1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Vigo
Vigo UberDork
1/13/14 8:30 p.m.

I love how topics such as these release all the pent-up supply of comments about non-existent demand.

I'm not a huge fan of truck manuals to begin with. Some are ok but many are not great to drive.

z31maniac
z31maniac UltimaDork
1/13/14 8:56 p.m.
Zomby Woof wrote: As these trucks become bigger (really, these are too big for me), and more comfortable, people will start to buy them instead of full size, because they're easier to drive, and much better on fuel. Admittedly, my Colorado drives like a truck. I'm OK with that, because I want a truck, but I bet most full size owners want a truck that drives like a luxury car. If these can do that, people will buy them. I wonder how many years you have to go back to find a full size that are the same size as these? Not many, I bet. My Nephews 90 Chev full size is exactly the same length as my Colorado.

To be fair, if I'm dropping nearly $50k on a new luxury truck, I want it to be able to tow 10,000 lbs AND be comfortable while doing it.

I was amazed at the '13 Tundra I drove the other day; quiet, comfortable, powerful..........if I made more money I'd have no problems picking up a Tundra or 5.0 F150 as my DD/Tow rig.

Seems perfect, if for instance, you've been at the track all weekend and get to hop back in an incredibly nice, comfy vehicle that can tow anything I'm ever likely to throw at it.......and the truck won't even notice it's there.

I don't see anything wrong with expecting a lot from an expensive vehicle.

EvanR
EvanR HalfDork
1/13/14 10:41 p.m.

This crap? Why, since Chevrolet already makes a truly small pickup, that I would buy in a heartbeat. Shame I'd have to get it across the Mexican border.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/13/14 11:30 p.m.
SyntheticBlinkerFluid wrote: My biggest beef with these trucks is that they are getting the same 3.6L V6 that's in all the passenger cars. It's rated at 305 hp and 270 ft-lbs of torque. I'd much rather they have put the LY3 4.3L V6 Ecotech3 engine. It produces 285 hp and 305 ft-lbs of torque.

I agree. If there are 305 horses, they are really underfed, anemic horses. They barely can scoot a mid-sized car around.

Knurled
1/13/14 11:31 p.m.
Vigo wrote: I'm not a huge fan of truck manuals to begin with. Some are ok but many are not great to drive.

Absolute bollocks.

Like there are any that are good to drive.

fasted58
fasted58 PowerDork
1/13/14 11:32 p.m.

Auto Guide 2015 Canyon reveal video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwxdlAoIcSI

Zomby Woof
Zomby Woof PowerDork
1/13/14 11:35 p.m.
Knurled wrote:
Vigo wrote: I'm not a huge fan of truck manuals to begin with. Some are ok but many are not great to drive.
Absolute bollocks. Like there are any that are good to drive.

I've never driven an automatic pickup that didn't think would be WAY better with a manual trans.

fasted58
fasted58 PowerDork
1/13/14 11:56 p.m.

The more I see it the more I like it. I dig the interior too.

My '12 Sierra extended cab is huge compared to the old '02 Silverado which was an adequate sized PU that just lacked cab space. If the new Canyon can fit my bill of tow/ haul w/ smaller size I see no reason not to take a serious look. I'll take a few of them bells and whistles too.

Teh E36 M3
Teh E36 M3 Dork
1/14/14 9:06 a.m.
fasted58 wrote: Auto Guide 2015 Canyon reveal video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwxdlAoIcSI

Some magazine did an article about a Frontier v6 4wd manual, where they took it to the desert to have some fun. The other vehicle was a raptor (auto, obviously), and the four writers made the comment that it the frontier was more fun, largely because of the manual. Now, that is anecdotal, and I can't find the damn article, but I'd love to have a manual. Don't know if I'm a tire kicker or a buyer though. Love to see that diesel with a manual, for when I eventually come around to getting a truck.

edit: found it: http://wot.motortrend.com/our-cars-2012-nissan-frontier-when-a-raptors-hero-comes-along-239603.html

Teh E36 M3
Teh E36 M3 Dork
1/14/14 9:11 a.m.

