1 2 3 4
mtownneon
mtownneon Reader
12/19/14 9:32 p.m.

APPENDIX B - CLASSIC AMERICAN MUSCLE (CAM)

Rationale: The purpose of CAM is to attract automobile enthusiasts who are currently interested and/or participating in Goodguys®, Ultimate Street Car Association®, or other similar events for “classic” vehicles manufactured in North America by “The Big Three” based in the US (GM, Ford, and Chrysler). These avid enthusiasts would largely be a new and different group to join us as SCCA® members and participants. Regions are encouraged to offer this program using a single CAM class or the National Solo® supplemental classes to encourage Classic American Muscle car enthusiasts to join the fun at your SCCA Solo® events!

Eligible Vehicles

•Vehicle must be either a domestic automobile of front-engine/RWD configuration or a “pick-up” truck.

•Vehicle must be licensed and insured and considered fully “street legal” (lights, wipers, etc.). Windshield and glass must be OE or equivalent except as subsequently allowed. Interior and exterior must have a “finished” look.

•Vehicle must pass the mandatory safety inspection (tech) and be in compliance with Section 3, Vehicles, of the 2015 SCCA® National Solo® Rules.

•Excluded: Chevrolet Corvette (1984-2015), Dodge/SRT Viper (all)

Body Allowances

•Body panels may be modified or replaced in the original standard locations.

•Rear seating may be removed or modified .If removed, seat bottom area must be covered; seat back area must be covered with a panel.

•Interior panels (door panels, kick panels, etc.) may be replaced and must cover any opening(s) the original panel(s) concealed. A single panel may only be replaced by another single panel.

•Dash may be modifed or replaced, but must be complete and cover the original area.

•Headliner may be replaced or removed.

•Exposed metal interior surfaces must be covered, painted, and/or coated. (No “race car” interiors, please.)

•Fuel tank/cell may be modified or replaced and must be separated from the driver/passengers as originally manufactured or by a metal panel/ bulkhead. Fuel must not vent into the driver/passenger compartment directly or indirectly.

•Front splitter, air dam, and/or spoiler may be added below the bumper, but must not extend past the perimeter of the body.

•Rear spoiler may be added, but may extend no more than 8” from the original body nor past the perimeter of the body. No rear wings may be added except OE or equivalent.

Wheel and Tire Allowances

•Any metallic wheels are allowed. Non-metallic wheels are also allowed but must be certified / approved from an appropriate, recognized standards organization (e.g., FIA, SFI, SAE, TUV, etc.).

•Any DOT-approved tires with a UTQG Treadwear Grade of 200 or higher are permitted.

Body Electrical System Allowances

•Components and wiring are unrestricted.

Brake System Allowances

•Components, lines, and hoses are unrestricted.

Suspension and Steering Allowances

•Components and method of attachment are unrestricted.

Engine and Drive Train Allowances

•Components (internal and external) are unrestricted.

Supplemental Classes, as used at SCCA® National Solo® events:

CAM-T (Traditional) (body styles originating from 1954-72)

•Examples: Camaro (-1981), Mustang (-1973), Barracuda (-1974)

•Seating originally for 4 or more adults

•Wheelbase, minimum (inches) .................................................. ................................108

•Weight, minimum (lbs.) .................................................. ............................................3000

•Interior floor covering(s) may be replaced, but not removed.

CAM-C (Contemporary) (body styles originating from 1978-on)

•Included: Pontiac GTO (2004-06), Pontiac G8 (2008-09), Chevrolet SS (2014-15)

•Seating originally for 4 or more adults

•Wheelbase, minimum (inches) .................................................. ................................100

•Weight, minimum (lbs.) .................................................. ............................................3000

•Interior floor covering(s) may be replaced, but not removed.

CAM-S (Sports) (minimum wheelbase - 90”)

•Seating originally for 2 or more adults

•Wheelbase, minimum (inches) .................................................. ...................................90

•Weight, minimum (lbs.) .................................................. ............................................2600

•Weight, minimum (lbs.) w/ Lexan® windshield .............................................2750

Note: In 2016, OE or equivalent windshields will be required in keeping with CAM philosophy of “no race cars.”

•Side windows may be replaced with Lexan® or equivalent and operating mechanism may be removed or changed.

•Interior floor covering may be removed

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/19/14 11:14 p.m.

Gawd if I had some money, I'd build a wicked 68-70 AMX for the CAM-S class.

The_Jed
The_Jed UltraDork
12/20/14 3:10 a.m.

If I had the $, I'd build this as a CAM-T monster:

chada75
chada75 New Reader
12/20/14 5:19 a.m.

Will Tube frames be allowed?

mtownneon
mtownneon Reader
12/20/14 8:29 a.m.
chada75 wrote: Will Tube frames be allowed?

Tube frames are allowed

Mr_Clutch42
Mr_Clutch42 Dork
12/20/14 12:07 p.m.

There goes the philosophy of simple rules.

I am glad to see the exclusion of the C4 and later Corvettes and the Viper since that class wasn't for those cars (and would probably be dominated by them).

Lancer007
Lancer007 Dork
12/20/14 12:29 p.m.
mtownneon wrote:
Tube frames are allowed

As long as you have a full interior in the car still.

oldsaw
oldsaw UltimaDork
12/20/14 3:08 p.m.
mtownneon wrote:
Tube frames are allowed

Tube frames aren't mentioned in the rules (as provided). How did you reach that conclusion?

mtownneon
mtownneon Reader
12/20/14 3:35 p.m.
oldsaw wrote:
mtownneon wrote:
Tube frames are allowed
Tube frames aren't mentioned in the rules (as provided). How did you reach that conclusion?

