1 2 3
Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
5/24/11 2:44 p.m.

What are you going to use for engine management? If this is going to be a track only car, ditch the oil metering pump and premix your gasoline.

dollraves
dollraves Reader
5/24/11 3:24 p.m.

Good suggestion, BM. I was thinking megasquirt if I could either find a used one or recover enough out of my budget to pop for the kit. I reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeally like the idea of a rotary Miata as my daily ride. :D

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
5/24/11 4:10 p.m.

You're in California, right? I thought passing emissions there was important or something =)

Oh, see if you can source a cheap S4 front cover and a mechanical oil pump if you don't want to pre-mix. Since you're considering aftermarket engine management, you shouldn't have to worry about the crappy electronic oil metering pump throwing the car into limp mode.

dollraves
dollraves Reader
5/24/11 5:12 p.m.

In reply to Brett_Murphy:

Let's just say...there are ways around everything, even in CA. If I register my vehicle in a low-population county, I only have to smog it the first time I register (i.e., register first, then swap engine!).

Fortunately for me, I have friends in low places. ;)

JtspellS
JtspellS Reader
5/24/11 6:18 p.m.

Sry about that, still want to see many pics of the build.

I would try and salvage anything from the rx i could (save or sell) to try and keep in the budget, Do you have welding capabilities?

Capt Slow
Capt Slow Dork
5/24/11 6:22 p.m.

So are you going to port the engine?

amg_rx7
amg_rx7 HalfDork
5/24/11 9:14 p.m.
dollraves wrote: @amg_rx7: If you're willing to school a total rotary newb, you're welcome to come on over to any time! :D More pics of the RX-7 damage are on my flickr.

Sounds like fun. :)

PM me your contact info.

racer_ace
racer_ace Reader
5/24/11 9:55 p.m.

In reply to dollraves:

I would like to contribute to the recoup fund for this awesome build. Is the factory air intake pipe still on the RX-7? I need the whole intake pipe from the scoop under the leading edge of the hood back to the air box (but not the air box itself). What color is the interior of the RX-7? If it is either black or grey I would like to buy the speaker covers over the rear shock towers. Judging by the ripped off control arm I am guessing that the struts are destroyed...true? What about the springs? Were they damaged? Are they OEM or aftermarket?

-Ray

dollraves
dollraves Reader
5/24/11 10:30 p.m.
Capt Slow wrote: So are you going to port the engine?

No, because I am only one step above complete newbie. The engine works, so I am not going to ruin it before putting into the Miata.

After the Challenge and some play time with the Miata...maybe. ;)

Derick Freese
Derick Freese Dork
5/24/11 11:41 p.m.

I'm sure you can nose out a blown 13b out your way for a rebuild. Somehow, the things keep multiplying in my yard.

benzbaron
benzbaron Dork
5/25/11 12:40 a.m.

I might be able to lend a hand if you need one. I know nothing of either rotary or miata if that helps. I am interested in rotary engines though, I guess old man Wankel installed one in his 450sl from the mercedes c111 project.

Good luck!

Nis14
Nis14 New Reader
5/25/11 1:41 a.m.

this sounds like a fun project.

what color is the interior. black?

I'd like to donate as well. looking for the rubber triangle cover on the drivers door for the mirror, the plastic piece on the dash that surrounds the dummy lights, and a few things here and there.

:) the vultures circle overhead

Mental
Mental SuperDork
5/25/11 5:06 a.m.

I would say this even if you were a dude;

This project gives me wood. I would love to offer insight, parts or help but I am too far away, only have useless Miata parts and really am even dumber than I appear here, so all I have is encouragement....

I mean, really, paraphrased by James May, as the great philosopher Clarkticus once said "How hard can it be?"

bluej
bluej GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/25/11 6:57 a.m.

for epic WTFOMGBBQness, stick the miata engine in the engine hole of the RX7 and go lemons racing

w_miata_a
w_miata_a New Reader
5/25/11 9:03 a.m.

In reply to bluej:

http://clubroadster.net/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=38777

Enjoy!

dollraves
dollraves Reader
5/25/11 10:31 a.m.

Okay, vultures, you're out of luck, the interior is blue, but the seats are at least leather. I'll let you know if the seats are for sale after I see whether I like them in the Miata or not. ;) [Racer_ace, i'll get back to you on springs...]

