1 2 3 4 5
Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
10/30/14 1:52 p.m.

Holy HELL.

Will you please come megasquirt my Jeep and make the engine bay look uncluttered? Kthx.

Lof8
Lof8 GRM+ Memberand Reader
10/30/14 2:09 p.m.

My approach for the concours was to cover the car in dirt. i am surprised I didn't get last :)

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk SuperDork
10/30/14 2:29 p.m.

I'm not a big fan of the concourse, or maybe just the weight it carries, I do understand the need to have decent looking vehicles for magazine content. If you look at the results sheet and ignore the concourse score various people move up, or down the list 4 and 5 places in the mid pack. The top two stay the same and 3rd and 4th swap positions. The fast guy is still 1st in either case. I intend to be there next year and will be content to break into the top 10 on dynamic score. If my concourse score moves me up or down....meh...it's about the racing.

Strike_Zero
Strike_Zero SuperDork
10/30/14 5:33 p.m.
PseudoSport wrote: Just wish I brought before pictures with me. Aug 23rd Oct 23rd

AMAZING!!

Sil80redtop
Sil80redtop Reader
10/30/14 6:14 p.m.

Even without seeing those pics, I was pretty surprised when I saw the low concours score the AMC received.

pimpm3
pimpm3 HalfDork
10/30/14 6:58 p.m.

The team gotta miata car that I was involved with was a very clean, nice car. It however didn't have the back story or presentation of our POS Fiero which we were literally spray painting as the judges approached. The Fiero got 7th in the concours but we had a good presentation, a great story and we did some extra things to get the judges attention. I served beer to the judges from the radiator opening and we covered the car with quotes from the previous day's thrash of a build. Overall it was a good concours and it helped our score slash ranking imensly. Heck the fact that we drove it into the concours area elicited applause and cheering from the assembled masses.

pimpm3
pimpm3 HalfDork
10/30/14 7:05 p.m.
DeadSkunk wrote: I'm not a big fan of the concourse, or maybe just the weight it carries, I do understand the need to have decent looking vehicles for magazine content. If you look at the results sheet and ignore the concourse score various people move up, or down the list 4 and 5 places in the mid pack. The top two stay the same and 3rd and 4th swap positions. The fast guy is still 1st in either case. I intend to be there next year and will be content to break into the top 10 on dynamic score. If my concourse score moves me up or down....meh...it's about the racing.

I disagree the racing is only part of the challenge. John's opening of the concours with cheerleaders, beads and a Dj was epic and set the tone for the whole event. The concours is a big part of the whole package. Looking at the cars, talking with my fellow competitors and enjoying the camaraderie over a beer is the essence of the challenge.

I have heard several others mention it and I can honestly say this challenge had a different vibe then earlier ones and was hands down the most enjoyable experience I have had at one to date.

Billy_Bottle_Caps
Billy_Bottle_Caps Dork
10/30/14 8:38 p.m.
Strike_Zero wrote:
PseudoSport wrote: Just wish I brought before pictures with me. wow. followed the build, amazing work. I can't imagine the time you had in just that engine bay transformation BBC Aug 23rd Oct 23rd
AMAZING!!
beans
beans Dork
10/31/14 1:09 a.m.
Swank Force One wrote: Why don't we make it even simpler. Part of your duties as a competitor is to mingle and look at each car and talk to the other competitors. You get a sheet with each entrant upon arrival to the hotel on Wednesday/Thursday/Whenever. Next to each entrant, you circle a score on a 0-10 scale as to how much you like it/find it interesting/like the color/think the competitor has a huge hangover and deserves a gift/whatever. You can score cars at your leisure up until say.... a cutoff time on Saturday. Your car's concours score is the average of all scores from all other competitors. Big sample size, and worst case scenario, everyone scores a perfect 10. All the magazine dudes/dudettes have to do is walk around and make a list of cars they want to feature.

THIS. I haven't been to a challenge, yet, but I've been following it since around 2005, and it's always confused the heck out of me.

pimpm3
pimpm3 HalfDork
10/31/14 9:42 a.m.

They already have a competitors choice award. John won this year probably due to hiring a chick to hand out beads in a low cut shirt. The Dj didn't hurt either...

aussiesmg
aussiesmg MegaDork
10/31/14 11:30 a.m.