In this case the SCCA understanding that if it's not spelled out in the rules it's illegal doesn't apply because it's already been acknowledged that tube frame cars already exist in Goodguy's and USCA competition.

mtownneon
mtownneon Reader
12/20/14 3:39 p.m.
Lancer007 wrote:
mtownneon wrote:
Tube frames are allowed
As long as you have a full interior in the car still.

Not quite true. The interior must have a finished appearance. In all the classes, the back seat my be ditched, headliners are not required, and upholstery and dashes may be replaced. In T and C some form of floor covering is required but what that is open. What they don't want are bare painted floors in those classes.

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
12/20/14 4:15 p.m.

The class was designed to attract existing cars in the immensely popular Goodguys/USC type series, so that's the ain reason there isn't a ton of rules. A ground-up build to this ruleset would essentially end up being something like a 2wd version of the Ken Block Mustang, if not even more radical.

The ultimate limiting factors will be weight and tires, though. Whatever you build, you still have to weigh a healthy amount, and you still have to interface the ground through relatively narrow 200tw tires. Those factors can offset a lot of technology.

Mr_Clutch42
Mr_Clutch42 Dork
12/20/14 7:10 p.m.
JG Pasterjak wrote: The ultimate limiting factors will be weight and tires, though. Whatever you build, you still have to weigh a healthy amount, and you still have to interface the ground through relatively narrow 200tw tires. Those factors can offset a lot of technology.

I'm fairly sure the fast drivers will use at least 10" wide wheels all around, so that may not be a big factor for them. I think the Traditional division of the class will be determined by if the car is a tube frame chassis or a muscle car. It's only going to enter in its second year of existence and it seems like it's turning into a "regular" class.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
12/21/14 6:56 a.m.

no corvairs :-(

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
12/21/14 6:56 a.m.

yes that was with a LOL

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
12/21/14 3:55 p.m.

I don't think anyone would protest a Corvair. (Crown V8? even better!!)

Still scratch my at over the fact that something 2000 or newer can be run in a class called "classic".

Gimp
Gimp GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/22/14 7:39 a.m.
The_Jed wrote: If I had the $, I'd build this as a CAM-T monster:

That car is actually CP legal.

klodkrawler05
klodkrawler05 New Reader
12/22/14 7:59 a.m.

Too my mind/rationale its silly that they excluded the newish corvettes. At least 50% of the cars built to run these sort of events use c4/c5 suspension with improvements/modifications made for more performance oriented handling over the stock from the factory c4/c5's.

I've got a mind to find one of these c5z06 rollerskates:

and drop a fiberglass/carbon fiber version of this body over the top of it:

I get the intent of their rules but to me its silly to say "you can run a c5 if you want. it just has to be disguised as an old muscle car."

Bobzilla
Bobzilla PowerDork
12/22/14 8:08 a.m.

Now I really want an S-Dime with an LSx swap, truckarm rear suspension and some C4 ZR1 wheels/tires/brakes. Someone build this, then get tired of it and sell it for $3k to me.

Gearheadotaku
12/22/14 8:10 a.m.

I'm glad they pushed out the C5/C6. I'd be ok with the early C4 (L98 cars).

If you want to take the time to build the Camaro above, I'd be happy to see it in CAM.

At first I questioned the tube frame allowance, then realized it's to allow Cobra replicas and so on. Sounds reasonable to me.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
12/22/14 8:16 a.m.

This should be a fun class and should remain that way unless some idiot decides to make it a "jacket class" in which case it'll go stupid quickly.

While the TW200 rule will keep things somewhat restrained, there is no width restriction and there are some damn wide TW200 tires out there.

pushrod36
pushrod36 Reader
12/22/14 9:05 a.m.

It's interesting that one would have to add a few hundred pounds of balast to a bone stock first generation Mustang to be legal.

81cpcamaro
81cpcamaro HalfDork
12/22/14 9:54 a.m.
pushrod36 wrote: It's interesting that one would have to add a few hundred pounds of balast to a bone stock first generation Mustang to be legal.

Honestly, would you be running a bone stock Mustang in CAM against cars that are modified as much as most Pro-touring cars are? Maybe locally it would be okay, most regions don't weigh cars as they don't have the equipment. Weight would come into play at national level events, which should attract the hard core cars more.

I think the 3000 lb weight was chosen as that is a weight most muscle cars can reach.

pushrod36
pushrod36 Reader
12/22/14 10:47 a.m.
81cpcamaro wrote:
pushrod36 wrote: It's interesting that one would have to add a few hundred pounds of balast to a bone stock first generation Mustang to be legal.
Honestly, would you be running a bone stock Mustang in CAM against cars that are modified as much as most Pro-touring cars are? Maybe locally it would be okay, most regions don't weigh cars as they don't have the equipment. Weight would come into play at national level events, which should attract the hard core cars more. I think the 3000 lb weight was chosen as that is a weight most muscle cars can reach.

Admittedly, I am not very familiar with SCCA classes. That said, I understood that the intention of the CAM class was to provide a way for all of the guys with old muscle to run against eachother. If a stock example of one of the most popular (at least by production numbers) old cars is against the rules it seems like the mark may have been missed.

That said, I am happy the the class exists. I know a few people who have avoided auto-x in the past because they were intimidated about being thrown into a modified class on account of their custom fueling (edelbrock carb).

drdisque
drdisque New Reader
12/22/14 12:41 p.m.

Tubeframe cars should automatically go in CAM-S, even if they have a "sedan" body.

Gearheadotaku
12/22/14 12:48 p.m.

I doubt anyone would protest a weight issue on a stock car. It is funny though.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
e0zutcZbHq0FIU80T3s9wBNsTBo5NgTrh3Zy6xIZVBw1mS7gLHRRkqAHh7WdptVh