Jerry From LA Dork
2/9/12 9:53 a.m.
feature_image

How much does this pig weigh?

Read the rest of the story

Jerry From LA
Jerry From LA Dork
2/9/12 10:19 a.m.

OOPS! Saw the spec sheet too late. Ouch.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt UberDork
2/9/12 2:11 p.m.

On the bright side, I don't think that's any heavier than the original 392 Hemi powered 300 letter series.

Jerry From LA
Jerry From LA Dork
2/9/12 9:38 p.m.

Sound deadening, miles of copper wire, airbags, power seats, and 19 speakers. I bet it weighs 500 pounds more.

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/9/12 10:33 p.m.

Dang, I sure do love red seats (no sarcasm)

Steve Chryssos
Steve Chryssos Reader
2/10/12 1:57 p.m.

The active Bilsteins do an incredible job of managing that heft. I know it's hard to believe, but this car is actually a lot of fun on track. Tons of fun. (oops, I had to.) In my opinion, it's more fun to track than the Challenger or Charger. The 300's softer suspension calibration really digs into the pavement.

kanaric
kanaric Dork
1/1/13 3:27 a.m.

wow this weighs as much as a truck. I'm guessing this is for the 60+ year old types out there pining for the days of the overrated 60s muscle car?

Alan Cesar
Alan Cesar Dork
12/10/13 12:00 a.m.

Chrysler's (and Fiat's) bean counters are somehow letting their SRT division run amok. Their gangsta-grade 300 gets the go-fast treatment with the mega-powerful 6.4-liter HEMI V8. That's 392 to you cubic-inchers, a historic—albeit coincidental—Mopar number.

It packs a mighty 470 horsepower and pound-feet of torque, and the traction control is just relaxed enough to let it scare you. It'll lay rubber or show slip angle with merely a firm plant on the gas. The oomph is just as impressive as its interior appointments. Those shifter paddles on the steering wheel are real, chunky pieces of aluminum. The 300, then, is a proper flagship.

The 300 SRT8 starts just $200 higher than the Dodge Charger SRT8—that is, $47,170—but we saw one with several grand worth of options. A panoramic sunroof tacks on about $1300. Add $2000 for a 900-watt, 19-speaker sound system that includes a subwoofer. The SafetyTec option package is another two grand, adding blind spot detection and adaptive cruise control along with a few other less-notable goodies. The as-tested price includes, we should mention, a $1000 gas guzzler tax.

Like what you read here? You can get a whole magazine full of these types of articles delivered to your home or shop 8 times a year. Subscribe now!

Visit the Classic Motorsports online store for a 2 for 1 special on back issues with MGB content!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
E7lfUULoxZfZ3hQIZwvORcWP5Ss4kklniTB2ugh1ozU3fZbBzrYiBD02aEVZ37o6