One month, one guy, from roller as brought back

photo B0CE3AB7-6330-4A71-BEF0-0E2F91A6E5E2_zpswfcrbntz.jpg

photo 20141024_141523_zpsdc36da37.jpg

Vince rocked this build

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 UltimaDork
10/31/14 12:13 p.m.
pimpm3 wrote: They already have a competitors choice award. John won this year probably due to hiring a chick to hand out beads in a low cut shirt. The Dj didn't hurt either...

Here is the ad that I ran in Gainesville, CL to get models. I had two lined up then they each backed out. We sourced the Cheerleader at the last minute.
http://gainesville.craigslist.org/tlg/4702751019.html
Ah, Craigslist...we were posted on there near the fetish models and the foot sniffers but we had a much classier and more legit ad.

The beads were typical of a trade show in that, you want people to have something to take away from the booth. Our shtick was that the car had so much, bling, that everyone should be wearing bling.

In short, the Q45 photo bombed everyone else's presentation as can be seen in this video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WS4QeBWdrrA
Notice, if the people are under the roof, they were sporting our beads!

As for the Choice Award, I think we did one unique thing for that award...we asked people to vote for us.
Let's write that again...WE ASKED PEOPLE TO VOTE FOR US. The cheerleader gave people beads and then asked them to vote for us. We knew what the ballots looked like and we knew where they were to be turned in at. If you were there you may have also hear us make an announcement over the speakers about putting in your ballot. Oh yeah, and we had speakers!

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
10/31/14 12:29 p.m.

Challengers' Choice is always fun to watch, and this year the Infiniti guys nailed it. Why? They immediately became everyone's new best friend. And they had beads.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 UltimaDork
10/31/14 12:31 p.m.

Somewhere there is a video of our presentation. JG was shooting with the large video camera during.
I find it funny that many are say that they wished that had told the judges more or explained further. In our presentation there were 45 seconds of words (song intro run-up) and then pretty much maybe a sentence or two which would be hard to hear.

SilverFleet
SilverFleet UltraDork
10/31/14 12:50 p.m.

In reply to JohnRW1621:

I had no idea you guys actually hired models.

What you guys did took a lot of effort, no matter if you did a fly and drive or built it for two years. I just wish I saw it all. I was out cruising back from the car wash in the AMC and getting heckled by some toothless guy in a white Ford Aerostar who kept calling the Spirit a "Gramlin" while trying to race us.

I cannot wait to see someone try to outdo you guys next year.

yamaha
yamaha UltimaDork
10/31/14 1:09 p.m.
Swank Force One wrote: Maybe have concours be worth one point. Is the car a major E36 M3box? Yes = 0 points No = 1 point

Greatest Concourse scoring system EVAR!!!!!!

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
10/31/14 1:11 p.m.

Do models have to go into the budget as professional labor for the concourse points they earn??

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
10/31/14 1:14 p.m.

There was the year of the Rabbit, when the wives dressed like Playboy bunny cigarette girls and passed out requests for people's Challengers choice vote.

That was a little different.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
10/31/14 1:21 p.m.
SVreX wrote: Do models have to go into the budget as professional labor for the concourse points they earn??

I think unless they're installed on the car, they just count as a tool. Much like a wrench.

Karl La Follette
Karl La Follette UltraDork
10/31/14 4:46 p.m.

Rick Goolsby
Rick Goolsby Events Manager
11/4/14 9:48 a.m.

In reply to pimpm3:

Glad you enjoyed it!

VWguyBruce
VWguyBruce HalfDork
11/5/14 7:53 p.m.

All my years at the Challenge I have never voted for Challengers Choice. I always find the ballot in the bag when I get home and clean out the car.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
11/5/14 7:59 p.m.
VWguyBruce wrote: All my years at the Challenge I have never voted for Challengers Choice. I always find the ballot in the bag when I get home and clean out the car.

Send in your vote now for next year.

Vote for ME!

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
11/5/14 8:11 p.m.

Ben- we need to win this somehow.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
11/5/14 8:18 p.m.

One free bottle of Left Hand Nitro to each competitor.

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
WnZVXV2L8icdV2HAU8cbFC2babujv5vzJMmzYGtYITThZQqlPmakBfJ195fseP1t