RandyS
RandyS New Reader
12/24/08 8:56 a.m.

Like many of you I cruise ebay and CL for parts deals nearly daily. In the last 2 months I have really noticed prices for used parts have come down at least 30%.

People are eager to sell fast in order to pay their mortgage and health insurance while buyers are not as easily parted with their money due to job uncertanty.

The quality of car made for the 2009 challenge has just become $2611 in 2007 dollars.

Possibly the $1500 challenge sub-category should be more emphasised?

miatame2
miatame2 New Reader
12/24/08 9:07 a.m.

I don't agree...with the part about emphasising the $1500. While used parts may be coming down it still is not easy to make a top 10 Challenge car. A lot of HOURS still need to be spent to make a worthy car, not just a bunch of parts.

So here's to hoping the $2009 Challenge is the best one yet! I sure hope our entry is worthy!

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter Online Editor
12/24/08 9:12 a.m.

You could GIVE me all the parts to make a competitive Challenge car, plus a team of helper monkeys, and I still couldn't pull off what the top guys are doing. It's just amazing.

I would, however, enjoy the helper monkeys, at least until they got fat and lazy.

m4ff3w
m4ff3w GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/24/08 11:33 a.m.

Tim- How long have you been holding onto that image waiting to use it?

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter Online Editor
12/24/08 11:41 a.m.

Just went and found it. But the knowledge that Homer's helper monkey was named Mojo has been rattling around my brain about 10 years.

MrJoshua
MrJoshua SuperDork
12/24/08 12:45 p.m.

The counter to this argument is that almost all of the "free if you drag it away and it never comes back" cars were all drug away and scrapped when recycle prices were high.

MrJoshua
MrJoshua SuperDork
12/24/08 12:45 p.m.

The counter to this argument is that almost all of the "free if you drag it away and it never comes back" cars were all drug away and scrapped when recycle prices were high.

MrJoshua
MrJoshua SuperDork
12/24/08 12:46 p.m.

ooooooh-fancy double post error!

wheels777
wheels777 HalfDork
12/24/08 8:39 p.m.
MrJoshua wrote: The counter to this argument is that almost all of the "free if you drag it away and it never comes back" cars were all drug away and scrapped when recycle prices were high.

This week there was a 65 Chevelle convertible and a 65 Implala convertible, both in restorable shape hauled into the recycler down the street. There was also a 49 Chev P-U that could be saved. It is amazing how much stuff is still being junked and the current scrap price is $1.75/100#.

Goldmember
Goldmember New Reader
12/24/08 9:23 p.m.

Heh heh. Helper monkeys.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/25/08 1:38 p.m.
wheels777 wrote:
MrJoshua wrote: The counter to this argument is that almost all of the "free if you drag it away and it never comes back" cars were all drug away and scrapped when recycle prices were high.
This week there was a 65 Chevelle convertible and a 65 Implala convertible, both in restorable shape hauled into the recycler down the street. There was also a 49 Chev P-U that could be saved. It is amazing how much stuff is still being junked and the current scrap price is $1.75/100#.

please tell me that all three have found homes at the Nelson Farm for Wayward and Neglected Domestic Beasts.

Tommy Suddard
Tommy Suddard GRM+ Member
12/25/08 3:46 p.m.
Tim Baxter wrote: You could GIVE me all the parts to make a competitive Challenge car, plus a team of helper monkeys, and I still couldn't pull off what the top guys are doing. It's just amazing. I would, however, enjoy the helper monkeys, at least until they got fat and lazy.

What about a bunch of captive children?

wheels777
wheels777 HalfDork
12/25/08 8:23 p.m.
AngryCorvair wrote:
wheels777 wrote:
please tell me that all three have found homes at the Nelson Farm for Wayward and Neglected Domestic Beasts.

Sadly, no. Once they cross the scales...it's over. They pull the tank and tires and drop 'em into the shredder. I did save one before it went across the scales last week. I got a near rust free 68 Cortina for $125. The floors and trunk are absolutely perfect.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
VxAS8QUXpQxMi2dsgCKDUb4RaOH7djzurH0xDfnbtf5g26JjaNAdVdFO2uKMsOrc