1 2
Ed Higginbotham
Ed Higginbotham Editorial Assistant
8/28/15 12:51 p.m.
feature_image

Nismo has once again laid their hands on the Juke, Nissan's zippy crossover. It received the full treatment: Turbo power, manual transmission and a reworked suspension. But is it really the supercar of crossovers?

Read the rest of the story

bravenrace
bravenrace MegaDork
8/28/15 1:24 p.m.

Sorry, I'm a form follows function kind of guy, but I can't drive something that ugly no matter what.

tjbell
tjbell Reader
8/28/15 1:26 p.m.
bravenrace wrote: Sorry, I'm a form follows function kind of guy, but I can't drive something that ugly no matter what.

This

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
8/28/15 1:39 p.m.

You know, I don't mind the looks, although I'm still not sure which front lights are the headlights. If Nissan could put this package into a small sedan, they'd have a winner.

jimbob_racing
jimbob_racing Dork
8/28/15 1:46 p.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens:

No, if Nissan built the IDx with this stuff in it, they'd have a winner.

rcutclif
rcutclif GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/28/15 1:47 p.m.

It weighs what, 100? 200? lbs more than an SVT focus and has 45 more HP?

I'd take it off some sweet jumps.

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy UltraDork
8/28/15 1:50 p.m.

you can keep the red trim.... but the Juke is one of the wifes choices in the current car market

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 UltimaDork
8/28/15 2:20 p.m.

Is auto trans still required if you want the awd?

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/28/15 2:33 p.m.

I've always loved the way they look, but I think spiders are neat.

Vigo
Vigo PowerDork
8/28/15 2:34 p.m.
You know, I don't mind the looks, although I'm still not sure which front lights are the headlights. If Nissan could put this package into a small sedan, they'd have a winner.

In typical Vigo fashion I wish for it in a Cube.

OldGray320i
OldGray320i HalfDork
8/28/15 4:04 p.m.
jimbob_racing wrote: In reply to David S. Wallens: No, if Nissan built the IDx with this stuff in it, they'd have a winner.

Troof.

If they'd built the IDx, with the proper equipment (i.e. no crappy CVT) I'd have gone and traded the Focus in on it in a heartbeat.

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/28/15 4:23 p.m.

I still think they should have done it as a dune buggy. Those big round lights are crying out for smiley face covers.

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
8/28/15 4:26 p.m.

In reply to JohnRW1621:

I believe so :(

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter PowerDork
8/28/15 4:28 p.m.

The Juke looks like a bulbously obese frog.

Sorry, frogs.

Mike
Mike GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/28/15 4:55 p.m.

I think it looks great in NISMO trim. I stopped at the Nissan dealer a few hours ago, just to be a tire kicker, and I am a fan. I just hate having to choose AWD or manual. Worse, the automatic is detuned.

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed SuperDork
9/1/15 4:24 p.m.
bravenrace wrote: Sorry, I'm a form follows function kind of guy, but I can't drive something that ugly no matter what.

With 300 HP, a manual and AWD it would suddenly become a swan.

chandlerGTi
chandlerGTi UltraDork
9/1/15 4:42 p.m.

I was in Nashville last week and these things were everywhere. I think I've seen one up here. Looks like a good piece of kit, possibly good swap material down the road for us cheap folk....

Duke
Duke MegaDork
9/1/15 4:53 p.m.

...after all the ugly has been smashed out of it by a rollover accident.

irish44j
irish44j PowerDork
9/1/15 7:09 p.m.

As someone who likes turbo, likes AWD, likes manual transmissions, and (used to) like Nissans.....I have zero interest in this thing. For the same price (or less?) you can pick up a WRX that does everything the Nismo Juke does better, and has just as much interior space. And (though admittedly not "pretty") doesn't look stupid.

irish44j
irish44j PowerDork
9/1/15 7:12 p.m.

btw, the phrase "supercar of crossovers" makes about as much sense as "most utilitarian two-seat convertible" or "best subcompact car for rock crawling"

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/1/15 8:15 p.m.

I never really liked the Juke, but there has been a black Nismo Juke in the neighborhood by work for the past few months and it certainly catches my attention every time it drives past.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/1/15 8:18 p.m.

I just discovered that even the black Nismo Jukes look terrible in photos. I swear they're a little better in person.

T.J.
T.J. UltimaDork
9/1/15 8:19 p.m.

The Juke is an answer to a question nobody was asking. It must've been dreampt up by the same genius who came up with the Moron-o convertible.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
9/2/15 8:20 a.m.
David S. Wallens wrote: If Nissan could put this package into a small sedan, they'd have a winner.

Which is a 110% guarantee that they won't. It never ceases to amaze me how so many car makers have all the ingredients for the perfect enthusiast car in the pantry already, and just refuse to put them together. It's not that they can't, but that they won't. I realize it's because beancounters, but still...

SlickDizzy
SlickDizzy GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/2/15 8:30 a.m.

Well, I guess we know who Fiat is going after with the 500X Abarth.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
LlQozCUVnf52uo97ATn0GBfj85FwwLokMUXziFTcIIQIm6abPaarSSv2n6RJuXDl