Flight Service
Flight Service SuperDork
6/30/12 11:25 p.m.

2012 Dodge Charger

New styling Pentastar V6 292 hp and 8 speed ZF Trans slushbox, 5.7 Hemi 370hp with 5 speed MB slushbox, and the SRT8 470hp with 5 speed MB slushbox.

What is everyone's opinion? I had a black rental and it was very quite, smooth (in Chicago) with the Pentastar and the MB slushbox (2011 model)

comments?

And for the record it is difficult to drive a black Dodge around Chicago without humming 'Sweet Home Chicago' and trying to jump E36 M3.

I didn't run into any Illinois Nazis. I hate Illinois Nazis

DoctorBlade
DoctorBlade SuperDork
7/1/12 12:07 a.m.

Get it in white, that's the new Cop Car around here. Crown Vic's are old news.

Strizzo
Strizzo UberDork
7/1/12 3:20 a.m.

Dad had a 300c rental for a while, with the 8 speed trans. He hated that it was always shifting up and down to keep the v6 in its powerband

jstein77
jstein77 Dork
7/1/12 9:19 a.m.

Cool in a beastly sort of way.

irish44j
irish44j SuperDork
7/1/12 9:30 a.m.

Opinion: Give the SRT8 800hp and I'm still not interested if it only comes with an autotragic..with paddle shifters or not, who cares.

New Styling is still ugly. Putting some swoosh lines on the door and rounding some edges doesn't fix the blah appearance of that car, nor make it smaller.

Curb weight at almost 4400lbs is almost the same as my 4Runner. If I'm gonna drive something that weighs as much as a body-on-frame SUV, it is gonna be a body-on-frame SUV, not a car.

/my opinion.

forzav12
forzav12 Reader
7/1/12 10:47 a.m.

Distinctive, American styling, RWD, a competent chassis, a variety of good engines, good fuel economy options available, great road trip car, upgraded interior and menacing in black-whats not to like? As to the weight? Big GTs are heavy these days. I'm not going to refuse an Audi, BMW, Benz, Caddy or anything else I may like because of the weight-that includes the Charger. I drive mainly on freeways and I actually have friends that like to come with on occasion, so little flyweight Auto-X specials don't meet my needs in many instances-nor does some clunky, rough riding antique of a truck.

forzav12
forzav12 Reader
7/1/12 10:49 a.m.

Flight Service wrote: 2012 Dodge Charger New styling Pentastar V6 292 hp and 8 speed ZF Trans slushbox, 5.7 Hemi 370hp with 5 speed MB slushbox, and the SRT8 470hp with 5 speed MB slushbox. What is everyone's opinion? I had a black rental and it was very quite, smooth (in Chicago) with the Pentastar and the MB slushbox (2011 model) comments? And for the record it is difficult to drive a black Dodge around Chicago without humming 'Sweet Home Chicago' and trying to jump E36 M3. I didn't run into any Illinois Nazis. I hate Illinois Nazis
Ranger50
Ranger50 SuperDork
7/1/12 11:04 a.m.
irish44j wrote: Opinion: Give the SRT8 800hp and I'm still not interested if it only comes with an autotragic..with paddle shifters or not, who cares. New Styling is still ugly. Putting some swoosh lines on the door and rounding some edges doesn't fix the blah appearance of that car, nor make it smaller. Curb weight at almost 4400lbs is almost the same as my 4Runner. If I'm gonna drive something that weighs as much as a body-on-frame SUV, it is gonna be a body-on-frame SUV, not a car. /my opinion.

But, but, but..... with a tune it can pull a tractor pull sled 140(?) ft!!!!! :rolleyes:

mattmacklind
mattmacklind UltimaDork
7/1/12 11:20 a.m.

I like them. I haven't seen the interiors on the new ones but the older interiors are too cheap looking. Had thoughts about a used R/T with the V8.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid SuperDork
7/1/12 5:45 p.m.

I like them. I am considering none for future purchase. I personally like the R/T with the 350hp Hemi.

THE only thing I don't like is that there is no LSD option. Its left to the traction control to do the work.

Vigo
Vigo SuperDork
7/1/12 6:13 p.m.

