1 2
itsarebuild
itsarebuild GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
1/18/12 9:29 a.m.

In reply to Raze:

oh snap! i guess we need to finish our fiat for this year too!

JoeyM
JoeyM SuperDork
1/18/12 10:35 a.m.
wae wrote:
JoeyM wrote:
icaneat50eggs wrote: i'm probably just being dumb, but where are the rules/info for the 2012 challenge? If I can get my stuff together I'd love to be able to give it a shot.
Good question. I would like to see them, too. At least give us the date...will it be the first weekend in Oct or the last one in Sept? Are there any new "don't be a shiney happy person" clauses? Hoping to get the datsun replica finished in time....
If you look at the schedule for Gainesville Raceway, they've got Sept. 28th & 29th down as the $2012 Grassroots Motorsports Challenge on their 2012 dragstrip schedule

OK. That's clear enough. Now, the cost for this year?

unevolved
unevolved Dork
1/18/12 10:54 a.m.

Whoa, it's bumped up a week?

JoeyM
JoeyM SuperDork
1/18/12 12:45 p.m.

Yup. I think this was to avoid being in Gainesville during a home football game; i.e. to keep the cost of everything down

itsarebuild
itsarebuild GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
1/18/12 1:00 p.m.

having lived there in the past, i can tell you they are doing you a very big favor avoiding a game week!

unevolved
unevolved Dork
1/18/12 1:50 p.m.

Oh. Yeah. Our population about doubles when A&M plays at home. I can understand that decision.

dansxr2
dansxr2 HalfDork
1/22/12 8:17 p.m.

Ben, you still have that Cargo cover? Workin on roundin my last few parts. I'll take it when ever ya can ship it

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac SuperDork
1/22/12 8:22 p.m.

Yeah i've got it, sorry.... 1st quarter is insane in my line of employment.

I gotta get up there this week anyways to grab some stuff for the powdercoater, i'll bring it home with me and get it out to you.

I've got some interior stuffs i'll throw in with it, too. I know i at least have the panels that cover the ECU.

Argo1
Argo1 GRM+ Memberand New Reader
1/23/12 1:50 p.m.

In reply to spin_out: Bringing a sorted out car to the Challenge? Wow. What a concept!

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon SuperDork
1/23/12 2:15 p.m.

The biggest boost my project got was a 1-2: I couldn't make the '05 Challenge because I ran short of time and the '06 got bumped back to October. That gave me enough time to shake down and sort my car and fix a couple of BIG problems that would have sidelined me completely early in the event. As it was, there wasn't enough $ in the budget to fix the one thing that did break: the RH CV axle. But at least that didn't happen till after I got a few drag runs in.

dansxr2
dansxr2 HalfDork
1/23/12 3:27 p.m.

Thanks a lot Ben!!!! Also believe I have my rich mixture issue pinned down and about to be resolved... I'll post info on my build thread

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/1992-mx-3-with-f2t-swap-build-thread/44567/page1/

SVreX
SVreX SuperDork
1/23/12 7:00 p.m.

In reply to Argo1:

You might not be the only one with a Lotus.

badfrogg
badfrogg None
1/23/12 11:45 p.m.

i would love to get into the GRM challange but i have never done any motorsports at all. I do love cars and i really can build anything. Im not really sure wher to start. i do have this though. A 1970 datsun 240z i was saving for somthing, maybe this?

JoeyM
JoeyM SuperDork
1/24/12 5:47 a.m.

^^^ the 240 is one of the best looking bodies ever

jmthunderbirdturbo
jmthunderbirdturbo Reader
1/24/12 6:16 a.m.

john and i have the car, the 90 supra. we have the engine, the 5.0L, we have the trans, a old tremec top loader, we have the turbo, a hx50 from a dodge diseasel, all we need now is a plan, time, money, skill, parts, tools, permission from the SWMBO's and motivation.

this is gonna be a looooong year.

-J0N

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac SuperDork
1/24/12 8:36 a.m.
dansxr2 wrote: Thanks a lot Ben!!!! Also believe I have my rich mixture issue pinned down and about to be resolved... I'll post info on my build thread http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/1992-mx-3-with-f2t-swap-build-thread/44567/page1/

LOL!!!

Yeah.... 4-wires don't play nice with these cars. That should help quite a bit.

If you decide you want a wideband down the road, make sure you get one with narrowband simulation unless you want to go Megasquirt.

Also: Be prepared to pick up a BUNCH of power. I'm surprised you weren't throwing a check engine light. When the o2 signal is borked, the car goes into limp mode, which means it dumps ALL the fuel, and pulls a bunch of timing back. Combine that with the BTM you had in there, i'm somewhat surprised it wasn't constantly eating E36 M3.

But seriously... be prepared for 30-40whp gain.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic SuperDork
1/24/12 8:38 a.m.

In reply to badfrogg:

Do it! You are going to show how much you bought the body for or find a fair market value for it.

turboHLS30
turboHLS30 Reader
1/24/12 8:55 a.m.

In reply to badfrogg:

Do it! Then we can have more than 2 or 3 Datsun's at the Challenge

Argo1
1/24/12 12:17 p.m.

In reply to SVreX: That would be cool! I heard a rumor that a Europa was in the works. It would be great to have another Lotus project.

Argo1
2/2/12 5:48 p.m.

For those of you scoring at home, part 2 of our Lotus Challenge car build is posted at www.alsoranracing.com

In part 2 you will see what we have decided to do with the car: The Plan

aussiesmg
aussiesmg SuperDork
2/2/12 9:36 p.m.

I will just put this right here if you guys don't mind

Photobucket

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/86-mustang-challenger-build/41304/page1/

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
dzHWVF4vfmrGXTidZ61ebAkdG67JGUyjxHIJgJ9ZfyUggU7gSLB9y6bE2IuHdehk