1 2
Klayfish
Klayfish UltraDork
10/5/15 9:03 a.m.
Ian F wrote: So to me, this wouldn't be an issue that would dissuade me from a particular car or engine type. Just another maintenance item to be scheduled.

I agree you could view it as another maintenance item, but it's an expensive one, especially if you can't DIY. It doesn't "scare" me, but just factors in when I'm looking at buying a car and all the costs/maintenance needs associated. A turbo DI needs much more than a port injected NA.

And I completely agree with Flight Service in that it's an awesome time to be a hot hatch fan. A wealth of choices, which I love.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
10/5/15 9:13 a.m.

I was curious... and it turns out Bav Auto sells a DIY cleaning kit for the N54/55 engines that isn't too expensive. The media blaster is a standard tool, but the special port adapter isn't as expensive as I thought it would be: $260 for the kit.

http://www.bavauto.com/fland.asp?part=B1100001&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cse&utm_term=B1100001-335ICOUPE-2008-576962&gclid=CNTd6MHAq8gCFdUTHwodlz8G0Q

Where there is a need, the aftermarket will fill it. Now I just need someone to come up with an ALH port adapter.

Coldsnap
Coldsnap HalfDork
10/5/15 4:05 p.m.

Ah. You know I just noticed my car states - Fuel Injection: Sequential multi-port.

So i might be good on carbon buildup.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
DtWACQmxP4X6RrYhkmEbWPH7oFTAHvpoq2jaTTvaPmSQcv0rDkUgsmWaqnGNCEoT