David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
8/12/16 2:20 p.m.
feature_image

This is the comfortable MX-5. The Club might be the one aimed at the hardcore brigade, but this is the deluxe version.

This is also the only way to get a new MX-5 from the factory with leather seats, a cloth liner for the top, and installed navigation. Other standard features for the GT include heated mirrors, rain-sensing wipers and …

Read the rest of the story

Mitchell
Mitchell UberDork
8/12/16 8:48 p.m.

Is the LSD still not an option for the GT? Surely there are people that want to carve some canyons with a toasty tookus.

In my '15 GT, the top goes down until 40 degrees. The seat heaters are a big part of extending Miata season into the warmer winter days. Why not have an LSD for the total package?

Snrub
Snrub Reader
8/13/16 1:43 p.m.

The GT appears to have a LSD.

Frankly I don't understand why the overwhelming majority of cars (let alone sports cars) on the road don't contain an LSD. The cost increase is surely minimal. How many people buy AWD due to perceived adverse weather advantages? A LSD could be marketed the same way. I remember a decade ago it was a $150 upcharge item for the F150 and the dealer invoice was like $120 or something. I get on sports cars it might be used an a package upsell feature, but it seems excessively petty to me.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/13/16 4:36 p.m.

The GT does not come with an LSD in the US. Canada has different packages, I think the LSD is far more common there.

They can be retrofitted.

Snrub
Snrub Reader
8/13/16 9:42 p.m.

^ Sorry for the bad info. You correctly identified the country-related cause.

Stefan (Not Bruce)
Stefan (Not Bruce) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/14/16 12:13 a.m.

In reply to Snrub:

They add an element of servicability and with modern ABS and traction control, many companies use the brakes to provide some of the benefits of a LSD with nothing more than a programming change and the wear items have not increased.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Pff4wVYAR6oLVZNzWxRd5aCfdLZiztlzgfcZt5GR4HqObhT3dHrhdhprVSB4hlSC