getfast
getfast Reader
7/6/10 9:12 a.m.
feature_image

I bought the 4-door non sunroof version of this car for a daily driver a few months ago ( http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/reader-rides/3759/ ). It was $24.3k out the door, I chose it instead of the equivalent GTI for about the same money. The only other car I briefly considered was a base model Cooper S, but it didn’t have enough room inside. …

Read the rest of the story

crankwalk
crankwalk GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/10/13 5:00 p.m.

Just to add, in real world numbers the manual transmissions net better fuel economy than the DSGs overwhelmingly. I get 44 mpg avg on my '12 Jetta tdi 6 speed .On tdiclub.com there is a large comparision with the results showing when driving for FE the 6 speed turns lower cruising rpm's on the highway.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
12/10/13 12:00 a.m.

A diesel-powered VW Golf isn't anything new. A million years ago, the original Golf--known here as the Rabbit--could be purchased with a diesel engine under the hood. The latest Golf, now entering its sixth generation, can be ordered with the TDI engine. It's like we've gone full circle.

The new Golf TDI is powered by a 2.0-liter, four-cylinder engine. And here's a shocker: Our test car had a real six-speed manual transmission. Yes, one with a clutch pedal and everything.

Our test car was also fairly loaded, boosting its sticker price up to nearly $26,000. The touch-screen navigation system alone added $1750 to the tally; the sunroof ate up another full grand.

We don't usually spend a ton of time discussing mileage figures, but the Golf TDI has posted some nice numbers with the EPA: 30 mpg in the city and 41 on the highway.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Q7vZitJ5p6uD3P89ecgRsR6HtmyIHDvyrtIVSaLoRqvwdyPw4Srb5KmFvAKZylXR