Also, thanks for the advice and positive vibes, guys. As a novice, I'm not looking to make a top 10 car here - I'm looking to learn more about the cars I love, and I see the 3k mile test drive to the Challenge as a great test of my abilities. Like last year, if the car actually makes it TO the Challenge and runs through it, then BONUS! (Hey, if I can't have longest drive, maybe I can get Most Spectacular Failure...)

So, for the plan for the next 3-4 weeks:

1) Take apart the RX-7 & salvage/part out what I can.

2) Learn to weld. :D [I'll be signing up for a Tech Shop membership next week.]

3) Research & plan, plan, plan.

4) Assess tool needs. As a novice, I have only the barest minimum of tools. For the pricier items, I'll rent or borrow what I can. I need to map out the needs vs. cash outlay.

Folks offering to lend a hand, I'll PM you. There's this lovely 3 day weekend coming up here, so anyone who wants to stop by and help me part out, research & plan, to do a tools assessment (or invite me to your garage to show off...), I'd appreciate the help!

racer_ace
racer_ace Reader
5/25/11 7:44 p.m.

In reply to dollraves:

Ahh blue... I am still interested in what springs are on the car and the air inlet...if it still has it and you are willing to part with it.

SVreX
SVreX SuperDork
5/25/11 11:14 p.m.
alfadriver wrote: So you wake up from surgery, which was a good idea. And still think that someting SVRX said was a good idea? Man, the drugs did a number on you. But, when you get this done, you will be quite the expert. Good luck with it!!

It might have been the drugs talking in the first place.

I'm not sure SVreX said all that stuff.

dollraves
dollraves Reader
5/26/11 1:09 a.m.
SVreX wrote: It might have been the drugs talking in the first place. I'm not sure SVreX said all that stuff.

*stage whisper: You're ruining the story, SV!

If nothing else, I distinctly remember you laughing at me when I told you talk me out of the rotary Miata. :D

monsterbronco
monsterbronco New Reader
5/26/11 7:47 a.m.

well darnit if you werent on the otherside of the country i would so be in for helping!

Have friends in florida that have a nice healthy port on a 13b in a miata that they built/paid to have built for one lap.

its strange hereing fap fap fap fap coming from a miata but so amazing at the same time!

SVreX
SVreX SuperDork
5/26/11 8:17 a.m.
dollraves wrote:
SVreX wrote: It might have been the drugs talking in the first place. I'm not sure SVreX said all that stuff.
**stage whisper*: You're ruining the story, SV! If nothing else, I distinctly remember you laughing at me when I told you talk me out of the rotary Miata. :D

You don't think you can make a good story involving rotary engines, Miatas, and morphine??

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/26/11 12:42 p.m.

does the RX have the aluminum 4-piston front calipers?

Type Q
Type Q Dork
5/26/11 4:48 p.m.

I have a set of used KYB AGX dampers for a Miata taking up space in the garage. I was going to Craigslist them. I'll sell you at a challenge friendly price or trade for Mazda parts I can use that are not part of this project. I have a few other items that might or might not be useful to you.

Rotorsports is a good shop to be connected with. I would also get to know Laura Munoz at PR Motorsports in Hayward. Laura, and her head mechanic Hector, have more Miata and RX7 knowledge than anyone I else I know. That shop has been maintaining, repairing and modifying both for more than 20 years.

dollraves
dollraves Reader
5/27/11 6:59 p.m.

In reply to Type Q:

Great info, thanks! PM sent for dampers. :D

donalson
donalson SuperDork
5/27/11 8:41 p.m.
dollraves wrote: Good suggestion, BM. I was thinking megasquirt if I could either find a used one or recover enough out of my budget to pop for the kit. I reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeally like the idea of a rotary Miata as my daily ride. :D

if MS1 2.2 board works out well for a roto you can find them used partly built if you are patient... I got my kit for $75 with a relay board and the stim... it was a gamble as I didn't know 100% what I was getting... but for the cost it was worth it... I got lucky and was shy about $4 worth of componets (including shipping)... and works great... now i'm working on getting it into the truck

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
zJnJ2CZHBmRM80e1yczrMTWsQJNDIGW7Bo3uDblBAevmTquiLjhajhFBA5hthBZw