Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
7/21/17 6:24 a.m.

We are working on some improvements for the Concours portion of the $2017 Challenge. In addition to some more serious ideas to improve and streamline the judging process, I was thinking of building a wacky judge's mobile out of an old MG Midget that I have laying around.

I have a couple of Miata seats up in the attic I can use, but need a couple more to hold all of the judges, as we travel from car to car. Anyone have some spare Miata seats or something similar?

DrBoost
DrBoost MegaDork
7/21/17 6:26 a.m.

I might have a 1st GEN MR2 seat. Lemme look.....

GTXVette
GTXVette Dork
7/21/17 6:33 a.m.

Might have a old Hay wagon.

2002maniac
2002maniac Dork
7/21/17 7:12 a.m.

A 4-seater Midget? That ought to be interesting.

John Welsh
John Welsh MegaDork
7/21/17 8:09 a.m.

I would think something golf cart like would be helpful. Handy for making the long trek from the Tech area back to the Pavilion area.
So, I envision an MG with no doors and two additional rear facing seats or a bench where the trunk used to be. Better add some significant springs to the rear.

Maybe this kind of golf cart logic so you can have both seating or hauling capabilities.
PS: did we mention that there is a pickup truck class this year? Be a Judges car and a contestant?

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
7/21/17 8:20 a.m.

Golf carts aren't cheap. I bought two for the soaring club, DO NOT buy an electric, you'll mortgage the house for a set of new batteries.

Golf Cart frames are just 3/4" square tube, find a fixer upper, lengthen the frame, add an MG Midget nose and tail; done. Now, transport it to Gainnesville or leave it there for 11 months under a tarp?

How many Judges?

cmcgregor
cmcgregor Dork
7/21/17 9:00 a.m.

I have a couple nb1 seats in tan leather that I'll donate to the cause, if you find yourself in the Boston area anytime in the next few weeks.

hobiercr
hobiercr GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/21/17 9:11 a.m.

I've got some janky red racing seats that I will happily donate to GTTF out of my garage.

DrBoost
DrBoost MegaDork
7/21/17 8:09 p.m.

Sorry, the seat is AWOL

Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
7/24/17 8:44 p.m.

janky red race seats. That would be swanky. Where are they, Hobiecr?

And CMCgregor, I usually am heading to Boston in the summer, but am not this year. Thanks though

The golf cart idea makes sense, but we want to put some more senselessness back into the Challenge this year.

Nothing says senseless like a four or six passenger MG Midget. I built the 1275 out of it for an upcoming supercharged Bugeye project, so I will either need to fit an electric motor or find minions to push us.

Andy Nelson told me he wants the remains to put an LS in, but I am not sure this is a good enough starting point.

hobiercr
hobiercr GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/24/17 9:29 p.m.

In reply to Tim Suddard:

They're in Dunedin, FL. Just N of Clearwater. Other side of the State from you but I bet a GRM'r does a cross state every now and then. IIRC DW is part of a team in Tampa. Maybe he could grab them on a trip. I'll send you a PM with my info.

Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
7/25/17 9:40 a.m.

Had a meeting this a.m. with the gang and they put the kibosh on this whole idea. Apparently it has been decided that I should devote my time to more lofty goals.

John Welsh
John Welsh MegaDork
7/25/17 9:44 a.m.

Bring the parts to the hotel parking lot by Weds evening.
By Saturday morning we'll have "something" for you.

coexist
coexist Reader
7/25/17 9:47 a.m.
Tim Suddard wrote: Had a meeting this a.m. with the gang and they put the kibosh on this whole idea. Apparently it has been decided that I should devote my time to more lofty goals.

And overnight, GRM changed into a bunch of pretentious snobs

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/25/17 10:48 a.m.
Tim Suddard wrote: Had a meeting this a.m. with the gang and they put the kibosh on this whole idea. Apparently it has been decided that I should devote my time to more lofty goals.

Does that mean you're going to lift the Midget first, before adding the seats?

tomtomgt356
tomtomgt356 GRM+ Memberand Reader
7/25/17 11:35 a.m.

In reply to Tim Suddard:

What more lofty goal could there be than a minion powered pope/judge midget?

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
GKt2RWjFBbEHtBj8SNRRfl0xNMTMLqMxfBV4L8ZdjHxUaixt43MmcQH6eFt6iJzG