1 2 3 4
aussiesmg
aussiesmg MegaDork
10/28/14 6:44 p.m.

The future of the Challenge is new blood, we, the competitors are the best ambassadors for the future.

Bring a friend, have them join your team in the pits, next year they will bring their own team. Team Infinity is a case of exactly this.

I will be back, I think Vince will be with me, but we are talking 2 cars, who can you influence?

photo 20141023_190359_zps26176d5f.jpg

WillrunifChased
WillrunifChased New Reader
10/28/14 6:47 p.m.

I really wish I could find an affordable two car trailer to tow with the suburban. Finding friends to come that have 2k to spend on a car isn't hard, finding friends that have 2k to spend on a car that have a trailer and time to take a week off is hard coming from PA.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg MegaDork
10/28/14 6:58 p.m.

Fly and drive then, Infinity did

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/28/14 7:03 p.m.

It's bad enough I don't have a car, no you remind me I have no friends.

pimpm3
pimpm3 HalfDork
10/28/14 7:23 p.m.

I am thinking of bringing two cars next year. Possibly the fiero and whatever bobo piece I can buy the week before the event.

I have no problem helping with a fly and drive, I am near the closest major airport and I buy and sell cars all the time. It worked out well with John and team Infiniti.

tb
tb GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
10/28/14 7:27 p.m.

While I highly doubt that I will be able to manage an entry of my own next year I most definitely plan on being there. I cannot promise huge amounts of help in any one area but I will certainly do whatever I can wherever I am needed.

I have spent some time today coming up with a list 10 people long so far to contact about getting involved. Probably will not result in much actual response but I want to spread the word.

I personally know 5 former challengers that were not present lately that I will reach out to about coming back. I know that there are a million reasons why people cannot do it but maybe they just need a little reminder that there is a community waiting for their return.

It really does not take much effort to try and I think that we can all agree that the possible results could be really, really cool.

Also, I think that we all need to thank our sponsors.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand UberDork
10/28/14 7:59 p.m.

I've been wanting to come for quite some time, but the timing is off as the kids are already in school.

Kia_Racer
Kia_Racer Dork
10/28/14 8:19 p.m.
Wally wrote: It's bad enough I don't have a car, no you remind me I have no friends.

QFT!!!!

Mr_Clutch42
Mr_Clutch42 Dork
10/28/14 8:42 p.m.

In reply to pimpm3: I may want to drive one of your cars, then!

wae
wae HalfDork
10/28/14 9:02 p.m.

There's a business for you: arrive and drive Challenge cars! $5000 for a $2015 entry, $8000 if you want it under $1000 budget? Would that count?

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
10/28/14 10:04 p.m.

I'm in come hell or high water. Spoolpigeon will be rolling with if he knows what's good for him.

Mndsm will only scheduling away. His car will be ugly, but roll hard.

Dansxr2 is anticipating a return.

I have a Miata friend in Ohio that is searching for an mx6 gt. His budget forces a Challenge-legal car.

So yes. I will be back, and will bring a friend.

Pat
Pat HalfDork
10/29/14 4:48 a.m.

This is exactly how I got sucked into this...I helped Barry and Bill out with the Puzzle Shelby Charger a few times and ended up going to the event to check it out. Next thing I knew, I was building a challenge car. :-)

I brought my brother down last year and he's chomping at the bit to go back. We'll be back next year.

petegossett
petegossett GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
10/29/14 5:51 a.m.

I've been planning on heading down each year since '99..still haven't made it yet!

Wally, NYC wouldn't miss one of their busses for a couple days, right?

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
10/29/14 7:34 a.m.

I'll be back and trying to drag someone along.

I should be buying a car to bring by the end of this year.

Rick Goolsby
Rick Goolsby Events Manager
10/29/14 7:39 a.m.

In reply to aussiesmg:

Well said and very true. Who in your circle of influence can you get to come. Mentor a younger person and share your love of cars with them. That will be the future of the event, plus a reunion of the fathers of the Challenge.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
10/29/14 8:39 a.m.

In reply to Rick Goolsby:

May I suggest you offer an award that encourages new participation?

Father/ son, student teams, newbie, lady's build, etc?

How about a rookie lunch with the staff, or free tee shirts?

I've been bringing kids (and newbies) for 10 years, and sometimes getting them back the 2nd time is harder than the first.

I can sell the event. The craziness, the creativity, whatever. But they often feel intimidated, overwhelmed and don't know how to plug in.

How about go kart sprints or autocrosses for newbies?

$201.50 go kart build?

Free subscription for 1st timers?

Family build award?

Yeah, these are a little self-serving for me, but I think raising up the next generation of GRMers is a good thing.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
10/29/14 8:43 a.m.

I happen to know 2 different 16 year olds will be there this year with their own cars...