If they can make a new car heavier while still being faster, more efficient, handling as well, and stopping shorter than the last model.. Im mostly ok with it. After all that it just sorta sucks paying for tires, they cost as much as 4runner tires!!

daytonaer
daytonaer Reader
7/2/12 7:08 a.m.

Big comfy cruiser with a nice ride and good torque. Cops are blowing them up, not sure about long term reliability....

SyntheticBlinkerFluid wrote: THE only thing I don't like is that there is no LSD option. Its left to the traction control to do the work.

The challenger has an optional LSD, not sure why not in charger, same car. Would be simple addition.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic UltimaDork
7/2/12 7:40 a.m.

I think it is a little ugly compared to the last model. No really the kinda car I would buy.

Flight Service
Flight Service SuperDork
7/2/12 8:20 a.m.

In reply to daytonaer:

I know the cops can have V6 or Hemi, do you know which models they are popping?

BTW forzav12 thanks for the photo, and exactly

RossD
RossD UltraDork
7/2/12 8:52 a.m.

My dad has a 2010 R/T with the Road and Track package. 370 some odd horsepower with AWD drive that will let you lay down ten feet of rubber before kicking in. Its a hoot for gobbling highway miles, and it makes sweet engine noise when you wind it up.

Ian F
Ian F UberDork
7/2/12 9:55 a.m.
93EXCivic wrote: I think it is a little ugly compared to the last model. No really the kinda car I would buy.

I think it's better looking than the last model. I like the psuedo 68-70 era side and rear end styling, although the front end still needs a lot of help.

Ranger50
Ranger50 SuperDork
7/2/12 9:59 a.m.

SRT8's are almost IMPOSSIBLE to keep below 80.... Caught myself doing 90 in a 55 few times out on test drives....

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
7/2/12 10:29 a.m.

I looked at them at the NE auto show and was impressed. I thought I was going to hate it and was pleasantly surprised. They make a "Black Edition" of the car and I really like it. I test drove one with the V6 and it had all the pep I wanted for a street car. And yes people think you are a police officer. Especially with the smoked windows. I also really think that the optional leather interior is a huge step up from the basic.

The biggest thing found about the charger was compared to the sable and the camaro it was the only car that I could get the seat position so I could reach the petals and wheel properly and still have all the other secondary controls on the dash in easy reach. The camaro I found to be the worst offender in the category. To get the seating position correct the dash was just to far away. The Sable was the opposite I felt like I was in a cocoon.

I also liked the slightly retro styling of the interior on the Charger. It worked for me. I may be weird but I like having an analog clock with hands. It reads like another gauge. I don't like digital clocks in cars.

This is the car I test drove except it had the wing on the back (that I like)

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid SuperDork
7/2/12 11:58 a.m.
daytonaer wrote: Big comfy cruiser with a nice ride and good torque. Cops are blowing them up, not sure about long term reliability....
SyntheticBlinkerFluid wrote: THE only thing I don't like is that there is no LSD option. Its left to the traction control to do the work.
The challenger has an optional LSD, not sure why not in charger, same car. Would be simple addition.

It's only optional with the Automatic on the Challenger for some reason. The Charger wouldn't make a difference because its auto anyways.

The Charger reeeeally needs a 6-speed manual though.

Steve Chryssos
Steve Chryssos Associate Publisher
7/2/12 3:24 p.m.

The active Bilsteins on the SRT cars do an impressive job of managing the heft on track--as do the Brembos. I wouldn't bother to autocross one without yelling "Coming About", but boy, are the sedans foolish fun at track days--and pure trouble on the street. Having driven them all back to back at Willow Springs, I actually think the sedans are more fun that the Challenger. Maybe it's because I have higher expectations for the 2 door muscle car with the manual trans.

If you're gonna buy one of these boats, it might as well have four doors.

Flight Service
Flight Service SuperDork
7/2/12 9:50 p.m.

I really like the look, I have since they came out, I like the new one even better. (Hey it has been said in these forums before, I am the guy that owns and likes his Mazda5 and X3. What taste for style do I have?)

I found the car to be comfy and the V6 plenty zippy enough for a street car as well.

I like the fact that it is a left over E-class as well. I think that was the best gift MB ever gave Chrysler (and the auto)

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
NUX1DAxgsxcwsOkMQcd2ppQuvQP1TjqB3W0DNBoSp9sPDER9fFZUWHPWsFF27GQY