Bobzilla
Bobzilla PowerDork
3/24/11 11:38 a.m.
feature_image

Have not seen/driven the SX, but the "lesser" Optima with the 200hp NA 2.4 is a hoot to drive for a simple grocery getter. THe base cars come equipped with hankook Optimo's and lack grip when pushed but were very quiet.

OVerall, I think they have a hit on their hands.

Read the rest of the story

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/25/11 8:31 a.m.

I love my Rondo, and that car truly was the rental car also-ran. Hope they make a new Rondo off of this Optima platform! GRM compared a Kia to an M3. Satan, do you need a coat yet?

tuna55
tuna55 UltimaDork
3/26/11 8:14 p.m.

You guys have the best car reviews ever. Really. Ever.

slefain
slefain UltraDork
3/28/11 4:36 p.m.

I drove the turbo model last week. Much peppier than the Hyundai Sonata turbo. Same engine, I know but for some reason it just felt "punchier" off the line. I thought it drove great, no complaints at all. If I had money this would be a top pick for a bargain family car.

amg_rx7
amg_rx7 Dork
3/29/11 8:19 p.m.

Too bad the turbo model doesn't have a nice 6 speed manual. I fall asleep driving automatics.

fastEddie
fastEddie SuperDork
3/31/11 11:30 a.m.

I still remember my first experience with a Kia, my mom's 1988 Ford Festiva was assembled in Korea by Kia and had a sticker stating so under the hood. I remember thinking, who the heck is Kia?! That was a great car though and lasted 190k miles despite being involved in 3 accidents. As I recall it had a whopping 64hp and a 4-speed manual but only weighed something crazy like 1850# (it was a base model and didn't even come with a radio let alone AC).

Oh, and the Optima looks nice too! lol Not sure about the wheels tho'.

4eyes
4eyes Dork
4/4/11 4:22 p.m.

I wish the turbo model had a manual transmission, I loath auto's. Other than that, nice car.

Sounbwoy
Sounbwoy
4/30/11 9:39 p.m.

The issue with the steering is that it is electric and not really calibrated well. We have a 2011 Kia Sportage with the same system. It's a well known complaint. Supposedly the Euro models have a software update to fix it, but no verification on that.

heyduard
heyduard Reader
6/3/11 10:00 p.m.

+1 on the manual tranny! I'd get it then! Looks sharp in real life.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
12/10/13 12:00 a.m.

Do you even know what a Kia Optima looks like? Honestly, we didn't either. No disrespect to anyone who owns one, but since its 2000 release the Optima has been one of those fairly nondescript, four-door sedans that dot the landscape.

Well, it's done grown up. The all-new Optima is a lean, mean, family-hauling machine, complete with new sheet metal that resembles the rest of the recently redone Kia lineup.

We tested the SX Turbo model. Power comes from a force-fed, 274-horsepower, 2.0-liter engine. While a six-speed manual is available on the base Optima, the SX Turbo only comes with a six-speed automatic. Other standard equipment includes 18x7.5-inch wheels and "sport-tuned" suspension. All Optimas feature a cooling glove box.

Our particular car also had the $2000 Technology Package (navigation, satellite radio and back-up camera) plus another $2150 for the SX Premium Package. That second one added the giant panoramic sunroof, heated and cooled front seats, and power passenger seat.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
JCXlV9JPBWtkWNNBJwmuj7025WxOBaScPXzprQu6xELllSweklhiEuXGuJ5nNFav