1 2 3 4 5 ... 7
NGTD
NGTD Dork
11/21/13 2:37 p.m.
Bobzilla wrote:
Kenny_McCormic wrote:
kanaric wrote: How much is this going to cost I want to roll some coal on a budget
Modern diesels don't smoke.
I'm sorry, have you been living under a rock? I just came back from lunch where I watched a new Cummins MegaCab "roll coal" across an intersection and choke everyone out. They most certainly can and do smoke.

Gotta be chipped!

Vigo
Vigo UberDork
11/21/13 3:06 p.m.
I'm sorry, have you been living under a rock? I just came back from lunch where I watched a new Cummins MegaCab "roll coal" across an intersection and choke everyone out. They most certainly can and do smoke.

If by "they" you mean the owners, then sure. I can make my gas cars spew black smoke too. But i dont because that is berkeleying stupid. Diesel owners didn't get the memo that said stone-age fuel control wasn't exactly cool.

Zomby Woof
Zomby Woof PowerDork
11/27/13 6:11 p.m.

GM has anounced that there will be a manual transmission available.

The General said: Chevy likely pleased many truck enthusiasts with a belated confirmation that it will offer a manual transmission, though only on the base extended-cab, two-wheel-drive WT model. GM's original press materials referred only to an automatic tranny.

http://www.autonews.com/article/20131123/OEM03/311259951/gm-considers-all-terrain-colorado#axzz2ll6CXqWQ

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic UltraDork
11/27/13 6:18 p.m.

Back to that extended cab issue.

Zomby Woof
Zomby Woof PowerDork
1/12/14 9:27 p.m.

http://media.gm.com/content/product/public/us/en/canyon/home.html

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
1/12/14 11:46 p.m.

Do we have anything on pricing?

and as with most GM products I like the GMC version better than the Chevy. That thing might just be what the misses ordered.

fasted58
fasted58 PowerDork
1/12/14 11:52 p.m.

Little Sierra looking and a Duramax 2.8L turbodiesel engine coming in 2016 model year.

well huh.

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
1/13/14 12:00 a.m.

...and about that little diesel.

Duramax 2.8L: Meet the 4-cylinder diesel coming to the Chevrolet Colorado

"The 2.8L has several new parts, namely a new water-cooled variable-geometry turbocharger, a new high-pressure common-rail fuel delivery system, a new Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) system, a new intake manifold, a new cylinder head, a new cylinder block, a new balancer shaft unit and a new Engine Control Module (ECM). "

Yeah I would say that it would be safe to say "several new parts."

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid PowerDork
1/13/14 1:49 a.m.

I like both the Colorado and the Canyon.

By what I've read, speculation is that a base Canyon should be around $20k.

My biggest beef with these trucks is that they are getting the same 3.6L V6 that's in all the passenger cars. It's rated at 305 hp and 270 ft-lbs of torque. I'd much rather they have put the LY3 4.3L V6 Ecotech3 engine. It produces 285 hp and 305 ft-lbs of torque.

Either way the V6 truck is going to be able to tow 6700 lbs. that's not bad.

Zomby Woof
Zomby Woof PowerDork
1/13/14 6:28 a.m.
Flight Service wrote: and as with most GM products I like the GMC version better than the Chevy.

I'm the opposite, and usually prefer the Chev versions, but think it would look a lot better without that chrome band on the front. Body colour looks better for a truck, IMO.

Well, that and make the gold bowtie a little bigger

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand UberDork
1/13/14 7:13 a.m.

Canyon looks pretty good. Sits up too high, but they all do that these days...

ultraclyde
ultraclyde SuperDork
1/13/14 7:17 a.m.

Okay, I'm really liking the GMC version of that. A lot. Like I'm going to be stalking the GM lots now. That might actually get me away from an F-150, and I am a die-hard Ford fan, particularly Ford trucks.

OTOH, if Ford builds a competitor.... Hey Ford guys, you listening??!!

I wonder if these will take the value hit that small trucks have traditionally taken as soon as they drive off the lot?

I can't wait to see the mileage numbers. That and pricing will probably make the decision between the full size Ford and the Canyon when I buy in a couple years. Honestly, if you can get a full size for $5k more with the same mileage, there are very few reasons not to do so.

EDIT: Found this on Expeditionportal.com

In my best Takei voice "Oh My!!"

SilverFleet
SilverFleet SuperDork
1/13/14 8:28 a.m.

That Canyon is really nice looking. What an upgrade over the old "upside down face" Colorado/Canyon trucks!

HiTempguy
HiTempguy UltraDork
1/13/14 11:32 a.m.

I think Ford wins this battle by putting the 2.7L Twin Turbo v6 in their 500+lb lighter F150.

