Shaun
Shaun HalfDork
4/3/12 3:17 p.m.
feature_image

Honda does great work, no doubt. And I hate to say I think Honda has diluted the SI to a rather pedestrian simmer despite of the fantastic drive train.

I would love to wear one out though!

Read the rest of the story

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UberDork
4/3/12 4:32 p.m.

It's about 400 lbs north of where it should be.

nderwater
nderwater PowerDork
4/3/12 6:04 p.m.

Honda totally lost me with the 2002 Civic - the newer versions just have zero appeal. With the S2000 and RSX out of production, the only Honda I'd consider is an Odyssey... for my in-laws.

irish44j
irish44j PowerDork
4/3/12 8:00 p.m.

the dashboard is still retarded. And there is still no turbo to give this car the punch of its competitors. Stop building appliances while Subaru, Mazda, even Kia are making cool, fun cars.

wemay
wemay None
4/26/12 5:57 p.m.

Has seen it's days as the compact performance leader come and go with the arrival of turbo + awd cars in the segment. Still a nice, oldschool drive.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
12/10/13 12:00 a.m.

Faster sport compacts may have come and gone, but the Honda Civic Si has soldiered on for more than a quarter-century thanks to a proven combination: more power, less fluff, stiffer suspension, tactile quality and effective ergonomics.

Honda introduced the ninth-generation Civic for 2012, and a sporty Si version joins the bill. Sometimes they make us wait for the hot one, sometimes they deliver it for opening day. Fortunately, this time there's no delay.

What do you need to know? The Civic Si again comes in two flavors—two-door coupe and four-door sedan—and displacement is up to 2.4 liters. Horsepower didn't really change—197 vs. 201—but Honda's calculator says that torque is up 22 percent.

The helical-type, limited-slip differential also remains standard, and there's just one transmission choice: a six-speed manual. The two-tier dashboard introduced last year remains, but, like the rest of the car, it all seems a bit more integrated.

In typical Honda fashion no real options are offered. Pricing is done by packages:

Civic Si Sedan: $22,405 Civic Si Sedan with summer tires: $22,605 Civic Si Sedan with Navi and XM Radio: $23,905 Civic Si Coupe: $22,205 Civic Si Coupe with summer tires: $22,405 Civic Si Coupe with Navi and XM Radio: $23,705 Civic Si Coupe with Navi, XM Radio and summer tires: $23,905

Do you like Civics? We do! In fact, we have owned just about every generation of the Civic Si. Subscribe now for tons of sports car content delivered 8 times a year.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
7O8A7znhoIz3MmMNPTWVLabeYefm1MhVSlfJMPGRKaRHNyyFEGXzyQxPaG3NPYRN