1 2
Ed Higginbotham
Ed Higginbotham Editorial Assistant
3/18/16 1:55 p.m.
feature_image

The Jeep Wrangler has amassed one of the most faithful followings of any road-going vehicle out there. For one week we were treated to Jeep waves and bending necks as we paraded a bright blue Wrangler Rubicon through Florida. And this wasn't just any Rubicon. This thing came with almost all the possible options, including the "Hard Rock" package for …

Read the rest of the story

Klayfish
Klayfish UberDork
3/18/16 2:34 p.m.

We just went to the Atlanta auto show last weekend. Luckily for me, my wife likes cars quite a bit. After walking around all the show, when I asked her what car of all of them she would want, her answer was Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon. Not the CTS-V (which she loves) or a BMW or anything else, but the Jeep. When I looked at the window sticker, I heard my wallet scream in pain.

But if money were there, heck yeah I want one too.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce PowerDork
3/18/16 2:48 p.m.

With how much they cost, these must be a cash cow for FCA.

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
3/18/16 3:26 p.m.

^^^ I was also taken aback by the $47K list price. Then I started to think about it....... and the price started to make more sense. It seems nearly all SUVs these days are $40-$50K. Now I know that isn't true, but most of the models we get around the office are in that price segment.

None of them have the versatility or ability of the Jeep. The only other vehicles that can even hold a candle to this Jeep's abilities would be a Range Rover (much more expensive), or a Toyota FJ ( if they are still making them). While the Range Rover is nicer inside, it also has a fixed roof, doors that can't come off, and a tiny aftermarket. The FJ's are cool, but have horrid visibility, and also a fixed roof, and doors. They also suck gas like pigs, where this Jeep averaged 19mpg under my foot.

Keep in mind the Rubicon Unlimited starts at about $36K---- which actually sounds pretty reasonable. In that price range nothing can touch it's versatility, and no truck is more fun.

Sorry if I sound like a rabid fanboie------ I spent last weekend in that beast, and I really was smitten.

irish44j
irish44j UltimaDork
3/18/16 4:18 p.m.
Joe Gearin wrote: ^^^ I was also taken aback by the $47K list price. Then I started to think about it....... and the price started to make more sense. It seems nearly all SUVs these days are $40-$50K. Now I know that isn't true, but most of the models we get around the office are in that price segment. None of them have the versatility or ability of the Jeep. The only other vehicles that can even hold a candle to this Jeep's abilities would be a Range Rover (much more expensive), or a Toyota FJ ( if they are still making them). While the Range Rover is nicer inside, it also has a fixed roof, doors that can't come off, and a tiny aftermarket. The FJ's are cool, but have horrid visibility, and also a fixed roof, and doors. They also suck gas like pigs, where this Jeep averaged 19mpg under my foot. Keep in mind the Rubicon Unlimited starts at about $36K---- which actually sounds pretty reasonable. In that price range nothing can touch it's versatility, and no truck is more fun. Sorry if I sound like a rabid fanboie------ I spent last weekend in that beast, and I really was smitten.

IDK, as a former Wrangler and XJ owner, I admittedly like Jeeps. But I would hardly call them the most versatile vehicles out there really. No question they can rock-crawl better than most everything (but 99.9% of them will never do that, and the Unlimited's long wheelbase hurts it in tight wheeling.....most off-road Jeepers run regular-length wranglers), And you can remove the top and doors for open-air, which of course pretty much nothing else offers. Otherwise.....not good tow vehicles considering their large size (3,500 lb max tow capacity is about what most minivans are rated for).....really not all that much cargo carrying capability vs. many other SUVs (though the Unlimited has more than a regular Wrangler)....lousy street ride and handling.....and (IMO) from a pure driving standpoint they are far from being "fun" to drive on pavement.

For 99% of off-roading most SUVs ever see (i.e. trail running), a 4Runner or Grand Cherokee is pretty much as good or better than a Wrangler, with far superior road manners, handling, interior quality, and strong aftermarket as well.

Jeeps are awesome (the best) for a few specific roles, and the only choice out there for open-air wheeling - but are far from being the most versatile SUV-type vehicles out there. I don't think even Jeep markets them as being particularly versatile.

Me and all my friends used to have Jeeps because they were tough and cheap, and those two factors made their serious shortfalls in other categories a wash at the time. At $47k though, you can get SUVs that are far nicer and more versatile in most areas than the Wrangler, IMO. YMMV.

Klayfish
Klayfish UberDork
3/18/16 4:53 p.m.

I don't doubt that they're worth the money, it just still is mind blowing that they have gotten that expensive.

stanger_missle
stanger_missle GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/18/16 4:55 p.m.

As a current JK owner, I agree with all the points above. I bought a 2012 2 door Wrangler brand new in October 2012. I paid just over $23k out the door. I wanted a 6 speed but the 5 speed auto is worlds better than the old 4 speed. My 2 door is only rated to tow 2k lbs, which really limits it's utility. It's been loads of fun but I were to do it again, I'd spring for the 4 door with the max tow package. The 4 doors are much easier to live with.

With the Pentastar and 6 speed, I used to get 21mpg if I kept it below 75mph. Now, with the 33s, I'm lucky if I see 19mpg. A regear is in the very near future.

