1 ... 4 5 6 7
Grizz
Grizz UltraDork
8/31/14 11:00 a.m.

In reply to Fueled by Caffeine:

No, he's saying the Cummins engine will be in a fiat with cummins badges, since the meatballs bought Dodge.

And with a towing capacity of 9200 pounds and supposedly high 20s in mpg, I foresee a lot of guys buying one of the new half ton dodges with a v6 instead of the big boy. I know I would.

Now on to the actual meat of the thread.

My cousin has an 07 base model that he uses as a work truck, or did until he bought the transit. It's great, the 2.9 is a damn good motor and it's done everything we've asked it to do. The only thing I would have changed is I would have told him to get the extended cab so we had somewhere to put the tools.

The best thing about the truck though, was that it was actually a small truck. This thing is berkeleying huge.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/31/14 11:20 a.m.

We have a customer with a Colorado. $2100 to do front brakes. (The front hubs are about half of that, and the ABS tone rings tend to fall off, and you have to remove them because of the weird Japanese-American fusion of captivated rotors on unitized hub/bearings.)

Actually, every repair on a Colorado is flippin' expensive. That's because Japanese trucks are not built with longevity or maintenance in mind. Everythings rusts like it is stored in saltwater, everything is a PITA to access, lots of bolt-on subassemblies that won't come apart...

Zomby Woof
Zomby Woof PowerDork
8/31/14 3:55 p.m.

Your customer got seriously ripped off. Although I've driven a Colorado since 2006, I've never done brakes. I sold my 06 with 250k and original brakes.

You don't sound biased at all.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid wrote: I have been throwing around the idea of a Pickup and I really like the new Silverados, but I can't justify a full size truck. I will have to see how big the quad cabs are.

This is a full size truck. They just call it a mid size because the old full size trucks have become extra full size.

fasted58
fasted58 PowerDork
8/31/14 4:17 p.m.
Zomby Woof wrote: This is a full size truck. They just call it a mid size because the old full size trucks have become extra full size.

Bingo!!

I came from a slew of standard cab 70's-90's 4X4 F-150s and a few Chevys, the latest at trade-in time a '02 Silverado. The '12 4X4 Sierra ext. cab makes 'em look like dwarfs.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/31/14 4:50 p.m.
Zomby Woof wrote: Your customer got seriously ripped off. Although I've driven a Colorado since 2006, I've never done brakes. I sold my 06 with 250k and original brakes.

Rotors are balls of rust, calipers are siezed, and the hubs need to be replaced. SOP every couple of years up here, you end up having to change everything between the flex hose and the wheel.

And people why I prefer having drum brakes on at least one end of a car. They are practically maintenance free because they aren't exposed to the elements.

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic PowerDork
8/31/14 5:40 p.m.
Kenny_McCormic wrote: In reply to Vigo: Precisely, everybody says, "oh I'd buy (insert utility vehicle here) if it had a small diesel and a stick!" Well, I've driven one, a German market Ford Transit 6 speed turbo diesel, not fun, very narrow powerband, extremely grabby clutch. I actually managed to stall the thing hard the first time I tried to make it move. It was harder to drive than my Yugo with a messed up vacuum advance circuit(no power out of the hole). The only thing I could think was how much better utilized the engine could have been with a computer in control of the gearing.

Update, got to ride in the same van, but US market in 1 ton trim with the auto, way better, got out of its own way quite well.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid PowerDork
8/31/14 6:54 p.m.
fasted58 wrote:
Zomby Woof wrote: This is a full size truck. They just call it a mid size because the old full size trucks have become extra full size.
Bingo!! I came from a slew of standard cab 70's-90's 4X4 F-150s and a few Chevys, the latest at trade-in time a '02 Silverado. The '12 4X4 Sierra ext. cab makes 'em look like dwarfs.

Well I guess that makes sense, but isn't that the case for everything nowadays? The new model is always larger than the outgoing model in most cases.

I still like them. I am waiting to hear the reviews on the diesel when that comes to market.

Iusedtobefast
Iusedtobefast Reader
8/31/14 8:40 p.m.

