Greg Voth
Greg Voth Dork
9/8/09 6:22 p.m.
feature_image

While I don't always agree with you Joe I respect the hell out of you for calling them like you see them.

Read the rest of the story

rwdsport
rwdsport Reader
9/10/09 1:07 a.m.

This is my baby and I have been enjoying every moment with this car since November 08. I actually posted up a pretty long review between this car, the new MX5 and the daily driver at the time (a RHD JDM 1990 Miata). I ended up going with this car... as for the money I did not feel the MX5 was right. It is a bit on the harsh ride, but nothing compared to some of the "tuners" I have driven. I think this car is the best jack of all trades in the sport economy market right now...

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
9/15/09 2:01 p.m.

awww Greg, you're gonna make me blush. Or that redness could be the Honda fanbois choking me!

miwifri
miwifri New Reader
9/21/09 6:11 p.m.

Yup, I think this car embodies the dilemma for the purist in most of us. When I drive my S2000 on long trips my head spins from sensory overload but when I get into the wife's spec b Legacy I'm thinking "this thing is a pig." I'm old but I'd still rather have the snappy suspension and zippy engine.

JohnW
JohnW Reader
10/26/09 9:15 p.m.

Joe -- you're right on the money with your assessment! If I ever buy a new Civic, it will be a 4-door LX with a 5-speed manual. I think it looks better than the Si -- and it's capable of almost 40 mpg on the highway.

I view these cars as nice, sophisticated daily drivers -- not pocket rockets.

ntvinh986
ntvinh986
11/3/09 3:31 a.m.

I hope other members would love to share their great photos and memories this site.

http://animewatching.com

grmjim09
grmjim09
11/24/09 1:46 p.m.

This is a great car! I just purchased an '09 in late July. I am not sure why someone would not like the looks and prefer the standard civic instead. The tiny little wing on the end? The few small badges? Sure as hell doesn't glare "boy racer" at you, yet it has the performance of one, right out of the box. I am happy to have a silver Si, and easily blend in with the other silver Civics and other four doors of the same size. When I drop a gear or two, stomp on the pedal, that is when I stand out of the pack. I do have to agree the view out of the cockpit is terrific, except out of the back. I am still not comfortable looking out the back, and seeing all I think I should be seeing, consequently, I am glancing all around instead. The engine noise is great, I think "angry cat", and if it is a little too much, shift up one gear. I am 6', and there is plenty of head room, and the seats are c-o-m-f-y. Coming from an '00 5 speed Maxima SE (exactly, bet you thought they didn't exist), I love the noises, and the fun. Yeah, you need to use the gearbox more, but that is part of the fun. Talk about the gearbox, its the best I have driven in ages. The slush box is remenicient of my '94 Si hatch (I have owned a '77 Civic CVCC, an '85 Civic, a '94 Civic Si, and now the 8th gen, my first sedan, the rest were hatchbacks). Better than the 6spd in my '01 Miata, definitely smoother, quieter, and easier to find the gears, they fall right in. Sometimes, I miss the "snick", but that's ok, it is still a pleasure to row through the gears.

richard_rsp
richard_rsp New Reader
11/30/09 10:52 a.m.

Ok, I can pitch in here a little. As a previous owner of a 2008 EX Sedan 5-speed and a current possessor of a 2009 Civic Si Sedan, I can directly give an owners perspective on both cars.

The EX Civic was a good car. It has plenty of pickup (as much as my 94 Civic Si), great on gas, and is well designed. However, the shifter feel is notchy (partially due to the horrible plastic shift knob), the suspension is too soft (I'd bottom the rear suspension with 4 people in the car every time), and the on-off action of the Drive-by-wire is particularly amplified (and irritating) at low, "traffic-crawling" speeds: so much that the significant other and I went looking at other cars after only 6 months.

The Si is a much better car. Better Seats (in my opinion), better shifter (by FAR) and easier to drive overall in everyday situations. The fact that my Si only averages 4 mpg less than my EX, has suspension that will tackle mountain curves with attitude, and looks much more sporty are all extra benefits that make the Si that much more of a great buy.

And while I agree that the Si's exhaust has a drone and that WOT is VERY "ticket-me" loud, Joe, I feel that you forgot to mention that both the EX and SI 8th Gen Civics both have excessive road tire noise.

I too had looked at the cars mentioned by Joe, but cost was significantly higher than the Si and each had problems that I felt were not fitting to my needs (ie. WRX - gas mileage, Mini - Size/Carrying Capacity, Mazdaspeed - reliability)

But to each their own. I feel that the Si is an excellent example of practicality, reliability, and sport into a simple, inexpensive package.

richard_rsp
richard_rsp New Reader
11/30/09 12:47 p.m.

Oh, and I think you guys may have been had: I believe that is a 2009 Civic Si Sedan that you tested (or at least photographed).

The 2010 model has a black engine cover instead of the silver like the one in your photos.... (http://automobiles.honda.com/images/2010/civic-si-sedan/features/197-hp.jpg)

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
11/30/09 2:54 p.m.

Good catch on the year. We did test an '09. I'll see if I can make the change.

ptrckrichardson5
ptrckrichardson5 New Reader
8/9/10 9:10 p.m.

i love this car! rides, handles and all civic parts great as well. i have had my civic si for almost a year and i must say that when it comes to gas it has given me excellent drive.

Rupert
Rupert HalfDork
8/21/10 9:15 a.m.

Like most people, the entire HONDA product line needs to lose a few pounds. It sadly appears their engineers are doing nothing but bulged up replays now. The NSX, S2000, & the CRX are gone. The CIVIC is bigger than my first ('78) ACCORD & the ACCORD is about the same size as a BUICK!

The only remnants I can find of the old HONDA character are the FIT and the ELEMENT. While slightly taller, this FIT is the direct successor to the old (mid '80s) CIVIC WAGON. It gets over 38mph everyday, handles sprightly, is great fun to drive, runs forever, & carries a world of goods. The ELEMENT was aimed at the beach-bunch but has found a niche with small businesses or people who transport dogs and other dirty items. It's also fun to drive and looks just quirky enough to out quirk the CUBE and the SCION as well.

If only HONDA came to their senses and redid the CRXSI. Even if they didn't make it a true CRX but built it about the same size and capacity as the '80s CIVIC but with a better power to weight ratio, they would find it would appeal to a ton of people. I know I miss my old ('85) CRXSI and would certainly look at a newer version whether it be in CRX or, old, CIVIC bodysize.

Though I'm in my '60s, I'm not old enough for the current CIVIC or ACCORD to be appealing. Nor can I comprehend the thinking involved with the CRZ. It seems to marry all the disadvantages of a small hatchback with none of the positives. As tested so far it is too heavy, has no power, no handling, no room, & no rear vision. Heck the FIT will almost certainly get better real world gas mileage and be much more fun to drive.

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter PowerDork
12/10/13 12:00 a.m.

The Honda Civic Si is nothing new to the GRM staff, as we acquired our first one back in 1986--at the time the model had just been released, replacing the carbureted 1500S.

The Civic Si has always been the sportiest Civic available here in States, receiving more power, better seats, stiffer suspension and bigger brakes. It's basically aimed right at our market.

The Civic Si recently gained a four-door variant--something totally new for the model line--and we recently spent some time with a navigation packaged-equipped Si while out in California.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
4nShGt4W3m68JwIafxaMtXjngQ6VbOtJf2jAfGTun1WxX9i8fut5scy86rgDEuEK