1 2
Jerry
Jerry Dork
2/26/14 12:16 p.m.

The offer at the local dealer haunts me. Good or bad opinions, knowledge??

confuZion3
confuZion3 SuperDork
2/26/14 1:18 p.m.

My sister owns one. It's black with red accents. I drive it every chance I get. She says she gets over 40 mpg, it's faster than my IS300 was, it's stupid fun to drive, and she hasn't had any problems with it.

I wanted one pretty badly, and I think it is a gender neutral car.

Also, I think it might sound a little better than my Viper. It's seriously good. Go get one!

jstein77
jstein77 SuperDork
2/26/14 2:23 p.m.

Gender neutral?

JThw8
JThw8 PowerDork
2/26/14 2:41 p.m.
confuZion3 wrote: She says she gets over 40 mpg

She's not driving it properly. I struggle to get 35mpg out of mine but I drive it hard. 80mph down the highway every day on my commute.

That said, great little car, loads of fun. 40,000 miles on mine now with no issues.

Would highly recommend.

eastsidemav
eastsidemav Dork
2/26/14 2:42 p.m.

Not to try to tempt you more, but could you roll with the 2.5RS for a while longer, and still have the Abarth? Don't know how much room is in your driveway, but you may want to play with the Suby once rallycross season begins.

I will let you know if the salesguy tells me if the offer gets extended into March. I can't get out to take a test drive until then, anyway.

logdog
logdog GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/26/14 3:09 p.m.

Whats the offer?

Mitchell
Mitchell UltraDork
2/26/14 3:14 p.m.

I test drive one a month or two ago -md even made a thread about it).

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/test-drove-the-500-abarth/75672/page1/

Considering how fun and relatively cheap they were running at the time, I am second guessing all of the money/work I am putting into my current car. I guess my only concern was losing the cargo space. The Focus can swallow quite a lot with the seats down. The 500 is a significantly smaller vehicle.

The Abarths are gorgeous in gray.

eastsidemav
eastsidemav Dork
2/26/14 3:23 p.m.
logdog wrote: Whats the offer?

Up to $6000 off MSRP(on loaded Abarths). The guy I'm talking to is claiming he can get me that as the OTD price...

Jerry
Jerry Dork
2/26/14 4:07 p.m.

In reply to logdog:

It's listed at $20.2k after the discount, and eastsidemav says the sales dude said it could go for that or less INCLUDING tax/title/license/etc....

I'm having thoughts of selling the MR2, rallycross the 2.5RS, and daily the Abarth. So many decisions...

logdog
logdog GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/26/14 4:41 p.m.

In reply to Jerry: Sent you a pm

Derick Freese
Derick Freese UltraDork
2/26/14 5:13 p.m.

I've gotten several quotes for under $20k OTD. Even the tarted up ones with dealer installed aftermarket crap wheels.

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/26/14 7:11 p.m.

In reply to JThw8:

Ours isn't an Abarth but we have the same issue with the mileage dropping off at speed. My wife gets about 40, but I could only get about 35 on the way to Florida. It gets more attention then just about any other car I've driven. We have one of the only Fiats in the area and almost every time I stop somewhere people want to talk about it.

JThw8
JThw8 PowerDork
2/26/14 8:07 p.m.
Wally wrote: In reply to JThw8: Ours isn't an Abarth but we have the same issue with the mileage dropping off at speed. My wife gets about 40, but I could only get about 35 on the way to Florida. It gets more attention then just about any other car I've driven. We have one of the only Fiats in the area and almost every time I stop somewhere people want to talk about it.

Recall Im coming from a Smart which got 45 even at that same 80mph. But I'll gladly take the MPG hit for the ability to annihilate other cars in the passing department from 80mph. In the smart any acceleration from 80 was slow. In the Abarth it's from 80 to 100 before you know what happened. It's a glorious vehicle to drive :)

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand UberDork
2/26/14 8:15 p.m.
Derick Freese wrote: I've gotten several quotes for under $20k OTD. Even the tarted up ones with dealer installed aftermarket crap wheels.

Wow! What dealer have you been working with?

crankwalk
crankwalk HalfDork
2/26/14 8:25 p.m.
Derick Freese wrote: I've gotten several quotes for under $20k OTD. Even the tarted up ones with dealer installed aftermarket crap wheels.