BUT... I think I'd buy something like a FiST and then buy an XJ or 4 Runner or something to run around the woods in.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce PowerDork
3/18/16 5:00 p.m.

A Wrangler unlimited sport starts at $28k. The current pricing model seems to be sell the lowest spec model close to cost and make money on options. With $20k in options, that's a pretty solid way to do business.

chiodos
chiodos Dork
3/18/16 5:09 p.m.

Seems to me this is how it goes, buy a new jeep for your daughter or kid to drive to college in, if you want to wheel buy an older wrangler or better yet a Cherokee.

Oh no, having owned 3xjs and a zj doesnt make me biased at all haha

airwerks
airwerks Reader
3/18/16 11:48 p.m.
Klayfish wrote: I don't doubt that they're worth the money, it just still is mind blowing that they have gotten that expansive.

FTFY

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
3/19/16 12:22 a.m.

Is it mall rated?

chiodos
chiodos Dork
3/19/16 12:49 a.m.

In reply to Appleseed:

Ohhh i wish i had a stack of those stickers to slap on jeeps i see around here.

rslifkin
rslifkin Reader
3/19/16 8:24 a.m.

At this point, the 4dr JK Wrangler is the closest replacement they've got for the XJ, ZJ and WJ Cherokee and Grand Cherokees. It's better on the road than any other Wrangler, fairly comfortable, still has solid axles at both ends, etc.

Only real downside of the 4dr JK is that the thing is huge. The wheelbase is 10" longer than a ZJ/WJ, which can make fitting it in some places a little tough.

As far as the price premium for the Rubicon, if you're not planning on building it beyond what the stock axles are good for, it's worth the extra money for an off-roader. By the time you buy a cheaper one, swap in the 4:1 t-case, re-gear the axles and add lockers, you've sucked up a lot of that price difference.

iceracer
iceracer PowerDork
3/19/16 9:43 a.m.

I can remember when CJ 5's sold for a dollar a pound.

Seems like they still do, plus you get more toys.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
3/19/16 9:45 a.m.
Appleseed wrote: Is it mall rated?

I took it to Cracker Barrel and survived. Close enough?

92dxman
92dxman SuperDork
3/19/16 10:46 a.m.

Don't ask why but I actually rode in the back cargo area of a Wrangler Unlimited and it actually wasn't bad (for how short the ride was).

mazdeuce
mazdeuce PowerDork
3/19/16 11:57 a.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens:

I don't think you can call it a Cracker Crawler in your part of the world.

Wall-e
Wall-e GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/19/16 1:44 p.m.

I was impressed until I remembered I drove a Fiat on the beach down there too. I'd still love to have another Jeep though.

Cotton
Cotton UberDork
3/19/16 4:32 p.m.

My wife could have just about any new vehicle she wants within reason and she DDs a two door wrangler arctic edition. I asked her what she wants for her next new vehicle and her response was 'another wrangler'....she loves them.

octavious
octavious HalfDork
3/19/16 7:59 p.m.

Cotton, is the artic edition a manual? If so can I have it when she upgrades?

On days I don't ride a motorbike, I DD a 02 Jeep Wrangler, I love the ride, the manual windows and door locks, an actual transmission with a clunky shifter, etc. Is it perfect? No. Is it perfect for me and bring a smile to my face? Yes.

And that in the end is all that matters. Drive what makes you smile. Not what is "practical" or what the neighbors think. Drive for you, not anyone else.

Wall-e
Wall-e GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/20/16 2:24 p.m.
octavious wrote: ... Is it perfect for me and bring a smile to my face? Yes. And that in the end is all that matters? Drive what makes you smile? Not what is "practical" or what the neighbors think. Drive for you, not anyone else.

More people should take your advise.

sesto elemento
sesto elemento Dork
3/20/16 7:41 p.m.

$47k builds me one Hell of an fj40, just sayin.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
3/20/16 8:01 p.m.

After you spend a small fortune acquiring one.

The Rubicon offers an incredible value if you keep the options low. You might do more for less on your own, but that don't come with a warrenty.

Cotton
Cotton UberDork
3/20/16 8:21 p.m.
sesto elemento wrote: $47k builds me one Hell of an fj40, just sayin.

We have a 72 fj40 along with the wrangler. Ours is pretty nice and I have a hard time imagining the amount of time and money it would take to make it half as good as the JK.

rslifkin
rslifkin Reader
3/20/16 9:09 p.m.
Cotton wrote:
sesto elemento wrote: $47k builds me one Hell of an fj40, just sayin.
We have a 72 fj40 along with the wrangler. Ours is pretty nice and I have a hard time imagining the amount of time and money it would take to make it half as good as the JK.

That's a good point. Even compared to past Wranglers, the JK is VERY capable out of the factory. A Rubicon leaves the dealer with 32" MTs, 4.10s in the axles, lockers at both ends, front sway bar disconnects and a 4:1 t-case. It'll fit 33s with no lift, and getting 35s under one doesn't need much lift (2" or so is usually good).

Pretty much no other offroad vehicle will have that amount of clearance, etc. without a good bit of work and $$$ put into it.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
sqfUNLVxseOlZeDam6FwdqNkK8B2RwaWW8waqc80EXEA4NYaafBuqm8mYwxdXkek