1 2 3 ... 5
EdHigginbotham
EdHigginbotham Editorial Assistant
10/27/14 5:01 p.m.

Guys,

Had a great time at the Challenge meeting you all and getting to match faces to some of the names on here.

Anyway, we'll have final results posted online tomorrow.

evildky
evildky Dork
10/27/14 6:00 p.m.

Biting my nails in anticipation.

VWguyBruce
VWguyBruce HalfDork
10/27/14 7:13 p.m.

@YouCantWaitThisLongEverAgainToPostChallengeResults

pimpm3
pimpm3 HalfDork
10/27/14 7:24 p.m.

I hate to ruin the surprise but the mustang won.

As far as the cars I was involved with a miata is better then a q45 which is better then a broken fiero

EdHigginbotham
10/28/14 9:16 a.m.

And we have final results!

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
10/28/14 9:23 a.m.

I can't believe the infiniti posted that high.

chandlerGTi
chandlerGTi SuperDork
10/28/14 9:28 a.m.

The field was way smaller than in the past. Eds car is so strong and impressive, I watched the drag week videos and was blown away by it.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
10/28/14 9:35 a.m.

It was a smaller field than usual, but I think it was the most enjoyable one--and of course no disrespect to anyone who wasn't there. I think we have made the right changes on the backend that the event has a fresh, new vibe.

NONACK
NONACK HalfDork
10/28/14 9:38 a.m.

Is that the parking lot Fiero in the middle of the pack?

Jerry From LA
Jerry From LA Dork
10/28/14 9:47 a.m.

Is it me or was the competition bunched up more than in the past? The drags and autocross both had strong competition which made the concours more important than past years.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 UltimaDork
10/28/14 9:47 a.m.
mndsm wrote: I can't believe the Infiniti posted that high.

The Q45 truely rocked!
There is more to the story too.
1) I am not a drag racer, I did not realize that unlike autocross they did not write down your times but rather you have to turn in your slips. The first drag run was a 15.3 but the next day when I was informed that I had to turn in slips, the best slip that I had in my possession was a 16.3

2) The Infiniti Q45 budget was $1,006.49
The car road on new autox tires and fresh daily driver brake pads (old rotors) but other than that had no other performance improvements into suspension like shocks, springs or bushings improvements.
We could have taken the car farther but we were shooting for the $1,007 award and then they didn't actually give out a $1007 award

3) The car ended the drags early with an engine noise that cut the program short.

All in all, we had a great time and achieved our goals of better than mid-pack. I could very much be convinced to return with a fully sorted Q45.

The_Jed
The_Jed UltraDork
10/28/14 9:58 a.m.

Is there a breakdown of year by year attendance numbers somewhere?

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 UltimaDork
10/28/14 10:02 a.m.
The_Jed wrote: Is there a breakdown of year by year attendance numbers somewhere?

That should be the kind of thing that you can easily check at something like The Challenge Hall of Fame, but, that does not exist...yet.

I also wonder in another Infiniti ever competed but there is no single place to research that.

WillrunifChased
WillrunifChased New Reader
10/28/14 10:02 a.m.
NONACK wrote: Is that the parking lot Fiero in the middle of the pack?

Seems to be even with our crazy fast time at the drag strip. Little confused how we got beat by the echo for last chance challenger when looking at the results.

EdHigginbotham
10/28/14 10:19 a.m.
JohnRW1621 wrote:
The_Jed wrote: Is there a breakdown of year by year attendance numbers somewhere?
That should be the kind of thing that you can easily check at something like The Challenge Hall of Fame, but, that does not exist...yet. I also wonder in another Infiniti ever competed but there is no single place to research that.

Hoping to have a good solution to this in the future.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
10/28/14 10:22 a.m.

In reply to EdHigginbotham:

That would be terrific.

pimpm3
pimpm3 HalfDork
10/28/14 10:24 a.m.

Ed, could you add an indicator for the last minute challenger class to the results so that we can see how the procrastinators fared?

I must say somehow the spray bombed Fiero got 7th in the concours. See painting it in the dark with condensation wasn't that bad of an idea.

MrJoshua
MrJoshua PowerDork
10/28/14 10:28 a.m.

Whoa, how did we go from "less than one tenth of one point off of 3rd" to 8th? (#53 Mumpkin)

EdHigginbotham
10/28/14 10:28 a.m.

In reply to pimpm3:

I'll see what I can do. And I'm not going to lie, I'm still impressed with how well the battleship grey came out given the circumstances.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
10/28/14 10:31 a.m.
MrJoshua wrote: Whoa, how did we go from "less than one tenth of one point off of 3rd" to 8th? (#53 Mumpkin)

Second that.

The_Jed
The_Jed UltraDork
10/28/14 10:34 a.m.

In reply to JohnRW1621:

I suppose if I ever get laid off again I'll sift through my grm stash and see if I can get a list started.

It would be interesting to see how attendance and car purchase price and prep levels correlate with the overall state of the economy, year to year.

Rick Goolsby
Rick Goolsby Events Manager
10/28/14 10:37 a.m.

In reply to MrJoshua:

That was before the final scores were calculated to include the Dynamic score calculated in with the Dscore + the Concours average score.

This is one of the reasons why I did not have the final results for you guys at the banquet. After the glitch in the scoring system we had last year, I did not want to take any chances so I wanted to review the results and make sure the right calculations were made before posting them.

MrJoshua
MrJoshua PowerDork
10/28/14 10:50 a.m.

If you can't do the right calculations at the challenge how can you declare overall winners?

aussiesmg
aussiesmg MegaDork
10/28/14 11:14 a.m.
SVreX wrote:
MrJoshua wrote: Whoa, how did we go from "less than one tenth of one point off of 3rd" to 8th? (#53 Mumpkin)
Second that.

I think they confused you guys with us, we were 0.10 out of 3rd, I couldn't understand how they said you had finished ahead of the Razorback car

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
10/28/14 11:21 a.m.

In reply to aussiesmg:

The spread on the drags was similar to the spread in the autocross. It came down to the concourse.

At the time the announcement was made, none of us knew the concourse scores, so the announcement was not far fetched.

1 2 3 ... 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
0xk0SDjAQlPyo8rrkSCiQMvzTeJduLiGxSEZJqDVeRzT5UzRUzIVahhuYyo5OZim