1 2 3
Ian F
Ian F UltimaDork
7/30/14 12:36 p.m.

http://autoweek.com/article/car-news/2015-chevrolet-ss-gets-available-stick-shift?utm_source=DailyDrive20140730&utm_medium=enewsletter&utm_term=headline-top&utm_content=body&utm_campaign=awdailydrive

Holden's last hurrah?

Harvey
Harvey GRM+ Memberand Reader
7/30/14 12:45 p.m.

The auto needs an 8 speed, the gas mileage is atrocious. I doubt I would want a six speed manual in one of these. I know, heresy, but I see little point. I had a Buick Regal GS with a six speed for a while and I realized it wasn't doing anything for the car.

Now my Focus ST, that manual is necessary.

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
7/30/14 12:48 p.m.
Ian F wrote: http://autoweek.com/article/car-news/2015-chevrolet-ss-gets-available-stick-shift?utm_source=DailyDrive20140730&utm_medium=enewsletter&utm_term=headline-top&utm_content=body&utm_campaign=awdailydrive Holden's last hurrah?

This makes my giggly bits all happy. Go GM!

Sine_Qua_Non
Sine_Qua_Non HalfDork
7/30/14 1:08 p.m.

Too little too late me thinks.

amg_rx7
amg_rx7 Dork
7/30/14 1:51 p.m.

^Yep. Just like the G8 and the V8 M3.

Unlike the G8 and M3, the SS is too big of a car for me to want to shift gears in. It's more of a big family hauler not really a sports sedan. imo...

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
7/30/14 3:23 p.m.

Wonder how hard it will be to source parts to convert 9C1s when they start coming up at auction?

Derick Freese
Derick Freese UltraDork
7/30/14 3:44 p.m.

I want one. Hell, my wife refuses to drive an automatic car.

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave MegaDork
7/30/14 3:48 p.m.
amg_rx7 wrote: ^Yep. Just like the G8 and the V8 M3. Unlike the G8 and M3, the SS is too big of a car for me to want to shift gears in. It's more of a big family hauler not really a sports sedan. imo...

Isn't it the exact same car as a G8, with a different fascia?

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave MegaDork
7/30/14 3:52 p.m.

Also, wagon version would rule all worlds.

Snrub
Snrub Reader
7/30/14 4:17 p.m.
Harvey wrote: The auto needs an 8 speed, the gas mileage is atrocious.

In the C7, the 7 speed manual has a 1mpg advantage over the auto. So let's say the fuel economy improves 2mpg with a 8 speed auto. Does that really make or break a purchase decision for a performance oriented car?

81cpcamaro
81cpcamaro HalfDork
7/30/14 4:21 p.m.
DILYSI Dave wrote:
amg_rx7 wrote: ^Yep. Just like the G8 and the V8 M3. Unlike the G8 and M3, the SS is too big of a car for me to want to shift gears in. It's more of a big family hauler not really a sports sedan. imo...

The exterior dimensions are the same for both cars, so pretty much a Chevy version of a G8.

amg_rx7
amg_rx7 Dork
7/30/14 4:21 p.m.
DILYSI Dave wrote:

Dunno. If it is, it really seems to have been bloated out. It looks larger than the G8 that I regularly see.

kanaric
kanaric HalfDork
7/30/14 4:22 p.m.

It is literally the same car as the G8. They are both the same generation of holden commodore.

Matt B
Matt B SuperDork
7/30/14 4:27 p.m.
Derick Freese wrote: I want one. Hell, my wife refuses to drive an automatic car.

Yours too? (high five)

For the record, I'm glad it exists. I really liked the G8 (at least on paper and with my eyeballs).

amg_rx7
amg_rx7 Dork
7/30/14 5:50 p.m.
81cpcamaro wrote:
DILYSI Dave wrote:
The exterior dimensions are the same for both cars, so pretty much a Chevy version of a G8.

Just googled it and you are correct. Wow, it looks bigger in my eyes. Weird...

kanaric
kanaric HalfDork
7/30/14 6:00 p.m.

well if this were 1988 it would be the same size as a SUV or van, that's just how ridiculous cars are now

Harvey
Harvey GRM+ Memberand Reader
7/30/14 6:03 p.m.
Snrub wrote:
In the C7, the 7 speed manual has a 1mpg advantage over the auto. So let's say the fuel economy improves 2mpg with a 8 speed auto. Does that really make or break a purchase decision for a performance oriented car?

It's a 5 speed auto in this car. You think you're only gonna get 2mpg out of an 8 speed?

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy PowerDork
7/30/14 6:29 p.m.

Me likey. Except not in my price range.

logdog
logdog GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/30/14 6:50 p.m.

I was going to buy one until I found out it didn't have a powerglide

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/30/14 8:08 p.m.

well.. what was the gas mileage with the 5 speed.. 2mpg more might be a big increase

fidelity101
fidelity101 Dork
7/30/14 10:06 p.m.
Snrub wrote:

I dont buy stick cars because of mpg but the way the drive and sense of control.

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
7/30/14 10:23 p.m.

The only thing seperating me from this car is the winning lottery numbers...

rebelgtp
rebelgtp UberDork
7/30/14 11:02 p.m.

The drive train package is nice but the looks of it are kinda meh to me. For less money I would grab one of the new Chargers and I don't even particularly like the look of them compared to the older ones. That is actually one of the things that we liked about our current Charger, it doesn't really look like every other cookie cutter sedan out there right now. You see a Charger you know what it is. With this Chevy unless you are a car guy you would walk right by it and never know what was under the hood.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
7/31/14 1:58 a.m.
rebelgtp wrote: With this Chevy unless you are a car guy you would walk right by it and never know what was under the hood.

Some people like that.

docwyte
docwyte HalfDork
7/31/14 3:38 p.m.

This car looks like a TON of win. Surprised you guys are acting like it's a bowl of left over garbage.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
V8Itewo3WONASyHcXf0aEEoRnqFaLL3WLwOXclytKJmQOIHN3Kg0XEIK6KqwTBGk