/10/13 12:00 a.m.

Okay, so the MINI brand isn't the only European manufacturer looking to cash in on a nostalgic styling icon. While it never saw a production volume or worldwide distribution like the original Mini, Volvo's charismatic P1800 wagon certainly had its share of die-hard fans. When it came time to style their new C30 hatchback, Volvo referred to the wayback machine for a dose of classic good looks.

The supersized rear glass certainly does the trick, and along with novel styling cues on the dash and interior, you won't likely confuse the C30 with its market rivals. We were really impressed with the seats; the C30 had some of the most comfortable butt-huggers we've tried all year.

The Volvo isn't as quick as its 227 horsepower rating might suggest, but it still provides more than enough grunt to move through traffic. The suspension is perfectly adequate, as well, but it doesn't have the feel of a performance-focused car.

In the end, we thought the C30 was a great car that felt much more luxurious and classy than its price point would suggest. If you're shopping this segment, the Volvo is worth a look.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
yN1oZCTKSoi4RstJ9fmLneRDaBqxAXOhlYpiC4x4RhIUpCyWtyOa3SNq7z1us2tD