Ed Higginbotham
Ed Higginbotham Associate Editor
3/9/17 9:39 a.m.
feature_image

If we're judging the book by its cover, the Giulia Quadrifoglio might be one of the best cars we've tested in 2017 so far. After all, it's a 505-horsepower, rear-wheel-drive sedan. And it looks absolutely stunning, but hey, that is subjective. How does this compare to say a BMW M3 or other entrenched sports sedans?

Read the rest of the story

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt PowerDork
3/9/17 9:56 a.m.

Now, here's the car Dodge should have used as a basis for the new Dart.

pointofdeparture
pointofdeparture GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/9/17 10:09 a.m.

The Quadrifoglio is a breathtaking car, sure, but a Giulia Ti with the Sport package is likely close enough for those of us that just want a wonderful drive to work. I optioned one up to $47k on the Alfa site; how many years of lease returns will it take for that to be a $20k car? Two or three? Count me in when they have a CPO program.

Lugnut
Lugnut Dork
3/9/17 10:14 a.m.

The local Fiat/Maserati/Alfa place has two sitting out front. They're gorgeous.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
3/9/17 10:26 a.m.
Lugnut wrote: The local Fiat/Maserati/Alfa place has two sitting out front. They're gorgeous.

They really are pretty, and glad to hear others share that emotion. Our test car looked stunning in red. With a few tweaks (mainly the transmission logics) I can't wait to see where they take this.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
3/9/17 11:37 a.m.

It's drop dead gorgeous. I wish I could afford one.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
3/9/17 11:38 a.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens:

Very kind of you to call it a first year offering. Perhaps of that car.

Thing is, this is the theme of cars that they should have continued in 1975. While the Alfetta was a fine car, it wasn't a 325, and that is where Alfa and BMW really parted ways in terms of competing with each other.

STM317
STM317 Dork
3/9/17 12:09 p.m.
MadScientistMatt wrote: Now, here's the car Dodge should have used as a basis for the new Dart.

Rumors suggest that the next Charger/Challenger will share this platform, since they're using window dressed versions of 15 year old Benz platforms right now, that should be a big improvement. At least in performance.

Jerry
Jerry UltraDork
3/9/17 12:16 p.m.

I might have to stop by the local Fiat dealer and see one in person. He handed me the keys to a 124 when they first came out like "here you go, see you when you get back".

But I'm still interested in a 4C if I'm honest.

CobraSpdRH
CobraSpdRH Reader
3/9/17 12:47 p.m.
pointofdeparture wrote: The Quadrifoglio is a breathtaking car, sure, but a Giulia Ti with the Sport package is likely close enough for those of us that just want a wonderful drive to work. I optioned one up to $47k on the Alfa site; how many years of lease returns will it take for that to be a $20k car? Two or three? Count me in when they have a CPO program.

I am curious to hear the driving impressions on the Ti with Sport Package as well. I wonder what kind of lease offers will pop up when they can't move them like they hoped. Worst case, I could see CPO-ing one in a couple years, as I'm sure depreciation won't be kind to them.

Beautiful car, and the Grand Tour episode made me like it even more...

nderwater
nderwater UltimaDork
5/24/17 12:58 p.m.

FCA is advertising Giulia leases from as little as $299 per month (more like $350 with a more manageable down payment). That's a lot of car for the money; I'm keen to drive one myself.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
5/24/17 1:07 p.m.

Definitely looking at the lower-spec Giulia to replace DW's TSX in the next year or two. It will be the upper end of our willingness range, but I want to see what the 2018s are like.

kevlarcorolla
kevlarcorolla Dork
5/24/17 4:28 p.m.

Stunning but by the time I could afford one it'll be a time bomb leading to a mazdaduece worthy engine rebuild adventure.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/24/17 4:39 p.m.

I never understood why more manufacturers do not avail themselves of the design companies of Italy. Especially the Japanese. Could you imagine Honda or Toyota reliability with a Pininfarina body?

Rusted_Busted_Spit
Rusted_Busted_Spit GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/25/17 9:50 a.m.

I wanted one of those sooo bad after seeing them at the NAIAS with the manual trans. I still want one now, just not as much.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe UltraDork
5/25/17 10:01 a.m.
nderwater wrote: FCA is advertising Giulia leases from as little as $299 per month (more like $350 with a more manageable down payment). That's a lot of car for the money; I'm keen to drive one myself.

Last month it was 3.5K down and 4149 a month out here in California with no tax. They have the TI versions and the base cars stacked up like cord-wood outside the dealership 299$ I would have seriously looked at them last week.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/25/17 10:05 a.m.

Is it just me or does it appear to be impossible to configure any of the Giulias with a manual transmission, at least for the US?

Rusted_Busted_Spit
Rusted_Busted_Spit GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/25/17 10:28 a.m.

In reply to BoxheadTim:

Its not you, the US does not get a stick shift.

Blaise
Blaise Reader
5/25/17 10:44 a.m.
BoxheadTim wrote: Is it just me or does it appear to be impossible to configure any of the Giulias with a manual transmission, at least for the US?

Which is why they won't get me as a customer. Sigh. Especially for the Alfa 4C :(

docwyte
docwyte Dork
5/25/17 3:46 p.m.

I'd still be very wary of the reliability of an Alfa. I sat in one at the auto show and it seemed nicely built, although interior still wasn't to the level of a BMW/Audi/Benz.

Maybe if it came with a 10 year/billion mile everything covered warranty with a free loaner car and a manual transmission I'd be interested.

759NRNG
759NRNG Reader
5/25/17 4:14 p.m.

In a recent comparo by a competing periodical (C&D), the Guilia handily dispatched the other players, but had to be revived at one point by a tech with ecm pacemaker thingy. Still it's absolutely stunning in the flesh (white one locally) and worthy of being in the stable (c'mon lotto) alongside the 'V'.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
5/26/17 8:21 a.m.
docwyte wrote: I'd still be very wary of the reliability of an Alfa.

Well, I asked a number of European friends of mine about reliability of modern Alfas. The consensus was that since about 2010, they have become much more reliable.

docwyte
docwyte Dork
5/27/17 10:07 a.m.

The old Top Gear crew said every gear head needs to own an Alfa, but they all acknowledged that the reliability of them was utter crap.

Given that, and the fact there isn't really a good dealer network here and no manual transmission, I'm passing.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
H6ni6NPpNTpBzEo9xXuSuMRo0ZSdj579QHJNOuBgmAMUHQsnCoecV2y5uWWqs6Fw