1 2
Wizard_Of_Maz
Wizard_Of_Maz Reader
3/8/21 12:32 p.m.

Hey all,

I've got tires on the brain. Here's the deal - for some reason, I still enjoy living in Brooklyn (this is now the biggest waste of money in my life after I gave up on E36s...). As the next season of autocross approaches, I'm looking for some 200TW tires that will also prove livable on the street. I've done enough autocross and w2w where I finally feel like I can really use most of what a high-gripping tire has to offer. With that in mind...

-I don't really have storage space for a second set of tires. The plan is to store my current all-seasons at my parents' place in Northern VA and run the 200tw set from April-October(ish)
-Speaking of, I make the round trip trek from Brooklyn to DC/Northern VA about once a month to visit my family and girlfriend. So a tire that's livable on the road would be nice
-Based on the mods on my BRZ, I'm looking at STX class. I really don't care too too much about classing or outright competitiveness (being locally competitive is fine by me), but since I spend most of my time with SCCA autocross, I think it makes the most sense to try and build toward that class. For Toyoburu people, that means 17x9 wheels/tires (245/40/17)
-And speaking of tire size - do you think I could get by running 17x8 on 225/235? I know there's variance between manufacturers when it comes to width, but generally speaking, 9 inch wide tires and 245s seems like a lot for a BRZ without any engine mods. Maybe I'm overthinking this, but I'm ok sacrificing a bit of competitiveness for something more manageable for livability

That's a long way to say that any 200tw tire recommendations would be greatly appreciated (as well as tire/wheel size. Something about driving with 245s has me a tad worried...). I've thought about the 595s, and I could probably live with the road noise. Ditto to RS4s. I feel like the RE71/A052/Rivals would probably be wasted on me, as I'll spend more time DD'ing on these tires than I will flinging them around cones.

Thanks a bunch for any guidance.

-Christopher

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
3/8/21 12:36 p.m.

I love the RS-4's. I think that they are the right tire for the "all-around" category. 

captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
captdownshift (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
3/8/21 12:39 p.m.

Honestly on a daily making highway trips, I wouldn't go with a 200tw even if you had the ability as a driver to podium at nationals. I'd get some conti ECS and call it a day. 

Apexcarver
Apexcarver UltimaDork
3/8/21 12:48 p.m.

Stock size on my mustang was 245/45/17 on 17x8, so I dont think 235's would be problematic on there, if thats what you are asking.  (im running 17x9's on it now, the 17x8's still have the 245 Azenis RT215's mounted on them in wheel/tire storage stack)

I did a lot of 3 season driving on 200tw tires with my STS miata. I find it to be for the best. Daily driving them they would age out and wear out at about the same time, and that was with some good weekend trips.  Its hard to really go wrong with the tires that you are naming. Yeah, one of them might be worth a tenth or two, but if you havent been used to running even 200tw, its doubtful that you arent leaving a lot more on the table just with driving. So, dont worry about it and just get something in the correct category on and get seat time. Towards the end of the tire life, be EXTREMELY careful in heavy rains, especially on the highway. hydroplaning happens. 

You dont really mention what yearly mileage you are talking about...  what would be helpful. 

Wizard_Of_Maz
Wizard_Of_Maz Reader
3/8/21 1:00 p.m.

Thanks all - I'm thinking 6-7k yearly miles and probably 8-10 events. Heck, that might see me through two sets of tires. Definitely looking at the ECS and the RS4. And to your point Apexcarver, I think DD'ing on them would make sure I don't keep them too long. Like you said, I'm not concerned with tenths, just prioritizing livability and safety on the street. 

pimpm3 (Forum Supporter)
pimpm3 (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
3/8/21 1:21 p.m.

ECS and RS4 are not really in the same class. ECS is more a street tire that you can occasionally autocross.

If you want a 200TW that is long lived and still competitive at an autocross an RS4 is hard to beat.  I have run them on my e36 m3 for track days and on my 2zz swapped mr2 in autocross and have been impressed both on the street and off.

Vajingo
Vajingo Reader
3/8/21 1:44 p.m.

Or bfg rivals summer tire. I have them in the Miata and post great times with them. 

Wizard_Of_Maz
Wizard_Of_Maz Reader
3/8/21 1:48 p.m.

Have you found that the rivals hold up on the street? And for the RS4, can they handle an occasional battle with rain? I dont intend to drive them in the rain, but if you get caught out, you get caught out

Snrub
Snrub Dork
3/8/21 2:16 p.m.

Rivals aren't great in the rain, but they're not terrible in non-standing water conditions. RS-4s are reputed to be decent in the rain for a 200tw tire (no personal experience).

ShinnyGroove (Forum Supporter)
ShinnyGroove (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
3/8/21 2:32 p.m.

I've driven RS-4's in the rain on the track and they were fine.  Not as grippy as RE-71's but I didn't have any issues with hydroplaning or anything.  At regular highway speeds I think they'd be safe.  For your needs I think the biggest reason not to go with RS-4's is that they are LOUD on the highway.  The ECS seems like a better fit for you; good street tire with good tread life and surprisingly good performance when pushed.

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Director of Marketing & Digital Assets
3/8/21 2:36 p.m.

I'd go with the Falken. The RT615K+ is good in the rain, long-lived, and fairly affordable. 

CAinCA
CAinCA GRM+ Memberand Reader
3/8/21 3:33 p.m.

RS-4s or Dunlop Direzza IIIs  both have decent tire life and and are good AutoX/track day tires. They are noisier and rougher riding than a good all season though.

spacecadet (Forum Supporter)
spacecadet (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
3/8/21 4:59 p.m.