BTW- the track rules this year made the event LESS friendly to students. No one under 16 was allowed in the car, even as a passenger in a fun run.

I had 3 young people with me who were bored to tears, and would have had an incredible weekend if they had been allowed to ride shotgun with a pro driver. We have done it in the past, and set up the car for it.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
10/29/14 8:47 a.m.

BTW, my older son drove at the Challenge on the road course in 2004 when he was 15.

WillrunifChased
WillrunifChased New Reader
10/29/14 8:57 a.m.
SVreX wrote: In reply to Rick Goolsby: May I suggest you offer an award that encourages new participation? Father/ son, student teams, newbie, lady's build, etc? How about a rookie lunch with the staff, or free tee shirts? I've been bringing kids (and newbies) for 10 years, and sometimes getting them back the 2nd time is harder than the first. I can sell the event. The craziness, the creativity, whatever. But they often feel intimidated, overwhelmed and don't know how to plug in. How about go kart sprints or autocrosses for newbies? $201.50 go kart build? Free subscription for 1st timers? Family build award? Yeah, these are a little self-serving for me, but I think raising up the next generation of GRMers is a good thing.

It is intimidating for new entrants. It takes a very high level of skill, time and patience to be at the top. There are very few people that can build a car to compete near the top. It would be nice to see some more awards for the competitors who dont necessarily have the skills to fabricate.

I know you want interesting cars for the magazine but you also want more entrants. When there are different awards to win, it gives people hope to win something. Not just be there for fun and to see the creations from other competitors. In all seriousness with my lack of skill it would probably take me 10-15k to have a real shot at winning.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
10/29/14 9:08 a.m.
WillrunifChased wrote: I really wish I could find an affordable two car trailer to tow with the suburban. Finding friends to come that have 2k to spend on a car isn't hard, finding friends that have 2k to spend on a car that have a trailer and time to take a week off is hard coming from PA.

Exactly this.

Building a one-event car for $2k... then dragging it 2000 miles + hotel + food for a 2 day event that does not involve much actual driving of the car is the opposite of an attractive idea. Now... if it ended in a mandatory smash-up derby then we all got scrap value for the cars by weight I might consider it. I'm pretty sure I can buy a backhoe for under $2k.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg MegaDork
10/29/14 9:18 a.m.

It has taken me 6 years to climb to 4th overall, which is why we are the best ambassadors, only entrants know what it takes, 1st time car builders will improve, some go for the gold ring, don't they Ed.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
10/29/14 9:26 a.m.

In reply to aussiesmg:

I get what you are saying, but some perks or opportunities for new participants can't hurt.

I've been here 11 years. I've brought new people every year. Few want to return (including my own kids).

The only reason I've been able to keep doing student builds is I have a lot of kids over a broad range.

I am trying to inspire them. Sometimes I need a little help.

BTW, Aussie, you've been part of that help. You have engaged my kids, talked with them, and ridden them in your car. I appreciate it, and it has helped inspire them.

Rule changes that make that stuff more prohibitive does not help inspire the next generation.

tb
tb GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
10/29/14 9:34 a.m.
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote: ...Building a one-event car for $2k... then dragging it 2000 miles + hotel + food for a 2 day event that does not involve much actual driving of the car is the opposite of an attractive idea...

You are 100% correct and I will not at all argue with the logic and logistics in your post.

However, there is a large component of the event that you are not addressing. The actual "racing" and "showing" at the challenge are, at most, 50% of the weekend experience. The community of old friends and new are a major draw for many people. It really is a great crowd to hang out with; it is much more like one large team against the challenge versus 30-50 teams fighting each other. There is friendly and fierce competition but it is mostly overshadowed by everyone trying to have fun together.

Plus, the WTF factor of wandering around and seeing some of the backyard engineering is better than a years worth of car shows.

This year I couldn't get my car ready so I hopped a plane, grabbed a pretty cool rental and showed up ready to help anyone. I planned on working on the fiero and did until my health reached its limit. Luckily, team infiniti needed help that I could provide and they adopted me into their crew. We had a pretty good time together and I think our efforts will become part of Challenge legend on more than one level.

I'll stop rambling, but it is important to consider the weekend in its entirety.

JamesMcD
JamesMcD Dork
10/29/14 9:34 a.m.
Kia_Racer wrote:
Wally wrote: It's bad enough I don't have a car, no you remind me I have no friends.
QFT!!!!

What these guys said.

DaveEstey
DaveEstey PowerDork
10/29/14 9:40 a.m.

The challenge was more appealing before Lemons came around. I can spend less, get more race time, see lots of friends, create crazy solutions to questions nobody asked and not have to tow 30 hours one way.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
SierBnPCvviqYXylBE0yMOly14klPFACSYU42zY1FGbAkaqteeRt2zq5OleJOSFf