You got that right, junk design is what the fronts are. I heard it was real expensive and did mine myself. I do brakes all the time but what a pain, hubs didn't want to come out of holders and don't screw up the abs ring and wire. Had a pry bar and a BFH to press the rotor/hub assembly off just to unbolt the rotor. I don't care what size the truck is, it's not a one ton, over engineering is what it is. Took me 6 hours to change those things. NOW, you can take it to a shop and have the rotors turned while they are on the truck, damn, I need one of those tools.

f6sk
f6sk Reader
8/31/14 8:43 p.m.

Bring back the isuzu pup and the Chevy luv. The world needs a small truck that can get 30 mpg. All of the "small" trucks today are larger than the full size trucks of the 60s.

I'm just waiting for the day when Kia and Hyundai build a small truck and the domestic auto makers finaly wake up.

What about a new ford courier with a 3cyl turbo?

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic PowerDork
8/31/14 8:53 p.m.

In reply to f6sk:

Most all of the automakers have a utility El Camino type vehicle based on one of their compact class FWD cars, none of them choose to market them here for various reasons, primarily demand.

People these days primarily buy trucks because you can't buy a proper full size car anymore. Look at early a early 90s Chevy vs a early 2000s Chevy for proof, the later truck drives like the discontinued caprice.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
9/3/14 6:01 p.m.

The EPA fuel economy numbers just came out as well as the configurator

18/21/26 for V6 2WD

17/20/24 for V6 4WD

Not Bad.

http://www.autoblog.com/2014/09/03/chevy-colorado-configurator-fuel-economy/

kreb
kreb GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/3/14 7:27 p.m.

The Colorado sounds very interesting on paper. I just have to go on record that I HATE, HATE, HATE unnecesarily high hoodlines in an attempt to make a truck seem more macho. This one looks like the insecure little brother of the Silverado wearing a fake muscle suit under his outerwear.

HiTempguy
HiTempguy UberDork
9/3/14 8:08 p.m.
SyntheticBlinkerFluid wrote: The EPA fuel economy numbers just came out as well as the configurator 18/21/26 for V6 2WD 17/20/24 for V6 4WD Not Bad. http://www.autoblog.com/2014/09/03/chevy-colorado-configurator-fuel-economy/

Isn't that worse than the ram?

Apparently not, 1usmpg better city and highway. Verreh nice! Of course, everyone has said the pentastar 3.6L v6 combined with the 8 speed auto is a gillion times better than the 4.3lecotec 3 and 6 speed in the full sizes, and this only has the car 3.6L v6, so I'd probably still rather have teh ram.

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic PowerDork
9/4/14 6:50 a.m.

In reply to kreb:

Yeah, having a thousand yard blind spot in front of a vehicle because dicks really does bother me too.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
9/4/14 6:59 a.m.

In reply to HiTempguy:

Well I played around with the configurator last night. I built essentially the same model for both the Colorado and Silverado, which was a Crew Cab Shor Bed 4x4 Z71. Most of the optional stuff on the Silverado is standard on the Colorado. By the time I got done with packages (towing, convenience group, etc), the Colorado was at $35k and the Silverado was at $44k. That's a huge difference. It would have been about $1200 less if I had chosen the V6 for the Silverado.

Zomby Woof
Zomby Woof PowerDork
9/4/14 9:32 a.m.
DETROIT -- Chevrolet dealers requested nearly 30,000 Colorado pickups in the month since General Motors began taking orders for the mid-sized truck -- about five times more than the company had forecast. "The dealers' enthusiasm for the Colorado is off the charts," Chevrolet U.S. chief Brian Sweeney told Automotive News Tuesday. GM began taking orders in early August for the 2015 Colorado and its sibling, the GMC Canyon. The pickups, which went into production this week at GM's assembly plant in Wentzville, Mo., are expected to reach showrooms in October or early November. GM said today that its dealers ordered about 28,000 Colorado pickups and 14,000 Canyons.

http://www.autonews.com/article/20140902/RETAIL01/140909978

ultraclyde
ultraclyde SuperDork
9/4/14 10:53 a.m.