My personal recommendation flys against what Tom recommends because my buddy with 615K+ of decent width said they were absolutely garbage in the rain. otherwise, would fit your needs fine.wear like iron and will last with street miles.

I think for what you're talking about.. spending the money on some Michelin PS4S will have the best balance of street manners, rain manners and also being able to hold up at the track or autocross. The ECS wear like pencil erasers, but if they're cheap enough, it might be worth trying to see if you can make a full season work for them.

also of note, all 200tw tires will heat cycle by being out in the sun on the car.

preach (fs)
preach (fs) GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
3/8/21 5:14 p.m.

I loved my azenis on my '99 2.5rs on tien coilovers.

Wizard_Of_Maz
Wizard_Of_Maz Reader
3/8/21 10:31 p.m.

Does anyone have experience with the federal rs-pros? I know the RSRR is known for being louder than a jet engine, but supposedly the rs-pros arent as bad...

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
3/9/21 5:07 a.m.

In reply to spacecadet (Forum Supporter) :

Having had the 615k I have to agree with Tom. Now down near the wear bars I'm sure they sucked. But what tire doesn't?

NickD
NickD MegaDork
3/9/21 5:17 a.m.

I see a lot of recommendations for the R-S4, but its going out of production, and at least on Tire Rack it is only available in one 16" size and three 19" sizes.

I'll throw in the Nexen N Fera SUR4G. I put about 9000 miles on a set with 12 autocross and about 60 laps of the local 1.1 mile race track and they still had a good bit of tread on them. The only reason I retired them was because one of my alignment eccentrics slipped and it went to -4 degrees of camber on one corner and I never noticed/checked, so it chewed the inner edge down to the carcass. They had awesome grip, good road manners and were pretty solid in the rain.

kevinatfms
kevinatfms GRM+ Memberand Reader
3/9/21 5:24 a.m.

I have run the RS-RR's and RS-Pros now in the wet and extreme cold without issue. For the price, they are a good option if you want a cheap tire that is still capable after the wear and tear of weather/elements. If you do end up cracking them youre only out $400 compared to double that for any of the "nicer" tires.

kevinatfms
3/9/21 5:26 a.m.
Wizard_Of_Maz said:

Does anyone have experience with the federal rs-pros? I know the RSRR is known for being louder than a jet engine, but supposedly the rs-pros arent as bad...

Its about half of what the RS-RR's run as far as decibels. On par with a worn R888 or worn RE71R. Low pitched hum.

The RS-RR sounds like a freight train at anything over 30mph in any vehicle - Miata, Elantra, Fiesta, Focus,  Mustang, Civic and Sentra(from what ive ridden in).

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
3/9/21 5:35 a.m.

In reply to NickD :

Not out of production. Hankook sends over a set amount of them per year. Once they are gone they are gone until next year. I had a thread in here asking about that this winter. They still offer them the tire rack doesn't currently have product. 

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/9/21 7:12 a.m.
NickD said:

I see a lot of recommendations for the R-S4, but its going out of production, and at least on Tire Rack it is only available in one 16" size and three 19" sizes.

I'll throw in the Nexen N Fera SUR4G. I put about 9000 miles on a set with 12 autocross and about 60 laps of the local 1.1 mile race track and they still had a good bit of tread on them. The only reason I retired them was because one of my alignment eccentrics slipped and it went to -4 degrees of camber on one corner and I never noticed/checked, so it chewed the inner edge down to the carcass. They had awesome grip, good road manners and were pretty solid in the rain.

I don't think rs4 are going out of production.

Tire rack only gets one shipment a year.  Usually around March.  Tire rack pulls the sizes off the website when they are out of stock.

You can still order them from hankook NA out of Texas.

My vote is rs4.  Wear like iron.  You can track them in the rain, great all around 200tw tire.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
3/9/21 9:01 a.m.

To jump in here, I need an autocross-first 200TW tire for the Manic Miata.  They will get a couple thousand miles a year tops commuting to work once a week in summer and driving 30 miles +/- each way to autocross events.  Wet performance is not a major priority.

I have Rival S 1.5s now in 225/45/R15 on a 9" wheel.  They are about 3 years old and are pretty aged out, plus they've been on the car in the garage over 3 winters.  They never seemed as grippy as I hoped.

What should I get?  I run SSM and I know the answer is Hohos but as an event organizer I don't really have time to swap wheels at the event.

ShinnyGroove (Forum Supporter)
ShinnyGroove (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
3/9/21 10:03 a.m.
NickD said:

I took a flyer on these as a cheap track tire for my Cayman and I was actually impressed.  They reminded me a lot of the RS4's in terms of grip and wear characteristics.  Like the RS4, also noisy on the road.  I paid less than half of what a set of PS4S would have cost.

kevinatfms
3/9/21 11:06 a.m.
Duke said:

To jump in here, I need an autocross-first 200TW tire for the Manic Miata.  They will get a couple thousand miles a year tops commuting to work once a week in summer and driving 30 miles +/- each way to autocross events.  Wet performance is not a major priority.

I have Rival S 1.5s now in 225/45/R15 on a 9" wheel.  They are about 3 years old and are pretty aged out, plus they've been on the car in the garage over 3 winters.  They never seemed as grippy as I hoped.

What should I get?  I run SSM and I know the answer is Hohos but as an event organizer I don't really have time to swap wheels at the event.

Check out the new Nankang NS2R. $125/tire and they are quite good. Phils has them in stock.

captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
captdownshift (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
3/9/21 11:34 a.m.

In reply to Duke :

CR-1 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
EW4DxK020xnhAWdvXf7IFaRHkt9LW9ljnETelj051TTZkCVmHy5DWvvH2hjYcC0c