1 ... 11 12 13 14 15
GTXVette
GTXVette Reader
12/8/16 6:45 a.m.

What's EXCEL, so you guessed I can't see the form, Would someone please print me a copy on the Correct Napkin.

GTXVette
GTXVette Reader
12/8/16 6:59 a.m.

After thinking about my request.. maybe you all could put up a copy to look at here, and just the details of the Napkin.

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
12/8/16 7:25 a.m.

Openoffice should be able to handle .xls files for those who aren't willing to give Microsoft their $ for excel

GTXVette
GTXVette Reader
12/8/16 7:29 a.m.

In reply to patgizz: I am Willing, just gave it all away already.

patgizz
12/8/16 7:33 a.m.

Well, i'm not so i use openoffice. Microsoft doesn't make racecar parts, so they don't need my money out of my already limited racing budget

GTXVette
GTXVette Reader
12/8/16 8:00 a.m.

the rules poped up that time, Just bought some christmas napkins, or should it be Host Hotel napkins.

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman HalfDork
12/8/16 10:18 a.m.
patgizz wrote: Well, i'm not so i use openoffice. Microsoft doesn't make racecar parts, so they don't need my money out of my already limited racing budget

Everything works in open office for those of you who are cheap or don't have access to excel.

Converted my old budgets to the new budget sheets, luckily for me I have very few items compared to most of the crowd.

patgizz
12/8/16 1:59 p.m.
Andy Neuman wrote:
patgizz wrote: Well, i'm not so i use openoffice. Microsoft doesn't make racecar parts, so they don't need my money out of my already limited racing budget
Everything works in open office for those of you who are cheap or don't have access to excel. Converted my old budgets to the new budget sheets, luckily for me I have very few items compared to most of the crowd.

Good times racing Budget: car

Done

Ashyukun
Ashyukun GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/8/16 2:07 p.m.

Looking over the spreadsheet last night, the only thing that I thought would be nice to see added would be a bit of 'intelligent' scripting that would take care of tracking the sell-down for you and then stop taking credit for the sales once a purchase was zeroed out. I.e., one the sell-off tab you enter the purchase receipt number in a row and it automatically pulls up the price and then when you put in the sale price it shows what's left (as it does now). The next time you enter in that purchase receipt number (say selling another part off a parts car) it would look up in the table and see if that purchase receipt had been used before and if so, use the remaining balance from that line instead of the original purchase price. Once that number hit zero it would just remain at zero regardless of how many other parts you sold. This would automate things a bit and eliminate another chance for mis-calculations when you have to carry the new balance down yourself.

Though this may be some of the complexity that was mentioned in being left out...

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman HalfDork
12/9/16 1:16 p.m.

Only additional item I'd like to see would be date of purchase/sale.

GTXVette
GTXVette Reader
12/9/16 4:07 p.m.

Andy, My friend, Me amigo,Dude I probably got STUFF on my car as Old as you are or was left behind before you were Born. You think I'm Sheldon Cooper,Let me tell you what I remember.................. In the Morning.... Pee, Turn On Coffee, Let dogs out, Fix coffee,turn on News, Pee, Sorry, what did you want me to remember?????? Oh yea! Lets see, Thirty years ago today,I was 36,Yea that was a good year,Let me get a cup of of coffee I be right Back. OK so Who Did I get that tranny From..... Some Guy from Tenn. at the Swap Meet Maybe Brad Would Know. My first Lesson In TopLoaders, He Said It was A 4 Speed, it is,3 speed W/OD Rare but not what I wanted so the Price was a waste of money, Day Date Place of purchase, Dude it's got to be simple.I've not seen a spreed sheet per se but K I S S

QuasiMofo
QuasiMofo GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/9/16 4:28 p.m.

Suggestion:

Smile, we get to build fun cars for $2017 and at some point print out what we did!

Transfers to Google Docs mostly fine. I'm good. Thank you Tom!

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman HalfDork
12/9/16 4:34 p.m.

In reply to GTXVette:

A spot for a date was just a suggestion. Doesn't need to be filled out, would just be interesting to see a timeline for some of the builds.

And yes I'm probably still one of the youngest participants.

GTXVette
GTXVette Reader
12/9/16 5:39 p.m.

Please Know this is in Jest,But at least Half true, just don't remember which Half

bigben
bigben New Reader
12/9/16 11:07 p.m.
bluej wrote: Pretty sure the host hotel "business center" has printed a bunch of challenge budgets.

