1 2 3 ... 6
John Welsh
John Welsh MegaDork
5/8/17 12:20 p.m.

RK has announced the addition of more Zip Tie Drag Events (for cars under $3k)
Schedule Link

June 30 – July 1, 2017 Summit Motorsports Park Norwalk, OH

July 14 – July 15, 2017 Memphis International Raceway Millington, TN

September 15 – 16, 2017 Gateway Motorsports Park Madison, IL

January 19 – 20, 2018 Tucson Dragway Tucson, AZ

dropstep
dropstep SuperDork
5/8/17 12:58 p.m.

I might try to spectate at the norwalk event.

eastsidemav
eastsidemav SuperDork
5/8/17 1:03 p.m.

I may try to make it to Norwalk as well. Heck, there's a chance the truck will be together enough to race at that point, but I am sure it will be way slower than most of what shows up.

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem HalfDork
5/8/17 1:03 p.m.

Hmmmm....Memphis in july. B&S World HQ only 2 hours from there. If our challenge C4 weren't so slow I'd go and try to defend the GRM Challenge honors. As it is, I would only be an embarassment.

singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
5/8/17 4:25 p.m.

I am likely going to spectate at Gateway at the least.

minivan_racer
minivan_racer UltraDork
5/8/17 4:38 p.m.

Memphis in July is going to be a war of attrition. I'm going to put the gateway date in September on the calendar. Norwalk is too soon for me to make.

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
5/8/17 6:14 p.m.

Team Alavanche and PACC racing are registered for Norwalk

patgizz
5/8/17 9:47 p.m.

3k car, not sure how much documentation they like but challenge cars, we have our ducks in a row. $40 2 days car/driver/camping(eff camping). $15 2 days spectator. 12 & under free.

Friday is test/tune, meet&greet stuff. Saturday is some car show and test/tune then 1 hour of official runs

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem HalfDork
5/8/17 10:22 p.m.

In reply to patgizz:

Thx. How many usually show up to compete?

eastsidemav
eastsidemav SuperDork
5/9/17 7:53 a.m.

They've only hosted one before (in Arizona), but as I understand it was very heavily attended

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem HalfDork
5/9/17 8:00 a.m.

In reply to eastsidemav:

Didn't they have one in Arizona in January 2017?

eastsidemav
eastsidemav SuperDork
5/9/17 8:01 a.m.
Ovid_and_Flem wrote: In reply to eastsidemav: Didn't they have one in Arizona in January 2017?

Yup, that's the only one they've had yet.

NickD
NickD SuperDork
5/9/17 9:41 a.m.

I'm going to try and attend Norwalk, because at 6.5hrs one way, it is the closest to me. Not going to be competing obviously, because A) The Miata is hellaslow in a straight line and B) I have waaaay over $3000 invested in it

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem HalfDork
5/9/17 9:46 a.m.

I was able to locate a website dealing with the zip tie drags and hot rod Road Kill tour. It appears the $3,000 challenge is but a minor part of the event. Seems like they have a lot of other activities open to hi dollar cars. The rules are funny because I don't think they require you to submit a budget sheet but rather leave it to a peer review if your car was really built on a budget. Sort of like a don't be a dick rule in the grm challenge.

John Welsh
John Welsh MegaDork
5/9/17 10:21 a.m.

In reply to Ovid_and_Flem:

I agree with what you wrote. From the very core the main difference is that The GRM Challenge is a competition and RK Zip Tie is an exhibition.

Correct, the $3k part is just a portion of the entire event. Here is a video, at the 5 minute mark to the 7 minute mark you will see this guy and his Fairmont's experience being "Judged" publicly with F&F as Judges but the crowd also as jury.

What this event will show is weather or not F&F respect (or understand) the GRM methods to "budget". Some of what he says about the Fairmont build coincides with GRM logic.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/fYIgF-P5Ydo

singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
5/9/17 2:02 p.m.

You guys are going to surprise some people when you roll up and start running.

John Welsh
John Welsh MegaDork
5/9/17 2:05 p.m.
singleslammer wrote: You guys are going to surprise ALL people when you roll up and start running.
patgizz
5/9/17 3:55 p.m.

This reminds me that i need a to order a new helmet and driving suit. I'm going to be too fast for open face helmet and jeans this year. Plan is to get some stuff moved around and get the Datsun out of the trailer, put top secret $2018 car in trailer for storage then get the Datsun into the portable garage so i can get it in the air to pull trans and swap in the 3200 stall converter and give everything a once over. I need a tie rod end boot and a couple little bits.

Time to see what the little old taxi van 5.3 with mismatched head casting numbers really has in it

patgizz
5/9/17 8:29 p.m.

Got this reply today:

Hi Patrick,

So the rules are fairly flexible on this. Ultimately if you are selected it's Freiburger and Finnegan looking at your car and deciding whether it was made for $3000 or less. You can convince them however you like!

Roadkill Team

Nitroracer
Nitroracer UltraDork
5/9/17 8:48 p.m.

It sounds like I need to visit Norwalk and see the show. My wagon won't win any races but it would make the trip.

NickD
NickD SuperDork
5/10/17 9:51 a.m.
patgizz wrote: Got this reply today: Hi Patrick, So the rules are fairly flexible on this. Ultimately if you are selected it's Freiburger and Finnegan looking at your car and deciding whether it was made for $3000 or less. You can convince them however you like! Roadkill Team

Sounds like alcohol is in order. Lots and lots of alcohol.

I know where there is a truly wretched '82 Mustang GT 5-speed rotting into the ground. Should try and scoop that up and Roadkill it together for Norwalk.

wheels777
wheels777 SuperDork
6/23/17 6:48 p.m.

Anyone going?

OldGray320i
OldGray320i Dork
6/23/17 7:04 p.m.

For anyone considering, go. Just go.

I went to the Tucson event in January.

So much awesome.

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/23/17 7:47 p.m.

Datsun on stands and partially disassembled. Few more bolts and cooler lines and trans is out so i can put the 3200 stall converter in. Hope to get these things accomplished tomorrow and have it back together. It's running REALLY good right now.

I forgot to order my stuff from speedway and not sure i want to chance ground shipping from nebraska to ohio being on time so probably just run to summit racing after work one day and get my suit and new helmet

John Welsh
John Welsh MegaDork
6/23/17 7:56 p.m.

In reply to Patrick:

Suit required!!!!!

1 2 3 ... 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Po3ZAQXC53e2L1uCCEVnP6mEQSLAe658hvBVBlglJS4hE2jZA9ZmhWthP9ztrWRz