The mpg the Colorado/Canyon sees will probably disappoint for the amount of power output (which I lol about, because North American's perception on power). The big kicker is the HUGE price discrepancy between diesel and gas right now; a truck would have to get 20% better mileage (apples to apples diesel vs gas) to just be on the same level of buying a gas truck, and that wouldn't end up having the diesel paying back for it's higher buy in. Plus it gets below -40*C here, gas vehicles are easier to live with in the winter. So I dunno. I'm not nearly as pumped about the Canyon/Colorado now... and I can get the F150 sometime late this year!

coldaudio
coldaudio New Reader
1/13/14 11:32 a.m.

Is it just me or does ground clearance look terrible on this thing? I can't imagine it being a Tacoma competitor out here in CO unless it can hang with it off road.

ultraclyde
ultraclyde SuperDork
1/13/14 12:50 p.m.

yeah, the diesel's a non-starter for me as few miles as I drive unless it's getting crazy Prius mileage. Power is less of a concern since I'm driving a 211 HP Explorer with similar tqs and have never been unhappy.

There are some situations where the smaller body works to your advantage, but admittedly not that many. My one concern with that 2.7L is towing capability. I think it may be fine as an econo choice, but if I'm going to drive around a big honkin truck, I should be able to tow a big honkin trailer. That's one of the advantages. If the truck is a little smaller and easier to deal with in traffic and parking, 6700 lbs towing is probably enough.

But the fact that I would even put a small Chevy in the running against an F-150 is pretty strange and a helluva compliment.

HiTempguy
HiTempguy UltraDork
1/13/14 1:28 p.m.
ultraclyde wrote: I think it may be fine as an econo choice, but if I'm going to drive around a big honkin truck, I should be able to tow a big honkin trailer. That's one of the advantages. If the truck is a little smaller and easier to deal with in traffic and parking, 6700 lbs towing is probably enough.

The 2.7TT isn't for you then and was never intended for you. I lol at the "probably enough", what is it that everyone thinks everyone else is towing max GVW all the time? A typical 16-20' steel trailer with a car on it is <6000lbs. That figure probably covers 95% of all truck owners. Most people will never even hook a trailer up except for the occasional Uhaul! And 300lbft of torque was more than adequate for, oh, I dunno, close to 20+ years of trucks and towing, 6000lbs is still 6000lbs, but now you have that torque available at 2000rpm and a 6-8 speed transmission.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid PowerDork
1/13/14 2:17 p.m.

I just saw this on GMCs twitter feed. Do my eyes deceive me or is that a quad cab, long bed Canyon?

ultraclyde
ultraclyde SuperDork
1/13/14 2:23 p.m.

yeah, crew cab gets you the choice of 5' or 6' bed. Extended cab is 6' only.

For reference, the CC, 6' bed is only 4" shorter wheelbase than a CC 5.5' bed F150.

Zomby Woof
Zomby Woof PowerDork
1/13/14 2:54 p.m.

As these trucks become bigger (really, these are too big for me), and more comfortable, people will start to buy them instead of full size, because they're easier to drive, and much better on fuel.

Admittedly, my Colorado drives like a truck. I'm OK with that, because I want a truck, but I bet most full size owners want a truck that drives like a luxury car. If these can do that, people will buy them.

I wonder how many years you have to go back to find a full size that are the same size as these? Not many, I bet. My Nephews 90 Chev full size is exactly the same length as my Colorado.

HiTempguy
HiTempguy UltraDork
1/13/14 3:50 p.m.
Zomby Woof wrote: I wonder how many years you have to go back to find a full size that are the same size as these? Not many, I bet. My Nephews 90 Chev full size is exactly the same length as my Colorado.

Our new company truck is a Nissan Titan. Drives "bigger" than any duramax 3/4 ton I've ever driven. The truck is WIIIIIDE for days and it's really difficult to guess where parts of the truck are.

Teh E36 M3
Teh E36 M3 Dork
1/13/14 6:22 p.m.

Just noted that manual will be on four cylinder only. Bummer. I assume that's gas 4 cylinder only, as well.

http://media.gm.com/content/product/public/us/en/canyon/power.html

nocones
nocones GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/13/14 6:44 p.m.

Well they would never make a diesel manual since that would tie up 100% of production for years with all the pent up demand for such a truck.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
1/13/14 6:51 p.m.
belteshazzar wrote: a 6' box is just as useless as I can stand. any smaller, and you lost me.

Regular chevy 2500s with a quad cab have a 6.5' box. That half a foot seems insignificant but it means two things for me:

• The quad fits without taking off the plow which is awesome
  • None of the cheap 1500 caps or covers regularly on CL fit the damn thing which is not awesome
logdog
logdog GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/13/14 6:58 p.m.
nocones wrote: Well they would never make a diesel manual since that would tie up 100% of production for years with all the pent up demand for such a truck.

1 2 3 4 5 ... 7

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
fry6bBrcJhPj55eOlS2ZWCJeSv72BBHAxjYnFayPBzKd3GZmc2DVkos5Ruo0XHvG