series8217
series8217 New Reader
12/11/13 11:21 a.m.

Last Sunday was the final race of the 2013 Porterfield RallyCross Series at Glen Helen Raceway. I showed up with my Apocalypse Wagon, scored enough points to win the 2013 season, and then spent the rest of the day shooting thousands of photos of the afternoon run groups.

I shot these photos using my new Canon 70D with the EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM lens. I try to use minimal post-processing. Usually just a bit of contrast and exposure adjustment.

bluej
bluej Dork
12/11/13 11:32 a.m.

Base stealth whaaaaaaaaaattt???

PHeller
PHeller UberDork
12/11/13 11:52 a.m.
bluej wrote: Base stealth whaaaaaaaaaattt???

Still probably the most frustrating AWD vehicle to fix/repair/own outside of a 323 GTX or BiTurbo.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
12/11/13 11:59 a.m.
PHeller wrote:
bluej wrote: Base stealth whaaaaaaaaaattt???

Still probably the most frustrating AWD vehicle to fix/repair/own outside of a 323 GTX or BiTurbo.

Mostly because it's a FWD car.

I'd imagine a BiTurbo would be a frustrating AWD car, too. For a similar reason.

series8217
series8217 New Reader
12/11/13 11:59 a.m.
PHeller wrote:
bluej wrote: Base stealth whaaaaaaaaaattt???

Still probably the most frustrating AWD vehicle to fix/repair/own outside of a 323 GTX or BiTurbo.

FWD, not AWD.

BTW the Stealth won Stock 2WD on Sunday and got 2nd in the championship series in that class. Pretty fast driver at least.

bluej
bluej Dork
12/11/13 1:21 p.m.

I owned a stealth ES for a few years as my only car in college and spent a lot of time sliding it around in snowy lots. They're heavy. Impressive that that driver did well.

series8217
series8217 New Reader
12/11/13 7:07 p.m.
bluej wrote: I owned a stealth ES for a few years as my only car in college and spent a lot of time sliding it around in snowy lots. They're heavy. Impressive that that driver did well.

The stock classes are mostly a driver's race. I won Stock AWD this season in a bone stock 3500 lb 100 whp Subaru Outback wagon.

irish44j
irish44j UberDork
12/11/13 7:33 p.m.
series8217 wrote:

clearly not SCCA if they let you plant IED's on the course as obstacles

series8217
series8217 New Reader
12/11/13 8:49 p.m.
irish44j wrote: clearly not SCCA if they let you plant IED's on the course as obstacles

The driver of that car later posted on the forum that he thinks he bent his passenger side rear strut. Wonder why?

JtspellS
JtspellS Dork
12/11/13 9:18 p.m.
irish44j wrote:
series8217 wrote:

clearly not SCCA if they let you plant IED's on the course as obstacles

I mean just how in the hell do you pull that off with a passenger no less!!

Hidden jumps that pop up randomly might be the new thing in rally-x I guess...

Tom1200
Tom1200 New Reader
12/11/13 10:02 p.m.

I see Tony is still running his Golf. If he talks you into an after party of any kind run away from the infamous blender as fast as you can that thing as sidelined more rally drivers than all the roughest stages combined.

          Tom
captdownshift
captdownshift Reader
12/12/13 7:13 a.m.

i love that tree. great shot.

and the second is another absolutely fanstastic shot

series8217
series8217 New Reader
12/12/13 3:51 p.m.
JtspellS wrote: I mean just how in the hell do you pull that off with a passenger no less!! Hidden jumps that pop up randomly might be the new thing in rally-x I guess...

The tractor rental broke down so we couldn't smooth out the course between run groups. The best we could do was move the cones around between each group. Some areas of the course get badly rutted... and some drivers don't look out for the dips.

Tom1200 wrote: I see Tony is still running his Golf. If he talks you into an after party of any kind run away from the infamous blender as fast as you can that thing as sidelined more rally drivers than all the roughest stages combined.

Hahahaha Tony seems pretty cool, but thanks for the heads up!

captdownshift wrote: i love that tree. great shot. and the second is another absolutely fanstastic shot

Thanks!

I wish the car was a little sharper in the shot with the tree; but unfortunately I had focus on the berm behind it instead. Still going to look into making a poster shot of that one. It's actually a crop from a wider shot. The full shot looks great fullscreen on a big monitor, but the crop looks better for the forums. Maybe I'll post up a link to the big one later.

series8217
series8217 New Reader
12/14/13 2:55 a.m.

Forgot to post a link to a video I took at the event; you can see pretty much the whole course: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-WKhksLDMg

ckosacranoid
ckosacranoid Dork
12/14/13 6:22 p.m.

Some very cool shots you posted. Anyone else notice the black subby about to loss a tire off the rim in one shot. Theone shotvwith the tree looks very nice.

toUut7W3hYUa9gxcIVPlU1rg9M3ddr23