1 2
Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson PowerDork
4/21/14 2:38 p.m.

http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2014/04/21/2015-ford-mustang-big-secret-revealed/?intcmp=features

Wow, news to me, built in Line lock with Track apps on the 15 GT!

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UltraDork
4/21/14 2:55 p.m.

That's berkeleying cool.

Vigo
Vigo PowerDork
4/21/14 3:11 p.m.

Line lock is just a software function away on any car with 4 channel ABS (which is EVERY brand new car). Props to Ford for being the 1st oem to put the $12 of development work in and actually give it to us on a ~$3000 option package. Just guessing on the package price, i have no idea what it costs.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UltraDork
4/21/14 3:16 p.m.

It's acknowledging that these cars are meant to do stupid things and then helping owners do them. Go Ford go.

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
4/21/14 3:38 p.m.

It's neat, but combined with the traction control-- it takes a lot of the skill out of drag racing.

I guess performing a brake torque will be another "lost art" soon......like operating a manual transmission, or reading a map.

get off my lawn!

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
4/21/14 3:41 p.m.

While cool I think GM's software for the Camaro that helps with wheelspeed and whatnot while airborne http://www.autoblog.com/2014/02/25/chevy-camaro-z28-flying-car-mode-video/ is cooler.

rebelgtp
rebelgtp UberDork
4/21/14 3:44 p.m.

Did you all catch the part where Ford says if you race your new Mustang with these features you will void the warranty?

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
4/21/14 3:45 p.m.
rebelgtp wrote: Did you all catch the part where Ford says if you race your new Mustang with these features you will void the warranty?

What's a warranty? Is that sorta like a Celebrity? I thought Chevy quit making those years ago.

Petrolburner
Petrolburner New Reader
4/21/14 10:50 p.m.
rebelgtp wrote: Did you all catch the part where Ford says if you race your new Mustang with these features you will void the warranty?

"Did you race your Mustang?" asked the Ford Technician.

"No." said the owner.

rebelgtp
rebelgtp UberDork
4/21/14 11:20 p.m.
Petrolburner wrote:
"Did you race your Mustang?" asked the Ford Technician. "No." said the owner.

"Really? Because the onboard computer indicates otherwise and the GPS shows multiple trips to the track followed by activation of the line lock and aggressive acceleration." Says the Tech.

Petrolburner
Petrolburner New Reader
4/22/14 12:03 a.m.
rebelgtp wrote:
Petrolburner wrote:
"Really? Because the onboard computer indicates otherwise and the GPS shows multiple trips to the track followed by activation of the line lock and aggressive acceleration." Says the Tech.

"Damn." said the dejected owner

Lancer007
Lancer007 Reader
4/22/14 12:38 a.m.

I want to think stuff like this is made to cater to the track enthusiast but I feel like its really an effort to void warranties and other nefarious purposes I.e. http://www.businessinsider.com/ford-exec-gps-2014-1

fasted58
fasted58 PowerDork
4/22/14 12:38 a.m.

Well, that's gonna leave some marks.

confuZion3
confuZion3 UltraDork
4/22/14 1:39 a.m.
Petrolburner wrote:
rebelgtp wrote:
Petrolburner wrote:
"Damn." said the dejected owner

"Well... did you at least win?" asked the tech.

novaderrik
novaderrik PowerDork
4/22/14 3:57 a.m.
Joe Gearin wrote: It's neat, but combined with the traction control-- it takes a lot of the skill out of drag racing. I guess performing a brake torque will be another "lost art" soon......like operating a manual transmission, or reading a map. get off my lawn!

how do you feel about the possibly hundreds of thousands of older cars running on tracks all across the country that have aftermarket line locks in them? or does your sense of outrage only apply to new cars?

edizzle89
edizzle89 Reader
4/22/14 5:54 a.m.

"line lock" aka another way for 16 year olds to wreck there dad's mustang

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
4/22/14 6:05 a.m.

Isn't the warranty the first part you remove from a new car?

I've been waiting for a long time for someone to hack the ABS controller to give a built-in line lock. As mentioned, the hardware is all already there, it just needs a couple lines of code. Shame on the hacker side of enthusiasts for waiting until an OEM bothered to do it for them.

Knurled
4/22/14 6:06 a.m.
novaderrik wrote:
Joe Gearin wrote: It's neat, but combined with the traction control-- it takes a lot of the skill out of drag racing. I guess performing a brake torque will be another "lost art" soon......like operating a manual transmission, or reading a map. get off my lawn!
how do you feel about the possibly hundreds of thousands of older cars running on tracks all across the country that have aftermarket line locks in them? or does your sense of outrage only apply to new cars?

Wait until he finds out about transbrakes, air shifters, and electronic throttle stops...

Knurled
4/22/14 6:08 a.m.
Petrolburner wrote:

"I raced some tool in a Camaro, WITH my Mustang," he continued.

T.J.
T.J. PowerDork
4/22/14 6:34 a.m.
mndsm wrote: While cool I think GM's software for the Camaro that helps with wheelspeed and whatnot while airborne http://www.autoblog.com/2014/02/25/chevy-camaro-z28-flying-car-mode-video/ is cooler.

Flying car mode sounds even cooler than it it. It is interesting that with the little bit of programing they were able to shave 5 seconds off their ring lap time. Just think if the Camaro didn't weigh 4000 pounds, just think how much more likely the car would be to even leave the ground.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo MegaDork
4/22/14 8:22 a.m.

I don't think its a "get off my lawn" thing at all.

All I have to say: Neat.

Puts firework in your mailbox

rebelgtp
rebelgtp UberDork
4/22/14 9:19 a.m.
Knurled wrote:
Petrolburner wrote:

"...then we both lost to a Hellcat equipped Challenger." Finished the owner.

"Bummer" says the tech as he hands the owner a big fat bill.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo MegaDork
4/22/14 9:26 a.m.
rebelgtp wrote:
Knurled wrote:
Petrolburner wrote:
"...then we both lost to a Hellcat equipped Challenger." Finished the owner. "Bummer" says the tech as he hands the owner a big fat bill.

and some vaseline.

nicksta43
nicksta43 UltraDork
4/22/14 9:27 a.m.

What is a more effective way of getting off the line? A line lock like the mustang or launch control like the super cars. Both are aimed at being repeatable and both will void your warranty. (Nissan)

rebelgtp
rebelgtp UberDork
4/22/14 9:29 a.m.
N Sperlo wrote:
rebelgtp wrote:
Knurled wrote:
Petrolburner wrote:
"...then we both lost to a Hellcat equipped Challenger." Finished the owner. "Bummer" says the tech as he hands the owner a big fat bill.
and some vaseline.

And this concludes another exciting episode of GRM theater!

Everyone take a bow.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
eLADA96WgdcGCBqU6NRX6K102R5P5Ws6Iyam4wtdLnorQbFN7Alu5j7eubltvwSk