Ed Higginbotham
Ed Higginbotham Associate Editor
6/24/16 1:11 p.m.
feature_image

After moving itself from a truck model to a make, Ram has begun to come into their own. The brand used to be known for below average build quality and a slightly strange appearance. But the folks at Ram seem to have turned the corner.

Our test Ram 1500 Rebel came fitted with the 5.7-liter Hemi V8, which cranks out …

Read the rest of the story

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand UberDork
6/24/16 1:24 p.m.

I wonder if they'll ever build an eco rebel, that would check A LOT of boxes

NickD
NickD Dork
6/24/16 1:36 p.m.

Love Ram trucks but I am not a fan of the giant chrome RAM lettering on the tailgate and the rotary knob gearshift. The Hemi firepower makes up for it though

ultraclyde
ultraclyde UberDork
6/24/16 1:40 p.m.

Interesting that you describe something with a black plastic grill/bumper treatment as too flashy. The grill looks like a bad fake mustache. Snidely Whiplash, your truck is ready.

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 SuperDork
6/24/16 2:54 p.m.

Is the ostentatious RAM grill an option? I thought the Raptor's "FORD" Grill was bad, but good grief, that Ram is almost painful to look at.

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk UltraDork
6/24/16 3:02 p.m.

All of the current crop of large pickups look like the designers were hired away from Wurlitzer. If I were shopping for any truck right now I'd be looking at the work truck versions just so I wouldn't have to look at those overly wrought chromed mugs.

singleslammer
singleslammer UberDork
6/24/16 4:20 p.m.

Yeah, these are both overkill.

92dxman
92dxman SuperDork
6/30/16 10:46 a.m.
DeadSkunk wrote: All of the current crop of large pickups look like the designers were hired away from Wurlitzer. If I were shopping for any truck right now I'd be looking at the work truck versions just so I wouldn't have to look at those overly wrought chromed mugs.

Crew Cab Ram Tradesman for me please.

chiodos
chiodos Dork
6/30/16 12:12 p.m.

Is it just me or does the grill have a fu manchu?

logdog
logdog GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/30/16 12:16 p.m.
92dxman wrote:
DeadSkunk wrote: All of the current crop of large pickups look like the designers were hired away from Wurlitzer. If I were shopping for any truck right now I'd be looking at the work truck versions just so I wouldn't have to look at those overly wrought chromed mugs.
Crew Cab Ram Tradesman for me please.

I got one of those.

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 SuperDork
7/4/16 6:14 p.m.

We passed one of these "Rebels" going down I40 on Friday. With zero prompt from me, SWMBO proclaimed, "why would anyone want that, it just screams D-bag."

The 30 something college educated woman, must not have been Ram's target demographic for this trim level.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
beuzQQsGbVXV0xfqi2ARwNLdlc69yndmuwAH1JNRjzvsNgwpEMB8w950OIStMJdU