1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Gasoline
Gasoline New Reader
10/14/11 11:08 a.m.
fastclown wrote: I'm sure he can find one for about $100 and sell the collectable race stickers down to $0...

I got to give him props, I laughed pretty good.

tuna55
tuna55 SuperDork
10/14/11 11:49 a.m.
dculberson wrote: I love your references to "buying" a challenge car when a C4 Corvette is nowhere near competitive in this group. Not when a Beetle is running 9.x second drags. I think you've let your mean smack talk run on into too many threads. Keep it in the smack talk threads, now you're just being rude. I don't care who you are, it's uncalled for here.

This. Exactly this. I am tired of it, anyway. I am sure a bunch of us are as well.

turboswede
turboswede GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/14/11 3:05 p.m.

The clown's smack talk is like his hair, or that huge ball of evil at the beginning of 5th Element. The more you fight it, the more you feed it, the bigger and stronger it gets.

Ignore it, or kill it with kindness :)

fastclown
fastclown Reader
10/14/11 3:54 p.m.

Wow, I didn't know the Campfire Girls were on this forum. Some newbie says to me "sometimes i think you mouth runs faster than your cars." I give a little back and explain my thoughts on the current buying rules, then someone that knows nothing and wasn't at the Challenge starts to cry "I love your references to "buying" a challenge car when a C4 Corvette is nowhere near competitive in this group. Not when a Beetle is running 9.x second drags." Actually a 1986 Corvette won in 2007 and the Beetle runs in the 10's at the Challenge (so far)... It's rude to lie. Maybe the answer is that GRM needs to give everybody a trophy so we can all hold hands around the campfire and feel good about our purchases "Hey Bob, you landed a smokin' deal on that car, congrats you're a winner!?. Bring the cookies and I'll buy some.

Tom Heath
Tom Heath Web Manager
10/14/11 3:57 p.m.

Yep, we're all campfire girls here.

Feel free to go back to the cub scout camp where you recruited the child labor (back when you were actually a contender at the challenge...) so you can keep up next year.

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac SuperDork
10/14/11 3:59 p.m.
Tom Heath wrote: Yep, we're all campfire girls here. Feel free to go back to the cub scout camp where you recruited the child labor (back when you were actually a contender at the challenge...) so you can keep up next year.

Yeah!!!!!

fastclown
fastclown Reader
10/14/11 4:07 p.m.

Ouch, Tom, that's mean and almost rude, how can you say something like that, I have now have tears of a clown. Can't we all just get a long. Can't we get the Home Shopping Network as a sponsor so watching TV will be considered build time for next years Challenge.

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac SuperDork
10/14/11 4:23 p.m.
fastclown wrote: Ouch, Tom, that's mean and almost rude, how can you say something like that, I have now have tears of a clown. Can't we all just get a long. Can't we get the Home Shopping Network as a sponsor so watching TV will be considered build time for next years Challenge.

You bringing Uranus back again next year? MX6 Mafia would formally like to state that we're going to buttberkeley Uranus.

fastclown
fastclown Reader
10/14/11 5:30 p.m.

Wow it's been about 5 years since I heard something like that, maybe the good ole days are back.... You're on, but do I really need to be your profile pic? Get in the GRM spirit and start looking to buy a winning car, obviously you're kidding with a MX6.

hrdlydangerous
hrdlydangerous Reader
10/14/11 5:44 p.m.
fastclown said: but do I really need to be your profile pic?

OMG that really DOES look like you! Are you describing how big Uranus is in that photo?

chandlerGTi
chandlerGTi Reader
10/14/11 5:47 p.m.

I got all these emails saying there were updates so I opened this expecting some updates and I get this^? What the... I wanna see the Jag.

hrdlydangerous
hrdlydangerous Reader
10/14/11 5:54 p.m.

Sorry. How about this for anyone who wants to make this a two car team effort...

This can't be right. The seller must've missed a few zeros in the price

MrJoshua
MrJoshua SuperDork
10/14/11 6:36 p.m.

I explored the idea of challenging one of these a year or so ago, $1,200 was a really common asking price for a running and driving example.

fastclown
fastclown Reader
10/14/11 7:40 p.m.

I would wait and get one with 8K recently spent on it, with nice interior and no rust for 1K, they might deliver it to.

MrJoshua
MrJoshua SuperDork
10/14/11 7:50 p.m.
fastclown wrote: I would wait and get one with 8K recently spent on it, with nice interior and no rust for 1K, they might deliver it to.

If you are accusing him of lying just ask him to prove his purchase. Roundabout accusations hidden in jokes are silly.

frankiedank
frankiedank New Reader
10/14/11 8:25 p.m.

i like campfires i prefer there to be a slight chill in the air makes more for a cozy evening. oh wait I'm sorry I'm off topic let me get back in it CLOWN U SUCK.

Derick Freese
Derick Freese Dork
10/14/11 8:39 p.m.

Actually, the body does have some issues, and the interior only photographs well. The money that was spent on it was spent a few years back, but the car has seen only a few thousand miles since the service. Hell, you should see how rough the car is around the edges.

