1 2
ArtOfRuin
ArtOfRuin Reader
5/21/08 7:59 a.m.
PHeller
PHeller New Reader
5/21/08 8:08 a.m.

And you know what incredible, with all these damn safety regulations, and the demand for nicer interiors and more sound proofing, the day of the cheap, stripped down, ugly as sin, light weight, thin door panel, rattle trap of a Geo Metro will never come again.

I've been hitting Craigslist daily for Metro's in my area.

nocones
nocones GRM+ Member
5/21/08 8:17 a.m.

I wonder if Brenton Netz is a used car dealer?

MyOldMGB
MyOldMGB None
5/21/08 8:32 a.m.

LOL -- I nearly fell over myself . . . $7K for a used one?! My dad used to eek out 40 mpg on a Dodge Omni . . . please don't let anyone catch wind on that one or we'll have a run on them! :-) (And no, it wasn't a turbo one!)

Per Schroeder
Per Schroeder Technical Editor/Advertising Director
5/21/08 9:30 a.m.

I actually picked the 'bad' transmission (3.55) for the Neon project, I want to see if I can get it to 40mpg.

beaulieu
beaulieu New Reader
5/21/08 9:41 a.m.

they have been on the national news , as a way to get great milage, so many more people are looking for them ,

wait 6 months and they will be back down to normal prices...

Beaulieu

neon4891
neon4891 New Reader
5/21/08 9:49 a.m.
beaulieu wrote: they have been on the national news , as a way to get great milage, so many more people are looking for them , wait 6 months and they will be back down to normal prices... Beaulieu

or wait 6 months and could be even more exspensive.

Better yet, If you have a 100 mile camuet, moving closer could save you more money and TIME.

BTW I would like to look up the Honda insite,

PubBurgers
PubBurgers New Reader
5/21/08 9:55 a.m.

Makes me wonder if i should put my CRX DX for sale at some ludicrous price. Think it would work?

ValuePack
ValuePack HalfDork
5/21/08 11:01 a.m.
Quote: The 1996 2-door 3-cylinder Metro Solomon now owns opened on eBay May 7 with a bid of $200. A week later, Solomon won the car auction with a bid of $7,300.

Words fail me.

kilgoretrout
kilgoretrout
5/21/08 3:57 p.m.

$7,300 for a Geo? Makes me wonder how much the Civic VX is going for.

steved033
steved033 New Reader
5/21/08 4:20 p.m.

All I thought at the end of the article was...."I wonder how much Marci Solomon wieghs."

girl's gotta eat, ya know....

sjd

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter Online Editor
5/21/08 4:55 p.m.
Per Schroeder wrote: I actually picked the 'bad' transmission (3.55) for the Neon project, I want to see if I can get it to 40mpg.

Per, my wife swears she was getting 38 in our R/T. Granted she drives with a really light foot, but I think it's definitely possible.

billy3esq
billy3esq Dork
5/21/08 5:26 p.m.

I got mid-30s in an ACR sedan on a road trip many years ago, and that was with a pretty heavy right foot, but all freeway cruising.

Back on-topic, I wonder if Marci what's-her-name realizes that the $6k over reasonable value she paid for the Geo would buy roughly two years worth of commute gas for her Honda Element.

Nomad
Nomad New Reader
5/21/08 6:43 p.m.

Wait one year, or even a few months after this news story dies down, and they'll be dumped on the market for peanuts. Once people go from "normal cars" of today and step into the cheapness that is the geo metro they'll get rid of it after the fun of 40mpg dies off.

You can't tell me the average "rolling chicane" commuter will put up with not having good A/C, locking their own doors, rolling up windows, loud, slow, and most importantly ugly cars like we do.

donalson
donalson SuperDork
5/21/08 6:56 p.m.

i got a consistant 33mpg out of my dohc ACR delivering pizza... with a heavy foot... it got a bit better when i was doing interstate... but reving at 4k+ doesn't help for MPG... normal HW speeds (non interstate 55-60) is much more tollerable

whenever i need a clutch i'll be going to the non ACR sport trans... i love the gearing for the lower gears but would rather have more of a REAL overdrive then just another gear on top... then again doing 55-60 should net some nice mpg numbers in the neon :)

donalson
donalson SuperDork
5/21/08 7:04 p.m.
billy3esq wrote: Back on-topic, I wonder if Marci what's-her-name realizes that the $6k over reasonable value she paid for the Geo would buy roughly two years worth of commute gas for her Honda Element.

