1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8
unk577
unk577 Reader
9/12/14 11:01 a.m.

Exhibition?? Damit, why wasn't this announced in a PSA?

Back out to the garage.....

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
9/12/14 11:03 a.m.
hobiercr wrote: Swank, you driving or towing down? Don't forget you have an entire body kit to haul home with you. It pretty much takes up the entire bed of my F350. John, you want me to bring a nitrous setup for that Q45? You got any room in your budget?

I'm driving, but the car doesn't have back seats. I've transported the front bumper off that kit in the car before for a few days with no issues. It'll fit no problem.

hobiercr
hobiercr GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/12/14 11:08 a.m.

In reply to Swank Force One:

Want me to tow that Turbo Scirocco along so you can take it home too?

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
9/12/14 11:10 a.m.
hobiercr wrote: In reply to Swank Force One: Want me to tow that Turbo Scirocco along so you can take it home too?

I don't have time to put a hitch on the MX6, or else i'd definitely consider it.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 UltimaDork
9/12/14 11:25 a.m.
hobiercr wrote: John, you want me to bring a nitrous setup for that Q45? You got any room in your budget?

Intentions of secrecy keep me from answering you directly but happy to take off-line or call any time jwelsh02(a) yahoo.com
419-five41-133five

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
9/12/14 1:52 p.m.
Swank Force One wrote:
SVreX wrote: 130 has been beat.
I'll bet they ran a bit faster than a 14.0, right?

Yep.

I am remembering 132 mph, but I can't remember if it was Andrew Nelson, or Pat Culkin.

I'd say that makes it a 10 second car.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
9/12/14 1:54 p.m.

I THINK Andy owns the 1/4 mile time, but Pat owns the trap speed (or was it Westside??)

Somebody help me out here.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
9/12/14 2:47 p.m.

Previously my car's claim to fame locally was that it was a 13 second car that trapped like an 11 second car.

I want a 14 second car that traps like a 10.

Also... for some reason i feel like Pat got a 135 in 2012.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 UltimaDork
9/12/14 4:40 p.m.
unk577 wrote: Exhibition?? Damit, why wasn't this announced in a PSA? Back out to the garage.....

Second sentence of the rules:
Cars found in violation of the spirit of the event may run for exhibition.

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/events/extra/2014-challenge-rules/

If it needs further announcement, there is also official Valve Cover Racing (think boyscout, pinewood derby racing with a vavle cover as the basis rather than pine.)
As well, there is the unofficial Cheap Beer Challenge where you bring beer from your home state/providence with a $1 per bottle price limit.

dansxr2
dansxr2 Dork
9/13/14 10:07 a.m.

I'm looking forward to the '15 Challenge as I will be back with a properly running car. Ben's setup should be very entertaining to say the last. You did a 12.8 @110 on a car with numerous issues(Turbo sitting 1/4" off the manifoild), I bet that 130 trap is definately doable!

aussiesmg
aussiesmg MegaDork
9/13/14 4:12 p.m.

Westside currently owns the fastest trap

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
9/13/14 4:28 p.m.

In reply to aussiesmg:

Do you remember how fast?

aussiesmg
aussiesmg MegaDork
9/13/14 7:45 p.m.

No, I was still on the starting line in the other lane

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGNCIpB2cDo

aussiesmg
aussiesmg MegaDork
9/13/14 7:48 p.m.

132.91 in this pass

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WC1HHFRoFcw

VWguyBruce
VWguyBruce HalfDork
9/14/14 12:42 p.m.
hobiercr wrote: Want me to tow that Turbo Scirocco along so you can take it home too?

Do I know this car?!? Old or New Scirroco? Why does it require towing?

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
9/14/14 8:34 p.m.
dansxr2 wrote: I'm looking forward to the '15 Challenge as I will be back with a properly running car. Ben's setup should be very entertaining to say the last. You did a 12.8 @110 on a car with numerous issues(Turbo sitting 1/4" off the manifoild), I bet that 130 trap is definately doable!

I didnt get 12s.

I think I did a 14.2@110 though.

wheels777
wheels777 Dork
9/15/14 7:27 a.m.
SVreX wrote:
Swank Force One wrote:
SVreX wrote: 130 has been beat.
I'll bet they ran a bit faster than a 14.0, right?
Yep. I am remembering 132 mph, but I can't remember if it was Andrew Nelson, or Pat Culkin. I'd say that makes it a 10 second car.

ET Record is 10.571 (2008 - Black Bug)

MPH record is 132.91 (2011 - Westside Colt)

Pat
Pat HalfDork
9/15/14 7:44 a.m.

Trap record is definitely Westside, I believe in the AWD converted Mirage that they are still racing. My best trap in Gainesville was 127.xx in the black Shadow in '09 when it had the Chrysler/Lotus 16v head on it.

SilverFleet
SilverFleet SuperDork
9/15/14 8:02 a.m.

It's still mind boggling and inspiring that you guys are running that fast for this kind of money.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg MegaDork
9/15/14 10:34 a.m.
SilverFleet wrote: It's still mind boggling and inspiring that you guys are running that fast for this kind of money.

QFT

Pat
Pat HalfDork
9/15/14 12:39 p.m.
SilverFleet wrote: It's still mind boggling and inspiring that you guys are running that fast for this kind of money.

Blatant disregard for engine longevity helps.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
9/15/14 12:52 p.m.
Pat wrote:

This.

It helps when you're working with motors that you can literally buy for a 6-pack.

You can do this two ways:

1) A motor that there's thousands of left available
2) A rare motor that nobody remembers anymore

SilverFleet
SilverFleet SuperDork
9/15/14 1:17 p.m.
Swank Force One wrote:
Pat wrote:
This. It helps when you're working with motors that you can literally buy for a 6-pack. You can do this two ways: 1) A motor that there's thousands of left available 2) A rare motor that nobody remembers anymore

Turbo Dodges, Small Block Chevys, and 4G63's fit this model in various degrees, so I agree with you.

Having the space to stack these parts like cord wood also helps. I've seen the Nelson family stash, and it is incredible.

Another thing is finding a platform that has a following, and sometimes a fleeting following helps. People are always getting into and out of certain makes and models of cars, but I always see people getting out of the Turbo Dodge scene, and when they do, the guys still in the scene can greatly benefit. I bought out a local Turbo Dodge guy's basement full of parts for next to nothing because he was "getting out of Turbo Dodges" and into Fox-body Mustangs. I got spare engine parts, tons of consumables, including some much needed and rare NOS body panels for my CSX. I sold what I didn't need and easily zeroed out my investment. I still have a stockpile of parts!

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
9/15/14 1:30 p.m.

That's how i operate when it comes to MX6/GD chassis cars. Support is starting to give out on these cars, and now is the best time to have one for this reason.

The Old Guard is jumping ship, so they're all blowing out their parts/collections for dirt cheap/free.

The rest of the community that you're competing with has literally no money and no clue about anything, so the competition just isn't there. If you can afford to throw out a 50% lowball, you're doing better than 99.9% of the rest of the players, so you usually get the part.

I've bought entire turbo kits including injectors for under $400. We're talking a kit that will do 350-400whp.

One of those kits resides on mndsm's car.

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
9/15/14 1:32 p.m.

With a turbo that's worth a ridiculous amount more than I paid for the entire kit. And as soon as I clear up some other bills, I'm probably going to start hoarding that stuff, and 20v toyota stuff.

1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
8bu1nmAdFNNNDw6l9CRh5QB6j3ziw2eXzz3kjwZ2HuYCBcHu7iBQBlJaBMibXvIQ