1 ... 3 4 5 6 7
MrJoshua
MrJoshua SuperDork
10/14/11 10:41 p.m.

"The 343 was junk cars that were going to be towed and crushed"

"Seriously"? At the time you bought those a 300z shell was going for around $500. You bought three for $300 (less than scrap). That was good shopping. You didn't print out FMV, instead you just used a receipt. Must have thought your purchase was better than FMV or else we would have seen multiple printed out examples of FMV right?

fastclown
fastclown Reader
10/14/11 10:55 p.m.

In our area scrap cars back then were worth $100 each. This was pre-drift days, nobody wanted a roach infested car full of water. Scrap value was perfect since that's what the owner wanted to remove them. And there wasn't a FMV rule then or now, that's the problem... And a reason why we didn't have to prove what was obvious. Face it, you got nothing on my background, but keep trying, you entertain me and crack me up!

MrJoshua
MrJoshua SuperDork
10/14/11 11:36 p.m.
Fastclown said: there wasn't a FMV rule then or now, that's the problem.

You found 3 cars available as a package for scrap value. That was very convenient for the particular contest you were about to enter where you could sell off parts of the purchase to offset your purchase price. The purchase may even have been something you could justify with prices of scrap and a printout of the ad. It wasn't something that a normal person could find on a normal day so you are reaching when you say it qualified for FMV. It was an example of you having the ability to find good deals, or more specifically "good shopping". If you think the "good shopping" on one of the current challengers was more rare than your good shopping experience say it.

Schmidlap
Schmidlap HalfDork
10/14/11 11:47 p.m.

Can you please stop dicking up this thread with your stupid argument? I don't care about who bought a Vette for a good price or who bought 3 Nissans for a good price - I care about seeing what you can do with a Jaguar for cheap. If you want, I'll start a completely separate thread where everyone can bitch and moan about people they think are cheating.

fastclown
fastclown Reader
10/15/11 7:53 a.m.

I guess there is no reason to keep this going since it seems the readers of GRM can't read. Have a great weekend! We'll see you next year!!

Appleseed
Appleseed SuperDork
10/16/11 12:20 a.m.

Sooooo...any updates on the Jag?

bearmtnmartin
bearmtnmartin GRM+ Memberand New Reader
10/16/11 10:38 a.m.

Nice thread hijack. You guys should be embarrassed.

MrJoshua
MrJoshua SuperDork
10/16/11 10:41 a.m.
bearmtnmartin wrote: Nice thread hijack. You guys should be embarrassed.

I am desperately embarrassed. Thank you for doing your part to keep this thread on track.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/16/11 11:26 a.m.

it makes me shake my head to see so many people gettin' clown mud on 'em

MrJoshua
MrJoshua SuperDork
10/17/11 9:48 a.m.

So how did the Jag run and drive?

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury SuperDork
10/17/11 10:06 a.m.

wowzers...Im not sure what to say. Glad to see everyone has their sarcasm meters properly calibrated

In more important news... Abe Vigoda is still alive...

speedbiu
speedbiu Reader
10/17/11 11:46 a.m.

The Jag run and drove fine,the bad news is the brake system is complicated and without changing it to a different system it will not autox.The brakes will not stop the car with out the anti brake system hooked up,darnedest thing I ever saw. The shocks cost like 900 bucks and takes 6(4 on back).I tried running it around tight turns and I'm not sure it would even make the corners at an autox.Theres no way it would make it in at challenge price and I'm not going to put alot in it due to resale values.Back to the brakes it takes a dual plunger pedal due to the weight of the car almost 5 thousand pounds.so it would have to come out of a 3500 truck $$$$ to properly stop the car and be fabricated on the firewall.Sorry guys would not have started this thread if I had any idea I could not do it for the challenge.

MrJoshua
MrJoshua SuperDork
10/17/11 11:54 a.m.

Monroe shocks are your friend! There is a list online somewhere of the dimensions for the entire line. As for the brakes, get a couple of huge clutch master cylinders and fab up a dual master braking system on the cheap. The lack of ability to turn is probably a steering limiter that could be removed if you are willing to clearance the car for wheel travel. Those problems are not insurmountable.

RossD
RossD SuperDork
10/17/11 12:02 p.m.

It's too bad you think it won't work. You could have called it Jaguarmeister car.

MG_Bryan
MG_Bryan Reader
10/17/11 12:03 p.m.

Have you been able to trace what's wrong with the brakes? The XJS chassis is largely similar to an XJ chassis. There's a decent chance you could adapt the rear sub-frame out of an XJ40 which uses single coil-overs and doesn't have the radius arms.

Stripped down to race weight, I think you should be able to make a lower cost braking solution work if you get creative.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/17/11 12:03 p.m.

Dude, don't give up! Where there's a will, there's a way!

Do the old-school NASCAR trick of double shocks on the front, so just buy 4 of whatever you can find to stick up in there. And honkey on the brakes! Slap a $50 GM booster/master in the pig from NAPA with some new homemade bent line. Tubing is cheap!

Get crackin!

tuna55
tuna55 SuperDork
10/17/11 12:05 p.m.
Javelin wrote: Dude, don't give up! Where there's a will, there's a way! Do the old-school NASCAR trick of double shocks on the front, so just buy 4 of whatever you can find to stick up in there. And honkey on the brakes! Slap a $50 GM booster/master in the pig from NAPA with some new homemade bent line. Tubing is cheap! Get crackin!

Yeah dude, go to a junkyard and scrounge aroung the GM truck section. You'd be all set with a few hours wrenching time and a hundred bucks or so.

MrJoshua
MrJoshua SuperDork
10/17/11 12:33 p.m.

Prove to the Clown that you can "build" a car instead of just buy one.

coll9947
coll9947 Reader
10/17/11 1:13 p.m.

Probably unnecessary, but Jags That Run might be a useful resource.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon SuperDork
12/5/11 9:30 a.m.

Those quad rear shocks are pricey. But how about adapting motorcycle coilovers? Lots of adjustment, available cheap online. And like Colin Chapman said: it would give you something else to mess up with a screwdriver.

chandlerGTi
chandlerGTi Reader
12/5/11 10:26 a.m.

Looks like we now know who will answer any Jaguar question we have.

calvindoesntknow
calvindoesntknow New Reader
12/5/11 8:38 p.m.

what ideas do you have for box flares? im looking to bup lister style flares on my 87 i just have no idea how to do so

dlmater
dlmater GRM+ Memberand Reader
12/7/11 8:17 a.m.
mguar wrote: In reply to calvindoesntknow: What I do is cut out the area around the diameter of the wheel to be run.. Then I make slash cuts along body lines...

I can never seem to get past the thought of the first step. My imagination usually exceeds the reality of my skills to successfully implement an acceptable result. One of these days I will work up the nerve to cut a fender.

calvindoesntknow
calvindoesntknow New Reader
12/8/11 8:15 p.m.

im working with a body guy, im only 17 and doing this for my seinor project, but the guy i am working with is very experienced in the area. i like all metal, espcially since this is going to be street driven. ill post some sketches up of the two ideas i have come up with on how to build them. thanks for all the help guys. im also way new to forums and i am thinking i should start one for my car. an 87 xjs with v12 and cobra 5 speed t5 built by a 17 year old :)

wheels777
wheels777 Dork
12/9/11 9:22 a.m.

^^^^I like thie guys name

1 ... 3 4 5 6 7

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
gmAvPCTlp6cYO1MjiHXC44XJTmCNzcP9fMsretfXRMYKlafnSurVaOucpRI5v9vR