1 2 3
David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
6/1/15 2:04 a.m.

When Mazda took the wraps off the forthcoming MX-5 early last September, the enthusiast world breathed a sigh of relief: They didn’t screw it up. Last week we drove the new car, and we can reiterate that statement: Mazda definitely didn’t screw it up.

In creating the ND-chassis MX-5, Mazda has managed to reincarnate the original Miata. All of the …

Read the rest of the story

Sultan
Sultan Dork
6/1/15 7:03 a.m.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce PowerDork
6/1/15 7:08 a.m.

Any word from Mazda on the availibilty of a factory hard top for the car at the time of launch? I kind of want one, but not having a hard top to snap on limits where I can play.

DaveEstey
DaveEstey PowerDork
6/1/15 7:13 a.m.

Time for a drag race of all generations

David S. Wallens
6/1/15 7:19 a.m.
mazdeuce wrote: Any word from Mazda on the availibilty of a factory hard top for the car at the time of launch? I kind of want one, but not having a hard top to snap on limits where I can play.

I haven't heard anything on a hardtop but I can ask.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce PowerDork
6/1/15 7:27 a.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens:

I would appreciate it. This is a Miata my wife might finally agree to. Availability of a hardtop could be the final piece of the puzzle.

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/1/15 8:02 a.m.

Sounds even better then Duran Duran!

David S. Wallens
6/1/15 8:17 a.m.

Duran Duran was pretty cool. This trip was more cool, though. Plus, of course, there was a stop at a used record and book store.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/1/15 8:23 a.m.

Sounds like Mazda has nailed it. Good for them!!! So many manufactures screw up cars in the name of progress.

CrashDummy
CrashDummy Reader
6/1/15 8:25 a.m.

What's the RPM in 6th gear at 75mph? I love my NA track/autocross Miata but the high RPMs on the highway really annoy me. It would be a fine highway cruiser if it just had a taller top gear.

captdownshift
6/1/15 8:26 a.m.

I for one welcome the idea of a second generation Elise versus a ND comparison feature

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
6/1/15 8:36 a.m.
CrashDummy wrote: What's the RPM in 6th gear at 75mph? I love my NA track/autocross Miata but the high RPMs on the highway really annoy me. It would be a fine highway cruiser if it just had a taller top gear.

3050 for the factory 16" package, slightly less for the factory 17" package. I'd be surprised if Mazda calibrates the speedo differently.

z31maniac
z31maniac UltimaDork
6/1/15 8:40 a.m.
Swank Force One wrote:
CrashDummy wrote: What's the RPM in 6th gear at 75mph? I love my NA track/autocross Miata but the high RPMs on the highway really annoy me. It would be a fine highway cruiser if it just had a taller top gear.
3050 for the factory 16" package, slightly less for the factory 17" package. I'd be surprised if Mazda calibrates the speedo differently.

Are the 17s lower in profile so they end up with essentially the same OD? If so, there would be no point.

Then again, I believe I've read many newer cars just read the ABS sensors to determine MPH.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
6/1/15 8:41 a.m.
z31maniac wrote:
Swank Force One wrote:
Are the 17s lower in profile so they end up with essentially the same OD? If so, there would be no point. Then again, I believe I've read many newer cars just read the ABS sensors to determine MPH.

17" package is a larger diameter overall by a little bit. 3050 with the 17" package gives 77mph.

195/50-16s vs 205/45-17.

You're probably right on the ABS sensor thing. Myself, i just get confused by anything that doesn't have a speedo gear/cable.

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke Dork
6/1/15 9:02 a.m.

I like what I'm reading thus far..

Rupert
Rupert Dork
6/1/15 9:18 a.m.
Swank Force One wrote:
z31maniac wrote:
Swank Force One wrote:
You're probably right on the ABS sensor thing. Myself, i just get confused by anything that doesn't have a speedo gear/cable.

Swank, get used to it. As the gray hair piles up, or worse falls out, it just gets worse!

Since the oldest car I currently own is an '02. I'm still trying to figure where to hook my Halda Twinmaster up.

Rupert
Rupert Dork
6/1/15 9:30 a.m.

I just looked at the video. It's a shame it was narrated by a paid PR guy! But it did show more detail than I had seen previously.

I was thrilled to see the dash-screen wasn't nearly as intrusive as it is on many cars (think Tesla or Ford). It looks about like the one in my 2014 Mazda 3. Just gauges and forget the screen will always be my preference, but I guess that's not going to happen anymore.

And there's still probably no handy cable to hook my Halda up to.

Kreb
Kreb GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
6/1/15 9:36 a.m.

All it lacks is a hardtop version with larger tires and a turbo!

captdownshift
6/1/15 9:38 a.m.

In reply to Kreb:

That's all it needs to ruin it

Mitchell
Mitchell UltraDork
6/1/15 9:45 a.m.

How sharply will NC prices dive?

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/1/15 9:49 a.m.

Interesting note: the NC with ABS used the ABS sensors for wheel speed. The non-ABS version used a sensor on the transmission. The hole is there on the ABS cars, but there's a pin missing inside the trans that is the trigger for the sensors so you can't just install one. We had a fun time hooking up the Terratrip on that car. Meanwhile, to hook up the Coralba on my NA, I used...the ABS sensors

Miatas haven't had mechanical speedometers since 1997.

I think this car will appeal to a very different crowd than the NC, so each cohort will continue to prefer their preference. In other words, the NC prices may not drop as much as you think, especially with no power hard top option.

David S. Wallens
6/1/15 9:50 a.m.
Rupert wrote: I just looked at the video. It's a shame it was narrated by a paid PR guy! But it did show more detail than I had seen previously.

You'll see the video that I narrated shortly.

David S. Wallens
6/1/15 10:01 a.m.

I asked about a hardtop. Nothing yet has been announced. Considering that the hardtop (both stick-on and power folding) has been popular, my guess is that we'll eventually see one.

David S. Wallens
6/1/15 10:04 a.m.

Also, I'll add that Dean is more than a "PR guy." He's an old friend and he volunteered to make the trip with me. We travel well together.

He's also an engineer by trade and his first job out of college was working on the NA Miata. Before the NA was released, he drove one across Route 66. So on a few levels this trip was a bit personal.

TGMF
TGMF New Reader
6/1/15 10:28 a.m.

Sounds good...but can people, who can reach the top shelf at the store without a ladder, fit in it?

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ADcHQJoTMS2p0MUweqkGT2QlbyIRiD6JOPtf6yWGfkSYFQW40KtRjaA2UjgX6rw4