wherethefmi
wherethefmi Dork
6/26/09 1:51 p.m.
feature_image

Are you sure it's a live axle? I thought they all had 4 wheel independant suspensions?!?

Read the rest of the story

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
6/26/09 2:07 p.m.

Doh, rushed when typing. Yes, GM calls is a 4.5 link rear suspension. Maybe it's the short sidewalls, but it feels like a live axle when driving around.

Hasbro
Hasbro SuperDork
6/27/09 7:24 p.m.

No comments re. the suspension?

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado UltimaDork
6/27/09 11:50 p.m.

Personally, I'm getting tired of the whole retro thing. Especially from US manufacturers. Ford's last T-birds (before their own retro fallback) were pretty good cars, and almost re-defined the American GT car. I hold the same opinion of the last gen Camaro. For $22K, I could buy a real `67 instead of a look-alike. As an American sportscar fan, I'm disappointed. I'd love to see cars from my country become the equal of cars from overseas..but all this looking backward instead of forward might explain why GM & Chrysler are in so much trouble right now. Just to be clear-I'm not a big fan of the current Mustang or Challenger, either. My 2cents...YMMV.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/5/09 8:04 p.m.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. The best pony car is a used Corvette. C5 Z06 for less than V6 Camaro money plus a Certified 2-year warranty on top of what's left of the original.

miwifri
miwifri New Reader
7/7/09 8:49 p.m.

I'm with P71. This thing is heavy, underpowered and has an automatic. It's all looks and no payoff. What's to like? Get a used 'Vette if you what muscle or a used S2000 if you want finesse. You will pay less money and have some real fun.

Moparman
Moparman Dork
7/8/09 8:20 p.m.

I like that Detroit looked back to its heritage for styling cues. Styling should be evolutionary. Complete revolutions are not necessary. Besides, I cannot think of a car in its price range (or within $20k) which looks as nice as the Mustang.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/10/09 9:37 p.m.

In the past, the Camaro was was considered by many to be better looking, and had more power at a lower cost. But the Mustang still outsold it. Now, the Camaro still has lots of power at great price and looks cool. But the Mustang looks great, is a great value, and versions like the Shelby GT500 are sex on wheels. I think it will be an interesting competition on the sales floor and the track!

sab123
sab123
7/19/09 3:49 a.m.

Come on, "modern looks"? Most of the automotive design since early 70s can be thrown away. It's garbage. It's nice that Detroit is finally returning to the good-looking cars and evolving from there. Though I'd say that the best-looking Camaro was the 2nd gen. As for Mustangs, I own an '88 one, it's an example of completely braindamaged engineering. I want to sell it and never buy another Ford ever again.

Rupert
Rupert HalfDork
8/23/10 1:47 p.m.

BIG did anyone say IT IS BIG, NO IT IS HUGE! How does any car this BIG end up so small and claustrophobic inside?

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
12/10/13 12:00 a.m.

Since 1967 the Camaro has been an American icon. While it followed the Mustang to market, the Camaro wasted little time building a huge fan base. It remained one of the General's hottest properties through the '90s.

By the start of the new millennium, the Camaro had become dated and GM threw in the towel. The Mustang was the obvious winner in that war: While the Camaro and Firebird were retired, the Mustang continued to be a success story. It triumphed in nearly every arena, from professional road racing to rental car fleets.

The Camaro was gone but not forgotten, and GM has been teasing us for years. For a while now, the promise of an all-new Camaro has been merely inches away. Heck, it's been two solid years since the car made its big-screen debut in Transformers.

The new Camaro has finally come to the showrooms, and its arrival raises a few questions: Is it exactly what's needed to reignite public interest in a bankrupt GM, or is it a look back rather than a glimpse of the future? Does America need another stylish retro car, or should manufacturers spend their energy somewhere else?

We don't think GM could have predicted the current economic situation when they planned the Camaro's relaunch, but its timing is going to be a either blessing or a curse.

GM didn't stray too far from the pony car playbook when redoing the Camaro. There's a healthy engine up front--the wimpiest option is the 304-horsepower V6 found in our 2LT-package test car--that powers the rear axle. There is one thing that's not very traditional: According to the EPA, the V6 Camaro gets a very nice 29 mpg.

The cockpit definitely favors the front-seat passengers, although tall drivers may not want to opt for the sunroof. Unlike the most recent Camaro, this one also doesn't make too many demands on passengers. Getting in and out is now much easier, and the large hump found on the passenger's floor is gone. There's even a decent trunk.

The one thing we do miss is the traditional pony car rumble. The V6 is quick, but it's kind of quiet, too. Good or bad, the Camaro is a reminder that at one time the American auto industry kicked all the ass. Can they capture that bolt of lightning once again?

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
aBoAtY7PCNBgUgprr203kKNoVJUKSdoKzTZKyYoERIPoeKanJEGDUu3u3j42KmQJ