I'm definitely looking forward to inspecting one in person, but the mpgs are a little disappointing. The difference in MSRP over the Sierra is a good thing - but full size trucks never sell at list. They're always available at deep discounts somewhere. They'll either have to throw down some serious discounts on the small trucks (please) or stop discounting the big dogs to drive business into the new models (more likely, more money.)

So Ford... where's our Ranger already? You got's the ecoboost and the aluminum skills to seriously bitch slap the little GM truck on mileage, why hasn't thou? Waiting for GM to test the market?

fasted58
fasted58 PowerDork
9/4/14 11:33 a.m.

Was gonna see what kind of deal I could get on a '14 Sierra w/ my '12 trade-in.

Think I'm gonna wait.

Actually like the Colorado appearance over the Canyon but we'll see up close.

EvanR
EvanR Dork
9/4/14 11:34 a.m.

I just played with the configurator. Across the board, the pricing is just about a dollar-for-dollar match with both Nissan and Toyota.

Until there's cash on the hood. Which, knowing GM, ought to be fairly soon.

Still, even though GM has some HP advantages, and the Nissan & Toyota are really old designs, if I was playing this game with my own money, GM would fall to the bottom of the list.

Grizz
Grizz UltraDork
9/4/14 1:06 p.m.
ultraclyde wrote: So Ford... where's our Ranger already? You got's the ecoboost and the aluminum skills to seriously bitch slap the little GM truck on mileage, why hasn't thou? Waiting for GM to test the market?

And Dodge as well. Same v6/8speed that's in the ram would be great in a lighter truck.

HiTempguy
HiTempguy UberDork
9/4/14 1:25 p.m.
SyntheticBlinkerFluid wrote: In reply to HiTempguy: Well I played around with the configurator last night. I built essentially the same model for both the Colorado and Silverado, which was a Crew Cab Shor Bed 4x4 Z71. Most of the optional stuff on the Silverado is standard on the Colorado. By the time I got done with packages (towing, convenience group, etc), the Colorado was at $35k and the Silverado was at $44k. That's a huge difference. It would have been about $1200 less if I had chosen the V6 for the Silverado.

Building to base model specs with the barebones for options (towing packages etc), the colorado crew cab long box 4x4 came out at ~$32k. The double cab, long box 4x4 1/2 ton with the 4.3L came out to $33.5k after discounts. Strictly looking at this in a "use as a truck" sense.

At the end of the day, I'd go with the fullsize. The mpg differences are the same city, 2mpg less on the highway, but you get a much more powerful motor.

I await to see final pricing on the diesel model. Considering you can't get the 1/2 ton dodge in Canada with the diesel for under $40k cdn, I'd jump on a base model crewcab long box 4x4 colorado with the duramax for ~$30k.

Zomby Woof
Zomby Woof PowerDork
9/4/14 1:37 p.m.

In reply to HiTempguy:

All that is theory. In practice, all the numbers will be different.

singleslammer
singleslammer SuperDork
9/4/14 1:53 p.m.

Anyone heard MPGs on the 4 cylinder model?

HiTempguy
HiTempguy UberDork
9/4/14 5:52 p.m.
Zomby Woof wrote: In reply to HiTempguy: All that is theory. In practice, all the numbers will be different.

Oh absolutely. Like I said, I hope I can get a stripped, 4x4 colorado/canyon with the duramax for $30k cdn. I would walk into a stealership today and sign my life away. Even maybe $35k. I don't see the mileage of trucks drastically increasing in the next decade after the current milestones, especially while towing (ek = 1/2mv^2 afterall). I think diesels will always reign supreme for low end torque/towing/overall mpg.

jstand
jstand Reader
9/5/14 1:19 p.m.

Not sure if this has been posted, but in case it hasn't: Duramax 2.8l

1 ... 4 5 6 7

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
votGAj3BKGXJpRBkTP8YylXEcEne4UjL4TkTYKjMO7xFdbZIqPIPe8nNn97af6h7