Ed Higginbotham
Ed Higginbotham Associate Editor
3/16/17 10:57 a.m.
feature_image

Honda has been pumping out Accords for over 40 years now. Obviously they have a recipe that just plain works. Our test car this time was the two-door, V6 model with an automatic transmission.

Read the rest of the story

Kreb
Kreb GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
3/16/17 11:25 a.m.

OK, nice read, but vague. It's not an M3, but is it enjoyable to drive a backroad on, or does understeer make it a chore? Does it leave its comfort zone at 7/10ths or 9/10ths?

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
3/16/17 12:10 p.m.

Yeah, you push it, it's going to understeer. And get on the throttle too much, it torque steers. If you keep it within its limits, it's fine. Just remember that it has way more engine than chassis.

Klayfish
Klayfish UberDork
3/16/17 12:39 p.m.

I've always been a huge fan of the Accord coupe, still wish I had one. As I said in other threads about them, I think they compare favorably to a V6 Mustang. I'm talking DD use only...not hard track use or autox, but just fun commuting and occasional twisty road use. From that perspective, I think it slots nicely between the V6 Mustang and the Infinity G37 coupe (or whatever they call it now). Yeah, it's FWD, but as the review said, it's quick, smooth, handles pretty well, very comfy, huge back seat, huge trunk, unbreakable, good mpg. Hard to ask for more.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
3/16/17 10:17 p.m.
Klayfish wrote: I've always been a huge fan of the Accord coupe, still wish I had one. As I said in other threads about them, I think they compare favorably to a V6 Mustang. I'm talking DD use only...not hard track use or autox, but just fun commuting and occasional twisty road use. From that perspective, I think it slots nicely between the V6 Mustang and the Infinity G37 coupe (or whatever they call it now). Yeah, it's FWD, but as the review said, it's quick, smooth, handles pretty well, very comfy, huge back seat, huge trunk, unbreakable, good mpg. Hard to ask for more.

That's a good way of looking at it.

irish44j
irish44j UltimaDork
3/16/17 10:48 p.m.

So clarify....what is the "touring" part? It's a nice looking coupe for sure, but usually the touring moniker is applied to sportwagons or at least something like the Crosstour, or at least something with a hatchback, it seems. Or is that just a trim level for Honda?

Klayfish
Klayfish UberDork
3/17/17 5:49 a.m.

It's a trim level. They offer Touring packages on the Oddity for sure, and I believe the Pilot too.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/17/17 7:38 a.m.

I have always felt that the Accord Coupe would benefit greatly from an "Si" version. Consider the 2010 Coupe with the V6 against the new Civic TypeR:

2010 Accord Coupe
271bhp / 251 ft.lb.
3401 lbs
191"L x 73"W
108" wheelbase

2017 Civic Type R
306bhp / 295 ft.lb.
3000 lbs (est.)
182"L x 71"W
106" wheelbase

Talk to Brembo and Bilstien and you've got a pretty awesome sports car there!

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UltimaDork
3/17/17 8:50 a.m.
David S. Wallens wrote: Just remember that it has way more engine than chassis.

I've been eyeballing a four cylinder manual Accord sedan for just this reason. Yes it's slower, but I think the engine and chassis capabilities are closer to matching than the V6 cars. I'm also smitten with the design and visual details on the newest sedans. Don't know why, but they're head turners to me.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt PowerDork
3/17/17 9:08 a.m.
pinchvalve wrote: I have always felt that the Accord Coupe would benefit greatly from an "Si" version.

Wasn't that a Prelude?

This one looks a lot better than the previous "Angry Russet Potato" school of design that Accord coupes seem to have fallen into since the 2003 version.

Brian
Brian MegaDork
3/17/17 9:14 a.m.

In Hondas case, Touring is the current top trim. Big engine, auto only, all the electronic extras. Adaptive cruise and emergency auto stop doesn't play nice with manual gearboxes. I'll take an EX 6spd.

If you really wanted to get into a sporty Accord, find a '12 LX-S coupe with a manual. DWB front, well matched drivetrain for the chassis, and a nice mesh/micro suade interior.

NickD
NickD SuperDork
3/17/17 9:25 a.m.