At least we're not "zip tie" budgeting Nissans.

speedbiu
speedbiu Reader
10/14/11 8:42 p.m.
MrJoshua wrote:
fastclown wrote: I would wait and get one with 8K recently spent on it, with nice interior and no rust for 1K, they might deliver it to.
If you are accusing him of lying just ask him to prove his purchase. Roundabout accusations hidden in jokes are silly.

The work was performed in 2003 but has only had 5k put on it sense then.It has not beel driven in 2 years.I got the front brakes on today and rears tomorrow.

fastclown
fastclown Reader
10/14/11 9:04 p.m.

"If you are accusing him of lying just ask him to prove his purchase. Roundabout accusations hidden in jokes are silly."

Once again... It's the rules that make this a shopping event, whether he is honest or not has never been my issue. There are no roundabout accusations toward this purchase under the current rules, it's open humor to highlight how this is more of a shopping event than a builders event. Keep in mind, the Challenge started as "Who can BUILD...." What's the limit of what is acceptable? If someone sold me a legit full race car worth 8K for 1K because his wife was going to take it through the divorce I assume everybody on this board and at the event will be happy with it and say, "Great find!". I guess it could fall under the "spirit of the event" which is a grey judgement. What's wrong with FMV on cars/parts cars... In the bad economy the FMV would show that it's worth less today than before, it doesn't matter, it's FMV when you get it.

It cracks me up that everybody is against it, I would assume, that everybody dreams that one day they will find that SUPER deal and move ahead on the leader board... for nothing more than finding a great deal. Change the title/promotion of the event to "Who can buy the fastest, best looking....." and I'll move onto the classifieds.

tuna55
tuna55 SuperDork
10/14/11 9:08 p.m.

I have never chimed in on this subject before, but when the "new" board rolls out, can you make sure it has that feature that allows you to block specific users so that you can't even see that they've posted?

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess SuperDork
10/14/11 9:20 p.m.

Humm, tuna, are you suggesting a "you're dead to me" button? You should patent that idea. You could sell millions on teh intr4w3bz, y0.

speedbiu
speedbiu Reader
10/14/11 9:57 p.m.
fastclown wrote: "If you are accusing him of lying just ask him to prove his purchase. Roundabout accusations hidden in jokes are silly." Once again... It's the rules that make this a shopping event, whether he is honest or not has never been my issue. There are no roundabout accusations toward this purchase under the current rules, it's open humor to highlight how this is more of a shopping event than a builders event. Keep in mind, the Challenge started as "Who can BUILD...." What's the limit of what is acceptable? If someone sold me a legit full race car worth 8K for 1K because his wife was going to take it through the divorce I assume everybody on this board and at the event will be happy with it and say, "Great find!". I guess it could fall under the "spirit of the event" which is a grey judgement. What's wrong with FMV on cars/parts cars... In the bad economy the FMV would show that it's worth less today than before, it doesn't matter, it's FMV when you get it. My C4 vette has a handmade one piece front end I did myself,it has ground effects I made with rain gutters,no exhaust other than turn downs due to budget restraints,all my aluminum was harvested by delaminating trailer doors,my roll bars was from an old nascar truck chassis I picked up for 50 bucks,I lowered the shock towers so I could run some shorted shocks I found,I added frame braces for rigidity,relocated my trailing arms for better alignment and wheel clearance.Is that not a BUILD???? .
MrJoshua
MrJoshua SuperDork
10/14/11 10:04 p.m.

In reply to fastclown:

Seriously? A shopping event? 343? A Cosworth engine in a midget for sub $1500? Is this payback for the fact that everyone gave you crap for your ability to buy your way into the challenge awards in the early days?

Lol, Spirit of the event? Nice jab. I prefer "Spirit of the Event" awards to "I made up a new category that everyone else thinks is silly just so I can win" awards.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg SuperDork
10/14/11 10:29 p.m.

$2012 is going to be awesome

my entry I just picked up for $0.25

After recoup and couple of mods I got this with receipts and a babe inside budget

Gotta love the current economy

fastclown
fastclown Reader
10/14/11 10:33 p.m.

You seriously have a short memory. We brought proof that you could by running Vega Cosworth cars for $500-$700. I believe we had 2-3 (Long time ago??) samples printed out as proof. We took FMV from them (What a concept). The 343 was junk cars that were going to be towed and crushed (Had city paperwork, and only one ran; at 20mph to my house). Feel free to refresh your memories: MGVC Nissan 343 You obviously misunderstood the spirit of the event comment, everything has to fall under the spirit of the event (not the award). So if something is "legit" on paper but isn't in the spirit of the event, it has the opportunity to be turned away... Since you said "nice jab" for something that wasn't a jab. BTW, I've won my class every year but this time with the current rules. I obviously don't personally need the rules to change. I want the Challenge to get back to where it was, a big field of creative cars.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
1ZbeEvZH7dMzGakGpSu18e29E3O7G4PAo62wOc5VkRBjAre4JuzcrNgrWBAdvGS1