And there is always Office Max too. I finished my spreadsheet the morning of on my wife's laptop saved it to a thumb drive and then printed it along with whatever photos I happened to have on the same thumb drive, however, I don't recommend it unless you have no other options. It's one of the reasons I was late getting to the track.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
12/10/16 6:16 a.m.

I live on the road, and and well aware of the many ways to get something printed.

I was just suggesting that if GRM requires a printed version of the electronic form, it would be appropriate to make a printer available (probably at check-in).

I'd actually prefer no printed build books at all- just an electronic submittal, hosted somewhere where all competitors can see it (preferably from mobile devices). But I don't think we are going there yet- it would most certainly cause a luddite revolt.

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/1/17 7:27 p.m.

Any word on when the final budget sheet is expected? I'm waiting to switch stuff over to new version so I don't have to do it twice.

SVreX wrote: I'd actually prefer no printed build books at all- just an electronic submittal, hosted somewhere where all competitors can see it (preferably from mobile devices). But I don't think we are going there yet- it would most certainly cause a luddite revolt.

Didn't see this the first time, but it sounds like a great idea!

We could set that up ourselves if we wanted. Probably almost free since I (and many others) likely already have their own hosting we could piggyback. Probably in grms best interest to host the info themselves though.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
1/2/17 8:21 a.m.

In reply to Robbie:

I agree.

While it might be nice to share among ourselves, I think the real value would be if it was hosted by GRM. Over time, the data base could be built until it was truly a treasure trove of creative ideas, and GRM could even make the effort to go backwards in time and begin including older Challenge efforts. It would be really awesome if it eventually became a data base of every Challenge car that ever competed.

It would also go a long way toward legitimizing the event, and countering the naysayers.

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Associate Editor
1/2/17 10:09 a.m.

Good news, everybody!

The people at the track are back from vacation, and I'm finally in touch with them about those rules questions that were brought up a few pages ago.

We're taking one last look at the budget sheet, and should have it posted shortly.

Thanks for your patience, everybody.

And yes, SVreX, sharing and posting the sheets more widely is one of the reasons we're moving to a standardized format.

There's a printer available at the host hotel, too, for budget printing.

Tom Suddard
1/2/17 11:33 a.m.

And the spreadsheet is now live on the rules page.

http://www.grmchallenge.com/rules/

Tom Suddard
1/2/17 1:22 p.m.

Okay, the track's tech inspector got back to me with their decision. For cars that run slower than a 11.49 E.T., the tech inspector will allow a list of specific violations of the NHRA rule book that we provide. Faster cars must fully adhere to the rule book.

Right now, this is the list:

Windows must be rolled up during drag runs (if you don't have windows, you'll be required to wear a full-face helmet).
Welded differentials prohibited.
Mandatory C-clip eliminators.

What else should be on this list? I'm open to any and all suggestions–just let me know which rule you'd like to have added and why, and I'll keep the forum posted on whether or not it's possible. In about a week, we'll formalize the language and post it on the official rules page.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 PowerDork
1/2/17 1:52 p.m.

The c clip eliminators: does that mean they are budget exempt, or are exempt from the rules of nhra?

Tom Suddard
1/2/17 1:56 p.m.

We mean exempt from NHRA rules, not budget exempt. NHRA rules require that any car that's not stock and has C-clips retaining the axles needs to have C-clip eliminators. At the Challenge, if you run slower than 11.49, you will not be required to have C-clip eliminators.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
1/2/17 2:55 p.m.

In reply to Tom Suddard:

Manual transmissions- scattershields, bell housings, and SFI flywheels and clutches.

petegossett
petegossett GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
1/2/17 8:39 p.m.

In reply to Tom Suddard:

I have a question on spreadsheet implementation: I ordered all my brake parts from Rockauto and used their discount code posted on here. Since their invoice shows individual part pricing, then total discount followed by total shipping, can I just list the individual items & prices by line, then show the total shipping-discount on one single part? Or would you prefer I pro-rate it by line item?

Like this:

Brake rotor - front: $32.66 Brake rotor - rear: $29.64 etc. Master cylinder: $99.00 Shipping: $32.20(which is $46.96-shipping minus $14.76-discount)

1 ... 11 12 13 14 15

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
IilfS8bFl1g9KemrPrcc9Pi2YOh59iws23aibJQdEXtagexjYm095Yvxjr2it9H8