1 2 3
dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/6/16 6:52 p.m.

Yes please

Yes it is a rendering but I just saw the real one on tv that is comming to America in 2017 and I don't see much of a difference.

RossD
RossD UltimaDork
12/6/16 7:03 p.m.

wiki says its based on the dart/cherokee/200 chassis family. But doesnt saying anything about the Pentastar V6 being available.

singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
12/6/16 7:08 p.m.

That is sharp. Is it on the 500c platform? The current version is good looking though.

dean1484
12/6/16 7:22 p.m.

They did say the first year the performance version will only be available. MSRP of around 70k. The more mundane everyday ones will come in 2018 with MSRP of 40k.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UltimaDork
12/6/16 7:25 p.m.

I can't figure out why I'm supposed to be excited about this other than 'yay Alfa'. What about it makes it worth buying over a GT350R or any number of Corvettes or an M3?

m4ff3w
m4ff3w GRM+ Memberand UberDork
12/6/16 7:43 p.m.
dean1484 wrote: They did say the first year the performance version will only be available. MSRP of around 70k. The more mundane everyday ones will come in 2018 with MSRP of 40k.

Are you confusing the Gulietta with the Giulia?

The Giulia is RWD based with available Ferrari based 500hp V6, Alfa's next US product is a wagon/CUV based on it.

The Giulietta is the basis for the Dodge Dart, etc.

dean1484
12/6/16 7:54 p.m.

I really don't know they were vague on the details.

dean1484
12/6/16 8:06 p.m.

It was on motorweek tonight.

dean1484
12/6/16 8:11 p.m.
mazdeuce wrote: I can't figure out why I'm supposed to be excited about this other than 'yay Alfa'. What about it makes it worth buying over a GT350R or any number of Corvettes or an M3?

Because it is not one of those.

m4ff3w
m4ff3w GRM+ Memberand UberDork
12/6/16 8:15 p.m.
dean1484 wrote: It was on motorweek tonight.

http://www.motorweek.org/reviews/car_of_the_month/2017-alfa-romeo-giulia/

pointofdeparture
pointofdeparture GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
12/6/16 8:47 p.m.

Yep, the Giulietta is a hatchback that has been produced for some time and is not slated for the US. The Giulia is the 3-series fighting performance sedan we are getting that was on Motorweek.

dean1484
12/6/16 8:53 p.m.
pointofdeparture wrote: Yep, the Giulietta is a hatchback that has been produced for some time and is not slated for the US. The Giulia is the 3-series fighting performance sedan we are getting that was on Motorweek.

That is the one. For some reason that thing talks to me. I don't really care what the performance numbers are. I don't care if it handles like a 1970s GMC dump truck. I want one.

Vigo
Vigo PowerDork
12/6/16 9:05 p.m.

Sentiments like that are the only thing giving Alfa a chance in the US, so im ok with it.

Teh E36 M3
Teh E36 M3 SuperDork
12/6/16 9:06 p.m.

Clarkson voice: "yeeessssss...."

Nick (Bo) Comstock
Nick (Bo) Comstock UltimaDork
12/6/16 9:26 p.m.

That thing is absolutely beautiful. It's also way out of my price range. Maybe I can afford a poster of it to hang in the game room...

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
12/6/16 9:58 p.m.

In reply to pointofdeparture:

After 4 attempts at passing federal side impact crashing testing standards, it's done it!

dean1484
12/6/16 10:47 p.m.
Nick (Bo) Comstock wrote: That thing is absolutely beautiful. It's also way out of my price range. Maybe I can afford a poster of it to hang in the game room...

I am hoping they deprecate like BMWs.

G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man SuperDork
12/7/16 12:00 a.m.

In reply to dean1484:

They'll probably depreciate just as fast as, if not faster than, BMWs, given that you can pick up a 2 year old Maserati Ghibli with 45k on the clock for $40k (at least in SoCal). Sure that's $4k more than a two year old 535i M-sport with similar mileage and in the same location, but the Ghibli was ten grand or so more than a 535i M-sport when new.

STM317
STM317 HalfDork
12/7/16 4:01 a.m.
dean1484 wrote:
Nick (Bo) Comstock wrote: That thing is absolutely beautiful. It's also way out of my price range. Maybe I can afford a poster of it to hang in the game room...

They'll probably depreciate more like Fiats. I'm convinced that if I wait a few more years, somebody will pay me to take a 500 off their hands.

HappyAndy
HappyAndy PowerDork
12/7/16 6:24 a.m.
STM317 wrote:
dean1484 wrote:
They'll probably depreciate more like Fiats. I'm convinced that if I wait a few more years, somebody will pay me to take a 500 off their hands.

If that Fiat were an Abarth, I'd happily take the chance. Will 500s make it to the GRM challenge by 2020?

I actually came in here to make a comment about the Alfa's depreciation. I hope they are DIY serviceable, more like a BMW than a Benz.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
12/7/16 6:52 a.m.
RossD wrote: wiki says its based on the dart/cherokee/200 chassis family. But doesnt saying anything about the Pentastar V6 being available.

In theory, the current Dart chassis is the previous FWD Alfa Giula chassis. So it started it's life as an Alfa anyway.

But I doubt that it will have a Chrysler heart- Alfa already has a good heritage of V6s, and a pretty good series of I4s, too.

My gut says that the GTA version of it will have a highly boosted I4- since that's the direction most of the industry is taking.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
12/7/16 6:55 a.m.

Styling editorial- which applies to all current hot hatches.

From the outside, the only difference between most cars is from the front wheel forward. Other than that, they all look too much alike. Which I really don't like at all.

It's too bad that cars are all converging on a similar overall style for a segment, and the only difference is the nose....

Which is to say that this Alfa looks too much like my Focus for me to really think it looks good. I'm not saying it's the same- don't get me wrong about that. But it does not look different enough.

EricM
EricM SuperDork
12/7/16 7:23 a.m.

eew

PMRacing
PMRacing GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/7/16 7:32 a.m.

I saw an M-Plate Giulia in dark blue the other day. It looks like an M3 and an S4 had a kid but somehow an Italian was involved too. Rear looks S4ish, mid section looks M3ish (esp. wide body) and dront is definately Alfa. It looks very good, but looks like a derivative of super sports sedans. Not very original IMHO.

DaveEstey
DaveEstey PowerDork
12/7/16 8:48 a.m.

I'm mostly terrified that Chrysler and Alfa build quality have converged.

At least its pretty when parked?

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Gy6Svyvt3YpHX7EKcYrKlLnRvC6J8hFXVP1oQZG4aychz2gXcv4KPS6pjgrgkdrY