1 ... 4 5 6 7 8
Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
9/15/14 1:37 p.m.

That turbo is probably worth more than the rest of the car, if we're being honest.

To clear this up... some moron used a JGS Tools kit to build a manifold for an F2T. Then hung a GNX turbo on it. Yes... a GNX turbo.

Then i bought it for less than i've spent on a one night hotel stay.

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
9/15/14 1:40 p.m.
Swank Force One wrote: That turbo is probably worth more than the rest of the car, if we're being honest. To clear this up... some moron used a JGS Tools kit to build a manifold for an F2T. Then hung a GNX turbo on it. Yes... a GNX turbo. Then i bought it for less than i've spent on a one night hotel stay.

Yup, I got a few GN guys locally that found out I had that and were trying to throw money at me to buy it sight unseen. Then they heard what I had it on and about died of envy and hatred. I think i'll keep it so I can make old dudes keel over at car shows. If I'm not driving the 'rolla that is.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
9/15/14 1:42 p.m.

I should track down one of the old F40 hybrids to really make heads explode.

unevolved
unevolved Dork
9/15/14 2:29 p.m.

For those of us not in the know, what's particularly kickass about that particular turbocharger?

evildky
evildky Dork
9/15/14 2:33 p.m.
AngryCorvair wrote:
evildky wrote: I don't think I'm gonna make it this year, maybe 12 was my limit
do not like

Also happens to be the same weekend as our regions first event at our new site, the NCM track, although just an autocross, I'm kinda committed, I did try to get that date moved early on but couldn't make it happen. Anyone driving north on 65 after the challenge that wants to stop and check out the new site, we will likely be on site till about 5 pm central.

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
9/15/14 2:38 p.m.
unevolved wrote: For those of us not in the know, what's particularly kickass about that particular turbocharger?

TBH I'n not 100% sure. I know it makes a deceptively large amount of power for the GN dudes- and they all covet it for some reason due to slightly different internals over the GN turbo. What that really means is beyond me.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
9/15/14 2:50 p.m.
unevolved wrote: For those of us not in the know, what's particularly kickass about that particular turbocharger?

There were only so many GNXs, so the turbo itself is pretty uncommon. I think the tweaks over the Grand National unit were mild at best.

Looking at it, i don't think it's anything special, which is why i didn't feel the least bit bad bolting it to a challenge car.

Cotton
Cotton UltraDork
9/15/14 2:50 p.m.

I imagine it's due to the rarity. They only made 547 of the cars, and most were bubble wrapped since new because everyone knew they were special from the beginning, so I doubt there are many totaled or upgraded making the stock turbo available.

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/15/14 3:45 p.m.

What mods were done to the turbo that make it no longer usable on the GNX?

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
9/15/14 4:08 p.m.
Gearheadotaku wrote: What mods were done to the turbo that make it no longer usable on the GNX?

Wastegate flapper welded shut.

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/15/14 9:33 p.m.

that seems fixable if needed.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
9/16/14 8:07 a.m.
Gearheadotaku wrote: that seems fixable if needed.

I suppose. Probably more cost effective and easier to just get a new turbine housing and wastegate assembly from somewhere else.

VWguyBruce
VWguyBruce HalfDork
9/16/14 10:53 a.m.
evildky wrote:
AngryCorvair wrote:
do not like
Also happens to be the same weekend as our regions first event at our new site, the NCM track, although just an autocross, I'm kinda committed, I did try to get that date moved early on but couldn't make it happen. Anyone driving north on 65 after the challenge that wants to stop and check out the new site, we will likely be on site till about 5 pm central.

Equally disappointed, I don't think I've even been to a Challenge without you.

SilverFleet
SilverFleet SuperDork
9/16/14 11:38 a.m.
VWguyBruce wrote:
evildky wrote:
AngryCorvair wrote:
do not like
Equally disappointed, I don't think I've even been to a Challenge without you.

Yeah, what gives? Who's going to make fun of my wicked pissah Bahston accent now?

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
9/16/14 11:51 a.m.

Seriously Dave, you need to change that date somehow. It lost me my hotshoe driver, too.

dansxr2
dansxr2 Dork
9/19/14 11:52 p.m.

Didn't the GNX turbo's have a ceramic impeller? I believe that's the difference.

PseudoSport
PseudoSport HalfDork
9/29/14 1:44 p.m.

Signed up the AMC along with Jeff's car. Now all we need to do is finsih them.

How is everyone else doing?

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
9/29/14 1:52 p.m.

Pretty terrible.

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
9/29/14 2:04 p.m.

that right there is why I refuse to do wiring.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
9/29/14 2:13 p.m.
mndsm wrote: that right there is why I refuse to do wiring.

I can do it, but i hate doing it, and i went about this the wrong way. I made a few mistakes. Things i SHOULD have done:

1) Trusted my gut that while it would have taken longer to do the actual gutting, i should have left all harnesses IN the car during the gut job, and then i wouldn't be playing "where the berkeley does THIS go?" all the time.

2) Thrown it all in the trash and thrown together a switch panel in one quarter the time for probably under $40. (but i really needed that $40 to give me some wiggle room just in case i needed to source a new fitting or two for the meth kit)

I'm pretty sure where this is going to go is i'll give up troubleshooting my non-running car on the 19th and do #2 anyways.

On the plus side... the engine bay looks pretty rad.

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
9/29/14 2:25 p.m.

That bay IS super clean....

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
9/29/14 2:30 p.m.

Removing all the old grime and fire mats let me find wrinkles and cracked seams in all kinds of new and interesting places, too!

This car is such a POS.

tuna55
tuna55 UltimaDork
9/29/14 2:30 p.m.

In reply to mndsm:

needs moar valve cover...

and some other stuff

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
9/29/14 2:32 p.m.

Really just missing valve cover, intercooler piping, radiator hoses, meth tank and pump.

Almost all the wiring is actually already there in that picture.

Valve cover is getting some work. This fit pretty awesome after some work with a drill.

When you run most of your engine harness inside the car, it looks scary.

PseudoSport
PseudoSport HalfDork
9/29/14 2:56 p.m.

Looks like you are right on track, I'm in the middle of rewiring the car too. This is just the EFI harness.

1 ... 4 5 6 7 8

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Iy2swZOBuBEtkzyHIkJEo1PwEkE5OOr6eXShU09pjOJEiplX5rqBpcGSiS3AOhL8