Some magazine did an article about a Frontier v6 4wd manual, where they took it to the desert to have some fun. The other vehicle was a raptor (auto, obviously), and the four writers made the comment that it the frontier was more fun, largely because of the manual. Now, that is anecdotal, and I can't find the damn article, but I'd love to have a manual. Don't know if I'm a tire kicker or a buyer though. Love to see that diesel with a manual, for when I eventually come around to getting a truck.

edit: found it: http://wot.motortrend.com/our-cars-2012-nissan-frontier-when-a-raptors-hero-comes-along-239603.html

Zomby Woof
Zomby Woof PowerDork
1/14/14 9:21 a.m.
z31maniac wrote: To be fair, if I'm dropping nearly $50k on a new luxury truck, I want it to be able to tow 10,000 lbs AND be comfortable while doing it. I was amazed at the '13 Tundra I drove the other day; quiet, comfortable, powerful..........if I made more money I'd have no problems picking up a Tundra or 5.0 F150 as my DD/Tow rig. Seems perfect, if for instance, you've been at the track all weekend and get to hop back in an incredibly nice, comfy vehicle that can tow anything I'm ever likely to throw at it.......and the truck won't even notice it's there. I don't see anything wrong with expecting a lot from an expensive vehicle.

There's nothing wrong with that, but I think most people that buy full sized trucks now actually want luxury vehicles, and will never tow anywhere near that, if at all. I think that's what these trucks are targeting.

I predict that roughly 100% of the people that say they want a diesel won't buy one, and it will be a sales disaster.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid PowerDork
1/14/14 9:31 a.m.

Maybe by the time the diesel is available, I will be able to afford a new truck. However, my issue is that there is going to be a $3k to $5k premium for the diesel version. That would make me want to buy the most stripped out version I could get, but I have a feeling that it will still be closer to the $32k to $35k price range.

Teh E36 M3
Teh E36 M3 Dork
1/14/14 9:37 a.m.

That's my fear as well. I've been asking for a 3-4 liter diesel that gets mid-20's for a while, and now that it looks like we'll get them, I'm afraid the midsize truck is going to cost $35k. Not even sure if dealers are going to go nuts with markups as well, either.

Knurled
1/14/14 1:04 p.m.

I'd be shocked if you could get any diesel pickup for under $40k.

ultraclyde
ultraclyde SuperDork
1/14/14 1:28 p.m.

FWIW I read that the expected diesel mark up was only about $2500 - at least until the dealers get hold of it. Still, I'd be surprised to see the top trims and diesels south of $33k list. And for that money, buy a well-optioned full size. I think GM got this truck right on build and spec for the most part, but I just don't see a scenario where they don't screw the pooch on pricing. I don't think you can sell a vehicle that nice these days for $25k list.

Bed length is a hard issue for me. My biggest requirement is that my mountain bike fit in the bed with the front wheel removed and the tailgate up. The 5.5' bed on the full size Crews gets that, but the 5' short bed on this doesn't. The heartbreak is that if you go to the 6' bed on this truck, you are within 4" length wise of the full size crew. And I like the look of the 5' bed much more on the small truck.

These aren't targeted to replace real, working full size trucks. They're targeted at people like me that have toys to haul around once in a while. You won't see these clogging up construction sites any time soon.

Teh E36 M3
Teh E36 M3 Dork
1/14/14 3:45 p.m.

Agree on all accounts. I'd like a larger bed, but they look sorta stupid on the midsize trucks. Funny that the dakota quad cabs of 2000-2004 had a 5'3" bed, and looked pretty proportional.

Zomby Woof
Zomby Woof PowerDork
1/14/14 6:20 p.m.
EvanR wrote: This crap? Why, since Chevrolet already makes a truly small pickup, that I would buy in a heartbeat. Shame I'd have to get it across the Mexican border.

Somebody posted a pic of one of these on the Colorado/Canyon forum about a year ago. You wouldn't believe the hate.

When I travel, I see those all over the place, and I'd definitely drive one.

Zomby Woof
Zomby Woof PowerDork
1/23/14 3:13 p.m.