Needs to sit about 2 or 3 inches lower. Sits like a 4x4 from the factory

ProDarwin
ProDarwin PowerDork
3/17/17 9:36 a.m.
pinchvalve wrote: I have always felt that the Accord Coupe would benefit greatly from an "Si" version. Consider the 2010 Coupe with the V6 against the new Civic TypeR: 2010 Accord Coupe 271bhp / 251 ft.lb. 3401 lbs 191"L x 73"W 108" wheelbase 2017 Civic Type R 306bhp / 295 ft.lb. 3000 lbs (est.) 182"L x 71"W 106" wheelbase Talk to Brembo and Bilstien and you've got a pretty awesome sports car there!

A while ago they had one. It was called the Acura TL or TL type S.

6 speed
Brembos
Limited slip
270-285 hp
And double wishbones

And most importantly: 4 doors

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy PowerDork
3/23/17 6:45 p.m.

I lived with a 2011 Accord sedan 4cylinder 5-speed. I have to admit I liked rowing the gears and accelerating like Mario Andretti. 152,000 miles with minor issues and that Honda just ran and ran. Trouble is I need a truck to haul stuff to customers and the Accord was finished.

I spy a new Si coming out......

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/23/17 8:05 p.m.

I'm glad they keep building these, wish other car makers would follow suit.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UltimaDork
3/24/17 3:29 p.m.
NickD wrote: Needs to sit about 2 or 3 inches lower. Sits like a 4x4 from the factory

Just a heads up, you can buy completely bolt in air suspension for these that will lower them up to four inches. Not sure how low you can actually drive it around but they can be dropped very low. Not that I've researched this because I want to lay car out in the car rider line at school or anything........

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 UltraDork
3/24/17 3:54 p.m.
Datsun310Guy wrote: I lived with a 2011 Accord sedan 4cylinder 5-speed. I have to admit I liked rowing the gears and accelerating like Mario Andretti. 152,000 miles with minor issues and that Honda just ran and ran. Trouble is I need a truck to haul stuff to customers and the Accord was finished. I spy a new Si coming out......

Yea and the brilliant Marketeers at Honda just released torque numbers only. I get it, they are happy their new Si makes 192 torques but really? Why not release the power numbers as a whole. I really don't get Honda sometimes. So covert with info pertaining to new models.

Furball
Furball New Reader
10/15/18 5:25 p.m.

WIfe and I just bought a used '17 Accord V6 Coupe (6ATX unfortuntaly), and really like it.

Our '06 Fusion V6 ATX was a nice car, nice combination of comfort and firmness for me, peppy, and was near flawless for 198500 miles (save the tranny rebuiltd at 80k). Rust, Suspension problems, and battle scars with old people backing into me finally got to her this month, but she was still mechanically very sound. But, there was no new (within a year or 3) car that we found fun, looks sporty, drives great, somewhat a degree of cargo space for 2, not M-B priced and especually long-term reliable.  Our opinion: Ford doesn't have one, nor GM. 

We already have a weekender Civic Si, and after trying a variety of Accords, our Coupe spoke to us. 

Sanchinguy
Sanchinguy Reader
10/15/18 6:58 p.m.

Drove a ‘14 Accord Sport 6MT for several years until I needed a larger vehicle. Flawless, fun, and frugal. Great car. If I didn’t need a minivan to haul all of my stuff around, I’d look closely at the 2.0 Accord Sport right now.

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
10/15/18 7:41 p.m.

I keep seeing new Accord Sports. So. Much. Want. About 3200lbs and the big Hondata tune gives 287hp and 377 pound feet of torque. At the wheels. So that's something in the neighborhood to 330hp at the crank. Better than 10lbs/hp. In an Accord. Madness. 

Vigo
Vigo UltimaDork
10/15/18 8:21 p.m.

The new Accord is also unequivocally good looking to my eyes! 

I thought this thread was getting resurrected to bemoan the death of the coupe version, but this is much better. Congrats on purchase!

conesare2seconds
conesare2seconds Dork
10/17/18 9:36 p.m.

I plan(-ned) to keep my ‘13 Accord Sport sedan for 10 years. It’s paid for, comfortable, reliable, etc.  

Then...

i saw the new one and read up on the 2.0t. It looks like a Japanese interpretation of an Audi sedan, in a good way, and is quick to boot. So. Much. Want. 

Vigo
Vigo UltimaDork
10/17/18 10:35 p.m.

Yeah, Honda has really refined the everloving crap out of the weird back end they first debuted on the Crosstour and now the back of the Civic and Accord is better than average. Talk about a diamond in the rough. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ynGS6f6adYVT8gX4vAfoR0kzwbtxRd08cxtEEq3WiyecglGa6RXEPWaDNra9Ga5c