ea_sport
ea_sport Reader
1/25/11 11:56 a.m.
feature_image

The new Sonata is very nice but, I actually like the styling of the new Kia Optima (the Sonata's badge engineering cousin) better. The interior, especially the dashboard, of the new Kia Optima looks great. Even the steering wheel looks good (not sure how it actually feels).

Maybe when you guys get a chance to test drive the new Kia …

Read the rest of the story

Xceler8x
Xceler8x GRM+ Memberand UberDork
1/25/11 1:10 p.m.

274 hp? Pretty stout number there! I'm surprised.

Hyundai continues to impress me.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
1/25/11 1:13 p.m.

That's what they're claiming:

http://www.hyundaiusa.com/sonata/performance.aspx

Yep, it's stout.

David S. Wallens
1/25/11 1:46 p.m.

By the way, I passed a blue Genesis Coupe while driving to work yesterday. It's a striking automobile--nice lines, especially in that color.

David S. Wallens
12/10/13 12:00 a.m.

One of the first Hyundai nameplates to come to North America was the Sonata. It was a decent, smallish sedan with a body designed by Giorgetto Giugiaro. His other designs include the BMW M1, Lotus Esprit and Maserati Bora. His Wikipedia page is worth a look, and we're sure that his mom is proud.

Anyway, the Sonata has grown up, with the sixth generation making its debut for the 2011 model year. Styling was obviously an important part of the development work, although the drivetrain wasn't neglected: Our test car had the turbocharged, direct-injected, 2.0-liter powerplant. It was backed by a six-speed automatic transmission.

Two other things on the window sticker that caught our eye: 39 percent of this car came from the U.S. (final assembly is done in Montgomery, Alabama) and a full tank of gas is included.

Our Limited-spec had one big option: $2100 for the Limited Navigation Package. That included a touchscreen display, rear back-up camera and Infinity audio system. The car also had floor mats ($100) and an iPod cable ($35).

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
djSh0wLVSvlTh6BQN3aVd0Lf38RYHzE9GC1iYO1Jxw5ek84NCQGWrMBtu9ZCCKYQ