I used to think like that... i think a lot of people do/did when they see what kind of MPG they COULD be getting... but then I crunched the numbers... even doubling your MPG dosen't make a HUGE difference if you live close to your job and don't travel out of down often... even with todays $4 gas but even less so back when gas was sub $2

point... 15,000 miles a year 30mpg = 500 gallons of gas = $2000 @ $4 15mpg = 1000 gallons of gas = $4000 @ $4

not saying 2gs isn't A LOT of money... but i find it funny people who are trading in their trucks/SUV's, taking a HUGE loss on them then to buy a new yaris, prius, civic, or whatever other high MPG car...

I suppose it did help my bro-in-law get $2500 on trade in on his '98 metro a few months ago though lol... but that car is already long gone off the lots

neon4891
neon4891 Reader
5/21/08 7:15 p.m.

The mileage sounds good, but I still have an aversion to metros since someone very close to me died in an accident in one.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/21/08 8:06 p.m.

While the miliage is great in them.. there are a whole slew of the cars we love that get 30+ mpg. Everything from Miatas to BMW 318s, Neons, Rabbits, Saabs, and even the occasional omni.

I doubt our version of fun will be gone anytime soon

MCarp22
MCarp22
5/21/08 8:47 p.m.
Per Schroeder wrote: I actually picked the 'bad' transmission (3.55) for the Neon project, I want to see if I can get it to 40mpg.

40mpg is easy, i've recorded 40mpg trips with all 3 (soon to be 4) of my neons.

My buddy chris over on neons.org has been hypermiling his neon to 50mpg:

http://forums.neons.org/viewtopic.php?t=308549

PubBurgers
PubBurgers HalfDork
5/21/08 9:31 p.m.

Just put my CRX on craigslist for a crazy sum of money. Maybe i'm a bad person but i kind of want to see if anyone bites with these "horrible" gas prices.

Keith
Keith GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/21/08 9:43 p.m.

My 1966 Cadillac gets about 12-14 mpg - but it only costs me $100/year to insure and I have about $3000 in the car. Makes up for gas prices pretty fast. Time to stock up on big sleds!

I took a 350 mile trip this past weekend. It mixed 70+ mph cruising, six 10,000+ foot passes (two were 10,900), second gear hairpins and the like. The AC was on for a good part of the time. I wasn't trying to hypermile, just have a good time. I got 32 mpg - in a 1990 Miata with a Voodoo II turbo and enough power to pass fairly easily even two miles above sea level. Seems like a pretty good compromise to me.

ArtOfRuin
ArtOfRuin Reader
5/22/08 5:41 a.m.
PubBurgers wrote: Just put my CRX on craigslist for a crazy sum of money. Maybe i'm a bad person but i kind of want to see if anyone bites with these "horrible" gas prices.

As long as you list the gas mileage and put "Geo Metro" somewhere in the listing, you might just get that crazy price you listed it for. :grin:

bastomatic
bastomatic Dork
5/22/08 8:12 a.m.
kilgoretrout wrote: $7,300 for a Geo? Makes me wonder how much the Civic VX is going for.

Well, there has only been one on eBay in the last few weeks, and it went for $3500. That's with 150k miles and no A/C. Really makes me wonder what mine, with A/C and 130k miles, would fetch. But not enough to sell it!

Last time someone stopped me on the street and asked how much I wanted for it I said $7k. The guy actually had to think a while about it! I paid $2500 nearly 6 years ago now, at 47k miles.

CanexicanStig
CanexicanStig Dork
5/22/08 8:16 a.m.

In the words of my brother "Buy the berkeleyiing car, bitch:"

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/car/690529120.html

I may take a look at this one this weekened.

bastomatic
bastomatic Dork
5/22/08 8:21 a.m.

Holy crap I thought this was a joke. One recently went for $6k on eBeast with 60k miles. A 1991 for chrissakes! Closing prices average between 3-7 thousand damn dollars. They weren't much more than that new, were they?

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
oGHJL59aHBwciCApMargStIxKXj4CjsOW6nMx0qPxsThKcUmnf6Ud3LHyc07QRBb