Ive seen several in the 19k range around here in Atlanta. Its just too damn small for all my stuff or I would have one.

Mitchell
Mitchell UltraDork
2/26/14 10:50 p.m.

Dammit, why did you make me look?

Local dealer has one listed for just over $16k, and a lot in the low-$18k range. They still have a ton of 2013 models in-house; I bet that the rest could be negotiated down.

Derick Freese
Derick Freese UltraDork
2/26/14 10:55 p.m.

In reply to dyintorace:

Pretty much every one in Florida.

Jerry
Jerry Dork
2/27/14 6:47 a.m.

Hmm I don't feel as pressured for time now. Might just have to test drive one this weekend or next week.

bentwrench
bentwrench Reader
2/27/14 7:32 a.m.

You youngsters never knew or saw the past crap foisted on the US public in the form of Fiat autos.

It seems that they were not designed to be operated over 35mph or in temps over 70°F or even parked in the sun.

Obtaining parts was a nightmare and caused financial ruin.

I owned more than one and had the displeasure of working on more than a few. Such a foul taste was left in my mouth that the memories and pain are still close at hand. So great was the fail, that I would consider a Renault or Citroen way before a Fiat.

The stench left by the brand was such that a generation of ignats had to pass for the memory of fail to fade. Perhaps the brand has raised the bar, but the fail was so great that I remain unconvinced and reserve judgment. So complete was the fail that I will not consider embracing the brand for at least a generation of good. I fully expect that time frame will fall beyond my lifespan.

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
2/27/14 7:41 a.m.

this thread has my interest

SlickDizzy
SlickDizzy GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
2/27/14 8:59 a.m.
bentwrench wrote: You youngsters never knew or saw the past crap foisted on the US public in the form of Fiat autos. It seems that they were not designed to be operated over 35mph or in temps over 70°F or even parked in the sun. Obtaining parts was a nightmare and caused financial ruin. I owned more than one and had the displeasure of working on more than a few. Such a foul taste was left in my mouth that the memories and pain are still close at hand. The stench left by the brand was such that a generation of ignats had to pass for the memory of fail to fade. Perhaps the brand has raised the bar, but the fail was so great that I remain unconvinced and reserve judgment. So complete was the fail that I will not consider embracing the brand for at least a generation of good. I fully expect that time frame will fall beyond my lifespan.

Another FIAT troll, eh? We are actually well aware of older FIAT products, most of us have owned a few. As far as I know, it was largely due to E36 M3ty "second-line" dealer support and mechanics that had no idea how to work on them ("whaddaya mean I gotta do the dang fan belt every 40k?"). They are actually really easy to turn wrenches on, and didn't rust any more than a Datsun or anything else of the era...and people love those...much as many of us loved our old Fiats. (Loved my X1/9.)

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
2/27/14 9:14 a.m.

Where are you guys finding the Abarth at 16-18k!? They are still asking 23k minimum around here even though they have a lot full of them (17 just sitting there).

Jerry
Jerry Dork
2/27/14 9:46 a.m.

In reply to Giant Purple Snorklewacker:

King's Fiat in Cincinnati I don't know about $16k but these are the one's I'm interested in at $20k.

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 HalfDork
2/27/14 10:25 a.m.

How are your respective insurance companies treating you guys that own Abarths? Typical Sport/Performance car jack the price up rates, or pretty typical economy car rates?

• Lee
kreb
kreb GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/27/14 10:28 a.m.
bentwrench wrote: You youngsters never knew or saw the past crap foisted on the US public in the form of Fiat autos. It seems that they were not designed to be operated over 35mph or in temps over 70°F or even parked in the sun. Obtaining parts was a nightmare and caused financial ruin. I owned more than one and had the displeasure of working on more than a few. Such a foul taste was left in my mouth that the memories and pain are still close at hand. The stench left by the brand was such that a generation of ignats had to pass for the memory of fail to fade. Perhaps the brand has raised the bar, but the fail was so great that I remain unconvinced and reserve judgment. So complete was the fail that I will not consider embracing the brand for at least a generation of good. I fully expect that time frame will fall beyond my lifespan.

You sound like my dad:"Hondas are terrible"

me: "Why's that?"

dad: 'My CVCC broke down all the time"

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
VXs4LxFFW45bYHJ4cLMQJpxHmv3oqvI7yEkD0dJZBOzjWa0CE6LOMSrrB512CMDm