More propaganda about the new colorado/canyon

http://youtu.be/wSc8vx5vcQk

fasted58
fasted58 PowerDork
1/23/14 3:27 p.m.
Zomby Woof wrote: More propaganda about the new colorado/canyon http://youtu.be/wSc8vx5vcQk

Me likey.

I've owned full sized trucks since '73 and currently a '12 Sierra extended cab. Was gonna take a serious look at the '14-'15 Sierra's but the '15 Canyon may trump that.

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic UltraDork
1/23/14 4:31 p.m.
Zomby Woof wrote: As these trucks become bigger (really, these are too big for me), and more comfortable, people will start to buy them instead of full size, because they're easier to drive, and much better on fuel. I wonder how many years you have to go back to find a full size that are the same size as these? Not many, I bet. My Nephews 90 Chev full size is exactly the same length as my Colorado.

I actually compared it to the 94 K1500 W/T (options: AC, auto) I learned to drive in, same size and weight roughly. The 94 is a better truck IMHO, the old toilet bowl injection 4.3 was slow, but it made peak torque of 235 ft/lb at 2000 rpm and more or less held it to 4k or so. That's way more truck engine performance than the new canyon base motor makes, and probably better for truck stuff than the 3.6. It also had a 8ft box. The only thing this "midsize" truck has on a 20yr old full size is fuel efficiency, which is a given when your talking about direct injection and 6 speed gearboxes.

I also hate the ride height of these newer trucks, they're all sitting way higher than they need to, great for visibility of whatever is about 20 feet in front of you(not), or actually putting things in the back of it.

I've started to notice this in a lot of the auto industry, check out a new corolla vs a 14 year old corolla, its not any faster, efficient, etc, just a little bigger and has more bombs in it.

HiTempguy
HiTempguy UltraDork
1/23/14 4:34 p.m.

I dunno about youse guys, but diesel is 30C/litre more expensive than regular here. A diesel pickup would never pay for itself at these prices :o

kevlarcorolla
kevlarcorolla HalfDork
1/23/14 5:12 p.m.
HiTempguy wrote: I dunno about youse guys, but diesel is 30C/litre more expensive than regular here. A diesel pickup would never pay for itself at these prices :o

Exactly,plus if its as a big a turd for reliability as the duramax than they sure got a winner on their hands.

Zomby Woof
Zomby Woof PowerDork
1/23/14 5:19 p.m.
kevlarcorolla wrote: Exactly,plus if its as a big a turd for reliability as the duramax than they sure got a winner on their hands.

I had heard that about the duramax diesels, so I asked some people I know that work on them everyday. They told me there's nothing wrong with a Duramax. The problem is, people tune them, make big power, then blow them up. Leave the stock, or mild tune and they're very good. The real turkey, they said, is the Ford Diesel.

I actually compared it to the 94 K1500 W/T (options: AC, auto) I learned to drive in, same size and weight roughly. The 94 is a better truck IMHO

How long have you been driving the new Canyon? Just based on the fact that it's new and modern, I would be surprised if it didn't completely blow away a full size 1500 from the nineties.

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic UltraDork
1/23/14 6:08 p.m.

I'm sure it has softer seats, dicksuckers, 12 speakers, optional waffle iron, 12" nav screen, 300lbs of sound deadening, 16 safety bombs, and the headliner isn't a piece of cardboard wrapped in vinyl(helps when your going too fast through a field and hit your head on the ceiling). If I'm doing actual truck stuff however, none of this matters, all I want is instant, drama free torque and a cargo floor as low as possible, meatlocker AC and something that receives FM stations is a plus.

Yes I know, nobody buys trucks for this sort of thing anymore, but this is the internet, I'm allowed to bitch.

Can I even buy it with a rubber floor and a plain cloth bench seat? 75 profile tires?

NGTD
NGTD SuperDork
1/23/14 6:16 p.m.

In reply to Kenny_McCormic:

Well I have seen a brand-new Sierra with a "carpet-delete" option that gets you a rubber floor, so maybe in the Canyon too.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
rXCM0L4ZHEhHWP8Hb3tzXGMS9nUWTxb6vgEKfITWuedAccW1Jnvw5Vf7S3VjQhcn