4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury MegaDork
2/28/11 1:59 p.m.
feature_image

2012 GS is on my list...srsly! Where are the staff comments?

Read the rest of the story

ww
ww SuperDork
2/28/11 2:12 p.m.

I'm sorry, if it doesn't look like Darth Vader, it's not a GN(X)... Bigger motor, bigger turbo and a jet black paint job... NOW yer talkin'!

Ojala
Ojala GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
2/28/11 2:13 p.m.

Interior is nice, exterior is nice, and the engine is nice. Everything about this vehicle is nice, and that may be its biggest fault. I dont see any unique selling points beyond a once proud model name that has been thoroughly tarnished. Unfortunately I don't see this car appealing to an enthusiast or anyone that has a real love of cars. But this car will appeal to everyone else. That "everyone else" are people like my brother. He has no real emotional connection to cars. But he likes to drive a car that is quiet, smooth, and has at least decent handling and acceleration. So for years he has driven a V6 Accord, which is a very "nice" car. I question if the Buick has what it takes to compete against the V6 Accord or V6 Altima in the "nice" car category.

Tom Heath
Tom Heath UberDork
2/28/11 2:31 p.m.

Not many staff members got in the driver's seat for this one, so somebody on staff really liked it!

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
2/28/11 3:25 p.m.

I liked it. My comments have been uploaded. Hopefully they appear soon. Short answer, I really did like it.

nderwater
nderwater PowerDork
2/28/11 3:27 p.m.

The tan interior looks really nice in the photos on Buick's car 'Build Your Own' tool. This car has only the badge in common with the Buick's my elderly relatives all drove.

amg_rx7
amg_rx7 Dork
2/28/11 4:48 p.m.

Looks really, really tall. That rear quarter panel shot looks like there is an acre of sheet metal over the rear tires. Hopefully, it isn't as big of a boat as it looks. The front end is kinda nice.

Shaun
Shaun HalfDork
3/1/11 1:09 a.m.

I started to get interested, and then, ug.. 3600 lbs.

NOHOME
NOHOME SuperDork
3/1/11 11:44 a.m.

I am now 52 years old. Fighting to keep from tagging myself as "old" I have mandated myself to never buy a Corvette or a Buick due to the immediate image repercussions.

To me, Buick will always represent a well built car to be driven slowly as a conveyance to the grave a training hearse if you will.

rogerbvonceg
rogerbvonceg Reader
3/1/11 11:58 a.m.

As nice a car as any Buick can be, (and I'm pretty impressed with them lately), the hardest thing to overcome is the image of "Buick." But that's only in North America. In China, Buick is the hotness, and China is a more important market than the US right now.

Otherwise, if this were AWD, it would be worth a look. But as an FWD, it is in a very, very big field.

rickgonz
rickgonz
3/2/11 1:22 p.m.

It's the American version of one of GM's global platforms. There are Opel and Saab versions of this as well. And in Europe, there is also a Cadillac model. People shouldn't get too hung up on the American Buick brand name - it's a good car and it's serviceable. The question is do you get good value for your money? It appears Americans look for reasons NOT to buy an American brand, while the opposite is true for foreign brands, we are always looking for something unique that makes them our preferred buy. Many times our assumptions are just not true like: "Toyota cars have few problems" hahahaha

iolite
iolite New Reader
3/3/11 12:55 p.m.

I'm curious to as why there is such a significant difference in the front end appearance of the top pic and the bottom pic. The top picture looks like your typical geriatric runabout, but the bottom picture speaks of edgy, trendy youthfulness. It sends a confusing message. Where in the market are they trying to hit with the car? It seems that they want to reach out to a larger segment of younger buyers without upsetting the typical faithful senior customer that has been synonymous with this moniker for last 2 decades.

Tom Heath
Tom Heath UberDork
3/3/11 1:27 p.m.

@ iolite-

The bottom photo is of the Regal GS show car; it's supposed to be the hottest of the breed, and has styling to match.

integraguy
integraguy UltraDork
3/9/11 10:11 p.m.

This is another case of one of GM's brands using a model name that once meant something (VASTLY) different....as in the '60s Chevy Malibu and the early '00s Malibu. When I think of the Regal, I remember sporty and stylish 2 door hardtop coupes, not sporty 4 door sedans. But that small detail aside, I applaud Buick for taking this bold move (it almost makes me wish I could afford the turbo with stick model) and yet, I have to wonder how long before someone at GM and/or Buick "pulls the plug" on performance cars AGAIN.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
12/10/13 12:00 a.m.

Depending on your age, the Regal nameplate has different connotations. In the '80s, the turbocharged models gave fits to 5.0 Mustangs at the stoplight grand prix. Later on, the Regal became the official car of the AARP set.

Well, after a few years on the bench, the Regal is back. Why should you care? We'll give you two good reasons.

Reason one: The Regal is available with an intercooled, turbocharged 2.0-liter engine.

Reason two: The turbo engine can be ordered with a real, live six-speed manual transmission--no paddle shifters, no CVT, no BS.

Our test car didn't have the manual box, but it did have the turbocharged Ecotec. It also featured something called the T06 package: Sport and Tour driving modes, 19-inch alloy wheels, HID headlamps, rear seat air bags and a nine-speaker stereo system. The package added $3695 to the base price.

Something else interesting we noticed on the window sticker: Final assembly takes place in Germany, the engine comes from the U.S., and the transmission comes from China.

While the latest Regal turbo may not be ready for 12-second passes at the strip, it still bears one of America's best known nameplates. We're glad to see it back in the game.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
cClYupaY5if2wWXxMd4vfcuDhvw4cuVMAXqBKIdDKOF93dPd1VVAUBlqzkROxmNe