Ed Higginbotham
Ed Higginbotham Associate Editor
11/13/17 1:37 p.m.
feature_image

BMW's i3 comes to try and prove that electric cars don't have to be soulless appliances. Our press car came with a gasoline range extender for peace of mind, too.

Read the rest of the story

mcompact
mcompact None
11/21/17 10:40 p.m.

I assumed a dirt-cheap lease of a fully optioned i3 from a BMW employee so price isn't an issue. My wife loves it as her DD and I think that it is kind of fun to drive in a suburban environment. I haven't noticed a problem with straight line stability and I usually drive it 20-30 miles per week at 70 mph or more on limited access highways. In any case, it cut our gasoline bill by $250/month and allows me to save my M235i for longer and more involving drives.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn UltimaDork
11/21/17 10:56 p.m.

My neighbor across the alley just got an I3 to replace the Volt he's been driving for a few years.  Don't know if it has the range extender or not, though.  I did notice as he was parking it the other day that it seems to have a really tight turning radius.

nderwater
nderwater UltimaDork
11/22/17 10:39 a.m.

When it was introduced, i3 was the fastest and most fun to drive EV this side of a Tesla. And the idea of a carbon safety cell on an aluminum roller skate chassis really appeals to the geek in me.

But so much about this car seems like it was engineered for the novelty value -- the exterior styling, the interior materials, the micro 'dash' and other controls -- that the car's utility is compromised in all sorts of ways that you wouldn't expect in a small hatchback. It's essentially like BMW made a daily driver out of a concept car with little regard to what owners would actually want.

If you are a trendy single or couple in an urban environment, this may be the car for you. If you have kids and are looking for an EV to replace your VW Golf, the i3 is probably not the car for you.

Our Preferred Partners
fjNy172cYX1qFoSdXJH8Wnc1401Klf2o