Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
9/23/16 1:26 p.m.
feature_image

We recently got a chance to spend some time with the BMW X1 xDrive28i. This is the newest, smallest and least expensive of BMW‘s Sports Activity line of vehicles.

Read the rest of the story

GTwannaB
GTwannaB GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
9/23/16 9:22 p.m.

So these are popping up all over my town and I think they are just perfectly proportioned hatches masquerading as little SUVs. I think this would work perfectly for a daily in a crowded city but I also cannot stop but see a AWD Mini with really expensive body control module issues.

Shaun
Shaun HalfDork
9/23/16 10:26 p.m.

My wife and I thought we wanted a Mini until we sat in one and looked (briefly) at the goofball interior. Too bad the seats in this car are not as good as they look in the photo of this great looking interior. The Mini brand has pretty much jumped the shark anyway, BMW may as well just head downmarket and squish Mini back into being Mini.

bluej
bluej GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
9/23/16 11:57 p.m.

The lack of a tow rating killed it for us, otherwise we'd have one in the garage most likely. We ended up with a Linc MKC that we're very happy with, instead.

JtspellS
JtspellS SuperDork
9/24/16 12:05 a.m.

Will say this, when I was still at the dealership we had one come in from auction and yours truly ended up getting it for inspection, whilst it is not a good looker I can say that it while in sport mode can and will beat up on a WRX in a straight line time and time again and truly make said WRX owner all sorts of confused.

Did like it for what it was, a wonderful DD for SWMBO.

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
10/4/16 12:18 p.m.

What I find interesting is how similar in size they are to my gen 1 X3.

That was a very under-rated vehicle.

Get the non-s 3.0i with the six speed and you really had something.

wheel track (width counts mirrors and is practically useless unless you are measuring for a garage) X3-5' X1-5'1"

Ground clearance x3-8" X1-7.2"

Wheelbase X3-110" X1-105"

Length X3-180" X1-175"

Interior dimensions almost same

Weight X3-4012 X1-3660 (this is x3 six speed manual vs x1 8 speed auto)

lb/hp X3-15.43 X1-16.05

Here's the difference

Torque X3-225 ft-lbs. @ 2750 rpm X1-258 ft-lbs. @ 1250 rpm

Depending on how tune friendly that gearbox is, this might be something else all together.

Vigo
Vigo PowerDork
10/6/16 4:44 p.m.

Ive seen X1s in person and find them pretty nice looking. I think it's a good move. I also agree that it seems preferable to have a BMW like the X1 in this size bracket and make MINIs mini again.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
tyrKqFq4X8fp5BiR6WbVHZ9VZ25aXnnQ5zjU7E3VMIecp4IcttPfILTQsRs5s9EK