1 2
Ed Higginbotham
Ed Higginbotham Editorial Assistant
10/26/15 3:16 p.m.
feature_image

A homemade fastback Mazda Miata that resembles the brand's Le Mans winner; a Volkswagen Beetle hotrod that can gobble a quarter-mile in 10 seconds; a Chevy Camaro that's an exact replica of a popular video game ride: They can be found together in only one place, the Grassroots Motorsports $2015 Challenge. The event meets every year at Auto Plus Raceway …

Read the rest of the story

pimpm3
pimpm3 Dork
10/26/15 4:48 p.m.

Wow I really must have sucked it up in the concours. I went from 13th dynamically (drag and autocross) to 20th. Oh well I need to work on my shtick for next year.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
10/26/15 4:50 p.m.

I will say, this year's concours was tough. I like the new, simpler scoring format, but some cars really pegged the "innovation" category.

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman Reader
10/26/15 4:55 p.m.
pimpm3 wrote: Wow I really must have sucked it up in the concours. I went from 13th dynamically (drag and autocross) to 20th. Oh well I need to work on my shtick for next year.

You need to recount, look at all of the Exhibition class cars off that finished in front of you. Also I must have missed the boat for saying I was one of the Aristocrats with the LS400. Can the exhibition class be put to the back of the list?

pimpm3
pimpm3 Dork
10/26/15 5:05 p.m.
Andy Neuman wrote:
pimpm3 wrote: Wow I really must have sucked it up in the concours. I went from 13th dynamically (drag and autocross) to 20th. Oh well I need to work on my shtick for next year.
You need to recount, look at all of the Exhibition class cars off that finished in front of you. Also I must have missed the boat for saying I was one of the Aristocrats with the LS400. Can the exhibition class be put to the back of the list?

Ok I went from 10th dynamically to 16th overall. Still not a good performance. 1st in aristocrats to 4th.

rcutclif
rcutclif GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/26/15 5:18 p.m.
pimpm3 wrote:
Andy Neuman wrote:
Ok I went from 10th dynamically to 16th overall. Still not a good performance. 1st in aristocrats to 4th.

Maybe try shaving off all of your paint?

Jerry From LA
Jerry From LA Dork
10/26/15 5:36 p.m.

I love that it came down to the concours.

pimpm3
pimpm3 Dork
10/26/15 5:37 p.m.

In reply to rcutclif:

That was pretty badass I must admit

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman Reader
10/26/15 6:23 p.m.

In reply to rcutclif:

I did that in $2011 dead last in concourse.

alfadriver
alfadriver UltimaDork
10/26/15 6:58 p.m.

Notes question- next to the Texas A&M Racing- there's a C- is that a note that this is a college team?

As if that's what it means, aren't the Wreck teams from Georgia Tech?

And were there other college teams?

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
10/26/15 7:08 p.m.
alfadriver wrote: Notes question- next to the Texas A&M Racing- there's a C- is that a note that this is a college team? As if that's what it means, aren't the Wreck teams from Georgia Tech? And were there other college teams?

Only those 2 colleges. Tech brought 2 cars

alfadriver
alfadriver UltimaDork
10/26/15 8:25 p.m.
patgizz wrote:
alfadriver wrote: Notes question- next to the Texas A&M Racing- there's a C- is that a note that this is a college team? As if that's what it means, aren't the Wreck teams from Georgia Tech? And were there other college teams?
Only those 2 colleges. Tech brought 2 cars

Neither of GT's cars teams have a C in their listing, that's why I was asking. If not college, what does the C mean for the A&M team?

David S. Wallens
10/26/15 10:30 p.m.

Pretty sure C stands for college (or is it cookie?), but Rick can confirm in the morning.

DatsunS130
DatsunS130 New Reader
10/26/15 11:05 p.m.
David S. Wallens wrote: Pretty sure C stands for college (or is it cookie?), but Rick can confirm in the morning.

Maybe the C stands for corn.

David S. Wallens
10/26/15 11:44 p.m.

True, in this case C could stand for corn.

alfadriver
alfadriver UltimaDork
10/27/15 6:32 a.m.
David S. Wallens wrote: True, in this case C could stand for corn.

Since you bring it up, say one has a large amount of really terrible wine. And a still. And can make Ethanol using a fuel licence.

Would I be labeled G then?

Can't say that I've not thought about that, too.

Rick Goolsby
Rick Goolsby Events Manager
10/27/15 9:16 a.m.

Look at the legend at the bottom of the scoring sheet and it will say what the letters mean.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Dork
10/27/15 9:34 a.m.

In reply to Rick Goolsby:

Not "C" though...

Jerry From LA
Jerry From LA Dork
10/27/15 11:09 a.m.

If the Nelsons didn't break the U-bolt, would that car be into the nines? Also, what is the low ET record for the Challenge?

pimpm3
pimpm3 Dork
10/27/15 12:04 p.m.

The 10.3 is the record. Don't know about 9's thats a question for Andrew.

alfadriver
alfadriver UltimaDork
10/27/15 12:32 p.m.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ wrote: In reply to Rick Goolsby: Not "C" though...

Which is why I asked.

TA_
TA_ New Reader
10/27/15 1:01 p.m.

In reply to pimpm3:

I feel your pain. 17th dynamically to 28th overall.

wheels777
wheels777 Dork
10/27/15 2:46 p.m.
Jerry From LA wrote: If the Nelsons didn't break the U-bolt, would that car be into the nines? Also, what is the low ET record for the Challenge?

The car broke the right ladder bar, not the U-bolt. The U-bolt got stripped when repairing the ladder bar.

The car would have run 10.30-ish if it were run the whole way through. The air density was 91%. The 10.396 is the new ET record.

Thanks for all the kind words. This was a special event for the family. Closure.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg MegaDork
10/27/15 3:09 p.m.

It couldn't have happened to nicer folks, great result.

Circuit_Motorsports
Circuit_Motorsports New Reader
10/27/15 4:57 p.m.

We had a good time and are looking to attend next year scheduling and time permitting. We want to thank everyone who made us feel welcome and voting for us to win the Challengers' Choice award, that was a great feeling knowing that the other competitors really liked what we brought!

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Ctsu1gJwg5b7kkN7u4QOekCMdH8dzgsiMhg4xdhHB6o16N8jM5xtPiSygGbqKxp9